OT: 112th Obsequious Banter Thread: Nearing the Halfway Point of the Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which 1 of 12 is Your Favorite Month?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Could be some severe weather later today

We are in the middle of a pretty severe drought here. I read an article where a leading climatologist said it wasn't due to climate change, but that a high-pressure system was hanging over the Midwest for an abnormally long time, keeping the precip away. It's annoying as f***.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I dunno....while Putin is a thug....having a military mercenary group that smashes prisoners with sledgehammers take power in Russia would be much worse for world security. They make the Bolsheviks look like cub scouts. It would be the equivalent of Blackwater marching on Washington during the Iraq war....

Not sure how Prighozin is going to live peacefully in exile either...

100%; when Prigozhin and his buds were close to Moscow people were getting uneasy here.

Reactions: BernieParent

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
100%; when Prigozhin and his buds were close to Moscow people were getting uneasy here.
He just stated that the organization of his mercenaries on Moscow showed how it should have been done against Ukraine. What a POS.....

Somebody needs to take out all three of Putin, Prigozhin and Lukashenko.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
He just stated that the organization of his mercenaries on Moscow showed how it should have been done against Ukraine. What a POS.....

Somebody needs to take out all three of Putin, Prigozhin and Lukashenko.

I think Luka is a dead man walking anyway, and more time passes, more it seems so re: Putin also

Reactions: Embiid

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
4FF06BBC-9463-4C3B-B10A-98C744D71154.jpeg
B79910B9-DFD3-4779-80C4-CFA5C609BD1D.jpeg

Last minute camping trip. Love that this is only 45 minutes from my house

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I made it about 15 minutes and turned it off

I've never been a Pacific theater guy. European mainland? Absolutely. The Battle of Britain and the Channel conflicts? Yes. The African campaign? Not as much, but definitely over the Pacific/SE Asia theater. I just find the Nazi-led Axis to be infinitely more interesting than the Japanese, from a WWII perspective. My grandfather was in the Pacific during the war, but that has neither a positive nor negative impact in what interests me. Believe me, I've tried to stoke an interest. I've seen "Tora, Tora, Tora," "Midway," Clint Eastwood's companion movies ("Flags of Our Fathers"/"Letters From Iwo Jima"), et al, multiple times, but I'd much rather watch the soap opera-esque "The Desert Fox" instead, with James Mason as Rommel. "Bridge on the River Kwai" gets a pass because it's not really Pacific theater as much as it is a land/jungle narrative.

And no, I've felt this way long before Michael Bay came along and plunked a Devil's Kiss turd of a movie about Pearl Harbor on the masses.

Now the Korean and Vietnam Wars - especially told from the side of the indigenous soldiers - I do find fascinating.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
I've never been a Pacific theater guy. European mainland? Absolutely. The Battle of Britain and the Channel conflicts? Yes. The African campaign? Not as much, but definitely over the Pacific/SE Asia theater. I just find the Nazi-led Axis to be infinitely more interesting than the Japanese, from a WWII perspective. My grandfather was in the Pacific during the war, but that has neither a positive nor negative impact in what interests me. Believe me, I've tried to stoke an interest. I've seen "Tora, Tora, Tora," "Midway," Clint Eastwood's companion movies ("Flags of Our Fathers"/"Letters From Iwo Jima"), et al, multiple times, but I'd much rather watch the soap opera-esque "The Desert Fox" instead, with James Mason as Rommel. "Bridge on the River Kwai" gets a pass because it's not really Pacific theater as much as it is a land/jungle narrative.

And no, I've felt this way long before Michael Bay came along and plunked a Devil's Kiss turd of a movie about Pearl Harbor on the masses.

Now the Korean and Vietnam Wars - especially told from the side of the indigenous soldiers - I do find fascinating.
Ya know... I’ve never really thought about it from that perspective but I’m in the same boat. Outside of Midway, I’ve always gravitated towards the European films as well. The longest day is an absolute classic

Both my grandfathers were in the pacific. One on the Hornet and the other on the Boxer that patrolled off of China.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I find all of it endlessly fascinating.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Ya know... I’ve never really thought about it from that perspective but I’m in the same boat. Outside of Midway, I’ve always gravitated towards the European films as well. The longest day is an absolute classic

Both my grandfathers were in the pacific. One on the Hornet and the other on the Boxer that patrolled off of China.
iu

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I couldn't stand the horrible acting in that show. Conrad was at his worst. I was in my early teens when it ran, so not truly a kid. Just my opinion. I will skip over it when it is on one of the classic TV channels now.

Reactions: BernieParent
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I couldn't stand the horrible acting in that show. Conrad was at his worst. I was in my early teens when it ran, so not truly a kid. Just my opinion. I will skip over it when it is on one of the classic TV channels now.
How many shows back then weren’t like that? We look back now and think man I watched a lot of cheesy tv shows when I was a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad