OT: 115th Obsequious Banter Thread: 115 Minutes of Fame

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who did "Fame" best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
f***ing atrocious band.

I'm right there with yas. Almost my entire Best of 2021/2022/2023 (so far) Playlists are fronted by women.

Just skimming through and all these bands are all female vocalist led

Magdalena Bay
Amyl and the Sniffers
Snail Mail
Wet Leg
Japanese Breakfast
Cannons
Beach House
Pom Pom Squad
Alvvays
Beach Bunny
Beabadoobee
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Screaming Females
Bully
Squid
Slow Pulp
Blondshell

Not to mention all of the solo artists..

Observe:

I can think of several frontwomen from the last 10-15ish years that I'd trust to cover this song. The number of frontmen who've debuted in the same timespan is...I guess the Greta Van Fleet guy?

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
He threw a weird tantrum during a show in Richmond and wandered off stage like one or two songs into the set and never came back, so I think that Cake is trash and he's deficient

That's about as rock star as it gets. You want to talk about embarrassing though? This has to be the worst. I haven't listened to this in years. I swear. It's so bad, but I'll never get over my love of cheesy 80's hooks.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
You have two avenues this influence really came down. I wasn’t BJA, it was Billy Corgan in the mainstream. And both of them got it from Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks). The punk kids didn’t give two shits about Green Day other than Dookie. Then for the Indy kids it was Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips).

Side note, but I have the visceral reaction you do with Martin Erat whenever I hear Scott Weiland’s voice. Worse than Creed. Worse than Nickelback.
Nothing is worse than Creed. Except maybe Nickleback. Naaa Creed is the worst. I hear Scott Stapp’s voice and I want to pour battery acid in my ears

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Nothing is worse than Creed. Except maybe Nickleback. Naaa Creed is the worst. I hear Scott Stapp’s voice and I want to pour battery acid in my ears

I'm going to be honest. Both Creed and Nickelback are indistinguishable from other generic early 2000s rock to me.

"Higher" is sewer runoff in D Major, but it's not worse than most of the rest of it. It's boilerplate pop rock.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Patrick Stump and Haley Williams are the most recent trend setters imo. Those 2 ushered in 15+ yrs of copycat vocalists. I'm not saying they're as bad as BJA, but they're just the most recent ones

One of those is not Billie Eilish. I love her music. Except Xanny, etc... don't love that side of Billie

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Patrick Stump and Haley Williams are the most recent trend setters imo. Those 2 ushered in 15+ yrs of copycat vocalists. I'm not saying they're as bad as BJA, but they're just the most recent ones

I am. Not that there’s anything wrong with liking them. The only difference is who was 15 when they were popular

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It's funny. I don't mind either of their voices, but I hate their copycats. Does that make me weird?

It's just like...do your own stuff ya know?

Not at all. You like what you like. I have no use for Radiohead’s albums and @Magua linked me a stripped down solo track where I discovered that I don’t dislike Thom Yorke’s voice. The aspect I enjoy is just the part he hates so it doesn’t come out as often.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Not at all. You like what you like. I have no use for Radiohead’s albums and @Magua linked me a stripped down solo track where I discovered that I don’t dislike Thom Yorke’s voice. The aspect I enjoy is just the part he hates so it doesn’t come out as often.
He is definitely the Radiohead expert around here! What a guy. I should listen to RH more. I enjoy Videotape a lot. The hidden syncopation is a wild touch, but I actually do like the song too. I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff I could get into with them.

There's a nice version of Videotape on yt, one of those "live from the basement" things or something. Let me look for it

Found it

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The people who know, know.

Well played. I actually have no problem admitting I get down to this song. It's was love from the first time I heard it in a cool mint lysterene commercial. There's a "summer mix" or something that has shades of Cruel Summer to it. I'm down.

Member Y100?

The day Because I Got High by Afroman dropped, Y100 played it for an hour straight. I was there

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Member Y100?

All of the punk and hardcore shows I’ve been to over the years and the closest I’ve ever come to seeing someone paralyzed was at a Y100 Feztival in the early 2000s in a Goldfinger pit of all things. This girl panicked and dropped to the ground dead center. Luckily enough people realized that they were able to haul her back up and nudge her on her way to safety.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I did? I mean it’s possible. I definitely don’t listen to Thom Yorke solo shit though. :laugh:

I casually (stress on that) like the Radiohead I like — I’m just selective with their stuff besides OK Computer to Amnesiac. I don’t dislike Thom Yorke, but I also don’t care for the quavering hobo shrieks he purposefully does at times, so I feel you, bruv. I too prefer the parts that don’t come out as much.

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I did? I mean it’s possible. I definitely don’t listen to Thom Yorke solo shit though. :laugh:

I like the Radiohead I like — I’m just selective with their stuff besides OK Computer to Amnesiac. I don’t dislike Thom Yorke, but I also don’t care for the quavering hobo shrieks he purposefully does at times, so I feel you, bruv. I too prefer the parts that don’t come out as much.

So funny story. I checked. It was @DancingPanther

Oops! :laugh:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
So funny story. I checked. It was @DancingPanther

Oops! :laugh:
It was? Tell me it was the Videotape vid I just posted lol

A masterclass in forum convo here by me you and @Magua btw. None of us have any clue what's going on

Let’s just be honest: music died with Bing Crosby and Perry Como. Talk about male vocalists!
BURLE IVES MAGUA

I've always said that Perry Como was the Rob Zombie of his day.
Bif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad