Blue Jays GDT: ('14 v4) Next Game: @Pit| Fri, May 2 |7pm ET/4pm PT| B.Morrow vs G.Cole

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Probably the best option at the time, plus he knows the players. There was so many players and coaches getting to know eachother last season it was a bit of a whirlwind. Anyways, Gibbons is one of the last people on a short leash imo. Pitchers themselves > AA > Beeston/Ownership
But Gibbons had been away from the team for 4.5 years, so how well did he know the players? I just think it was a horrible hiring at the time based on his previous stint as manager.

You'd have to think if AA gets canned, Gibbons leash becomes a lot shorter, no?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Other end of the spectrum.

Dickey - A knuckleball pitcher that was getting up in age and didn't have as much success in AL as he did in the NL.
Buerhle - No complaint. He has been as advertised
Morrow- A guy that has never put it together. He is either injured or inconsistent.
JJ - Injured a lot and before he went to the Jays had one of his worst years.
Romero - Really no signs of him sucking.
Happ -Hadn't had a good year since 2009.

You know the year before Dickey came to us he back to back one hit the Rays and Orioles right?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Gibbons decided to pick Pete Walker as pitching coach. A guy with no MLB experience and very little experience as a pitching coach. This is his staff he put in place. And its his staff that is ultimately responsible for getting the best out of this roster. There is no excuse for the coaches, players, or management. Full scale changes are needed.

20 freaking years with no playoffs. Leave the excuse making to Mike Wilner.

Can I ask you something?

When this season started, what did you expect the Jays to do?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
but he did bring in a kid (that was just called up) in a bases loaded situation against the defending WS champs. seems kinda dumb, no?

That would have been a prime spot to bring in Loup. I mean you bring in a kid who struggles against Lefties against a vetern left handed hitter...thats where you bring in Loup.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
See my post above. He built a poor rotation. He also brought in guys that have talent but are injury prone or have no baseball sense.

JJ injury prone, Dickey, Buerhle are far far from that. Reyes is injury prone but Cabrera isn't. He had a tumour. Lawrie gets himself hurt but I wouldn't say is injury prone. Navarro isn't injury prone. Rasmus isn't injury prone. Really he only brought in two guys that have any real injury history. One of the two of those guys is a perennial all star.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
That's where he became a knuckballer. He was a typical pitcher before that.

He was working on the knuckleball before the Mets. Did he not make a start in the AL (with Texas I believe) as a knuckler, but got bombed and was basically gone after that? I need to go look. lol

Edit: Dickey debuted as a knuckleball pitcher with Texas in 2006. He made one start, was bombed and was gone from the majors. He found his way back in 2008 with Seattle and the next year with Minnesota, pitching as both a starter and reliever. In 2009 he made his way to the Mets and started to find success.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
JJ injury prone, Dickey, Buerhle are far far from that. Reyes is injury prone but Cabrera isn't. He had a tumour. Lawrie gets himself hurt but I wouldn't say is injury prone. Navarro isn't injury prone. Rasmus isn't injury prone. Really he only brought in two guys that have any real injury history. One of the two of those guys is a perennial all star.

Forgot Morrow. Agreed with the rest. His biggest failure has been not building a good starting rotation.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Yeah tough guy act, what a stupid thing to say...maybe Jays fans should be angry about the constant failure of the past 2 decades instead of accepting it and making excuses.

How on earth was anything he said making an excuse? He gave an opinion/response to a question. Not all posts are just going to be Gibbons is useless fire him now. The pitchers have been horrible and that's not his fault or Walker's. I would have liked for Walker to have been replaced last year as well but I won't put what our starters have done this year solely on Gibbons and Walker.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
What was he supposed to do in that situation? And what would you have done?

The bullpen is gassed. The guys are wore out.

Jenkins was brought up to be a fresh arm. And it was the THIRD inning. Gibbons needed to get innings from whoever he was going to use in that situation. It wasn't a situation where you bring in a guy to get a couple of outs. He needed someone to pitch a few innings and hopefully keep the game close, since Morrow utterly crapped the bed.

His choices were Jenkins, Rogers or Happ.

I would've brought in a vet to get out of the inning. then bring in Jenkins to start the next inning.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Make the playoffs. Expectations should never change. Its a losing culture that consistently rewards failing and never makes players, coaches or managers accountable.

Can I ask you something. Why is losing acceptable?

You expected this team and this roster to make the playoffs?

When did I say losing was acceptable? When did I say that?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Make the playoffs. Expectations should never change. Its a losing culture that consistently rewards failing and never makes players, coaches or managers accountable.

Can I ask you something. Why is losing acceptable?

These are statements I'll never understand. Who wasn't hoping for us to make the playoffs? All off season the so called apologists said if things went well and we could avoid injury we could be a playoff team. I think that's a pretty clear indicator of what our expectations were/are. None of us are happy with what were seeing right now. They may need to break it down and rebuild it again. If they are willing to continue spending at the dollars we are this year they could move big contracts and rebuild/retool in an off season.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
At worst I would have expected Dickey to get slightly over 4.00 ERA. I actually though Buerhle would be the one that really sucked.

I thought they'd both do well in all honesty with Dickey having a mid 3's era. With any luck if Buerhle can keep pitching well throughout this season if the Jays do fall off hopefully they can move him and his contract for a nice return at the deadline and spend that money on a new pitcher in the off season. That might be the type of season we end up seeing unless our starters get their **** together quickly.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
If they are willing to continue spending at the dollars we are this year they could move big contracts and rebuild/retool in an off season.

I have no interest in seeing another attempt at a quick turn around or a short cut. If they have to blow this roster up they need to re-stock and fully rebuild the organization's minor league system, which is what AA was doing before he lured himself into the Miami deal and thought he could find a shortcut to success.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Its time to change the rotation. Cecil in Morrow out. Loup/Redmond in McGowan out... (but McGowan gets one more chance) How crazy is this? Not that crazy considering these guys are giving us NOTHING. We have the offence, defence and a pretty good pen but this rotation is a huge problem and there not even giving us a chance... When we were up 3-0 we were all just waiting for Morrow to get lit up the guy has no confidence... put him in the pen and let him be the long man and take over for Dickey in the 5th inning. Cecil should be given a chance the guy looks great and honestly there's nothing to lose our season is over regardless if we don't do something.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
You expected this team and this roster to make the playoffs?

When did I say losing was acceptable? When did I saw that?

I expect with the amount of money and future for now trades that were made that yes we should contend for the playoffs. Atleast give this city some meaningful september baseball if nothing else.

If you have a Top 10 payroll and no expectations of making the playoffs why is nobody fired? whats the point of keeping any of these players around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad