OT: 115th Obsequious Banter Thread: 115 Minutes of Fame

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who did "Fame" best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That was cool, and his version was cool, but it just shows how awesomeballs the original drumming in that one is. It's basically a perfect rock song.

Also probably the most played out rock song of the last 20 years. For at least the first 10 years after it's release whenever I would turn on our local alternative station it would be on...just about every single time. If it wasn't that, it was one of those played out Kings of Leons songs (Sex Is On Fire and Use Somebody). It became a running joke between my wife and I. I did adore that record when it came out, but I need another 10 years before I can listen to it again. Thankfully I found a better radio station too (WXPN).

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Also probably the most played out rock song of the last 20 years. For at least the first 10 years after it's release whenever I would turn on our local alternative station it would be on...just about every single time. If it wasn't that, it was one of those played out Kings of Leons songs (Sex Is On Fire and Use Somebody). It became a running joke between my wife and I. I did adore that record when it came out, but I need another 10 years before I can listen to it again. Thankfully I found a better radio station too (WXPN).
I'd like to introduce you to Believer by Imagine Dragons.

I like the Killers and I like Mr. Brightside, but I feel you. It is everywhere. Just doesn't bother me, but I can see why it would bother some people.

I know you said in the last 20 years, but Nothing is worse than Don't Stop Believing on the overplaying scale. Holy smokes. Hotel California is next in line. A good song, but sometimes I'll skip it because I don't feel like listening to it... but it's wayyyyy below Don't Stop Believing.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
That was cool, and his version was cool, but it just shows how awesomeballs the original drumming in that one is. It's basically a perfect rock song.

Conceptually, this is fantastic. I'd love to see some other examples, especially with older songs (i.e. before 1990). I'm not a Metal guy, and I don't like the song at all. The vocals are flat and generic (as are the guitars) with the all-too-familiar "whine" white front men have adopted from Billy Joe Armstrong (blech). Their song, "Smile Like You Mean It," does a much better job, vocally - and it sounds less over-produced.

And where the hell is the bass guitar? Crank that sucker up to 11 where it belongs.

Getting back on track, I think having instrumentalists taking a whack at tunes outside of their published genres has fascinating potential.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd like to introduce you to Believer by Imagine Dragons.

I like the Killers and I like Mr. Brightside, but I feel you. It is everywhere. Just doesn't bother me, but I can see why it would bother some people.

I know you said in the last 20 years, but Nothing is worse than Don't Stop Believing on the overplaying scale. Holy smokes. Hotel California is next in line. A good song, but sometimes I'll skip it because I don't feel like listening to it... but it's wayyyyy below Don't Stop Believing.

Any station that plays Imagine Dragons is immediately banned from my rotation.

The only time I can stomach Don't Stop Believing is at a Wedding and it's mainly because i've already had a gallon of Gin & Tonics.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I know you said in the last 20 years, but scale. Holy smokes. Hotel California is next in line. A good song, but sometimes I'll skip it because I don't feel like listening to it... but it's wayyyyy below Don't Stop Believing.
It'll keep other people from getting into the elevator with you.

• Haha
Reactions: Lord Defect

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Conceptually, this is fantastic. I'd love to see some other examples, especially with older songs (i.e. before 1990). I'm not a Metal guy, and I don't like the song at all. The vocals are flat and generic (as are the guitars) with the all-too-familiar "whine" white front men have adopted from Billy Joe Armstrong (blech). Their song, "Smile Like You Mean It," does a much better job, vocally - and it sounds less over-produced.

And where the hell is the bass guitar? Crank that sucker up to 11 where it belongs.

Getting back on track, I think having instrumentalists taking a whack at tunes outside of their published genres has fascinating potential.

I have spent years spewing unhinged vitriol at Green Day for this. The death of worthwhile male vocalism is directly attributable to them. A hard copycat decline begins when Dookie explodes on the world and everyone started talking funny and whiny. Pretty much all the best new vocalists out there now are women. Even with bands I like, like early Arcade Fire, I'm left wishing they'd found a real vocalist. But overall there are none to be found.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
It'll keep other people from getting into the elevator with you.

Before he somehow became captain America I always thought his career would be summed up as the lesser Ryan Reynolds.

Aliens?

I know a xenomorph facehugger egg piece when I see it.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Before he somehow became captain America I always thought his career would be summed up as the lesser Ryan Reynolds.

I know a xenomorph facehugger egg piece when I see it.
1694020844800.png

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I have spent years spewing unhinged vitriol at Green Day for this. The death of worthwhile male vocalism is directly attributable to them. A hard copycat decline begins when Dookie explodes on the world and everyone started talking funny and whiny. Pretty much all the best new vocalists out there now are women. Even with bands I like, like early Arcade Fire, I'm left wishing they'd found a real vocalist.

You have two avenues this influence really came down. I wasn’t BJA, it was Billy Corgan in the mainstream. And both of them got it from Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks). The punk kids didn’t give two shits about Green Day other than Dookie. Then for the Indy kids it was Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips).

Side note, but I have the visceral reaction you do with Martin Erat whenever I hear Scott Weiland’s voice. Worse than Creed. Worse than Nickelback.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You have two avenues this influence really came down. I wasn’t BJA, it was Billy Corgan in the mainstream. And both of them got it from Pete Shelley (Buzzcocks). Then for the Indy kids it was Wayne Coyne (Flaming Lips).

Side note, but I have the visceral reaction you do with Martin Erat whenever I hear Scott Weiland’s voice. Worse than Creed. Worse than Nickelback.

Same. STP should be a band I like. I cannot. I will not.

I don't pick up on very many people copycatting Corgan. You can't. It can't be done. Voices don't do that; but I accept that he made whininess acceptable in ways it had not been. But, you get a ever-growing exponential shitload of singers using that wretched fake marblemouth accent BJA employed, and so I give him vastly more blame as the greatest negative influence.

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
So this weekend I spent some quality time with my mom and she is in her life reflection stage recounting more and more life experiences from her childhood days etc and she brought up her UFO experience and recounted it in more detail and again not gonna get into the specifics of what she saw and experienced and the fact that my aunt on the same day that my mom saw what she saw ...she saw from the balcony what my mom saw in the field... but even more convinced these things are real. Maybe not all sightings but many are legit....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad