OT: 105th Obsequious Banter Thread: Penny for Your Thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I'm going to continue the bad vibe of the thread. Calling all doctors, I guess actually credentialed and internet doctors will work because why not.

Over the past month I've been going through various appointments/tests to figure out what is wrong with me... well at least what is newly wrong with me. Based on symptoms over the past few years, I thought it was MS. Extensive blood work ruled out a lot of options that would cause similar symptoms. During an eye exam (same day as the blood test) I found out I had "concerning" scans of my eyes and some field vision issues. I told him about my MS guess and filled him in on the whole process and where we were at with it. He said, pointing at the test results, "That could definitely be MS. Something Neurological. Could be a brain tumor, you're going to need that MRI."

So I had the MRI this morning, or MRIs; brain and cervical with and without contrast. The "results" are already online and even though we're definitely not supposed to Google that stuff on your own before your doctor calls you, I 100% did. The doctor who reviewed them added notes and "impressions". The good news is it isn't MS. The rest of the news doesn't seem too positive, but not "go drown in the ocean" bad. While I wait for a doctor affiliated with my case in real life, I figured I might as well throw out what is being shown on the MRIs to see if anyone has any experience or knowledge of either one. That is right, two things. And I didn't know one was even a thing, but they both seem to cause MS type symptoms, so I was on the right track with my original guess.

First, cervical spine MRI is showing "bony" pathology at multiple cervical levels, with C5-C6 and C6-C7 having pressure on my spinal cord. When I was 24 (36 now) I had an MRI on my hand because a small bump formed on the inside of my right hand, directly above where the wrist connects to the hand. The MRI showed it was bone that randomly grew, which meant bone could theoretically grow anywhere like that because apparently my body has that skill. According to what I read in the results I have so far combined with the hand bone growth history, it seems as though there is bone growth between the vertebrae (especially between C5-C6 and C6-C7) in my spine, which is then pressing against my spinal cord causing some malfunctions in the neural pathway, which in turn is then causing my MS like symptoms shoulders down. Fun things like randomly not being able to feel the middle three toes on either foot and multi-hour/day continuous muscle twitching. I was unware there was a small muscle on the inside of your quad where it connects to the inside of your knee, nor am I aware of a way to manually fire that specific muscle. But an extra bone growth in my spine has somehow found that exact spot in my nervous system.

The second one seems to have been causing the MS like symptoms in my head. My right IAC (internal auditory canal) has a "mildly enhancing lesion" and it is "concerning for vestibular schwannoma". Luckily when you Google this one they put the word "Benign" in front of "Brain Tumor". So that eye doctor guy seems to have been right, it could be a brain tumor. Apparently a "schwannoma" is a tumor in the nervous system (MS type symptoms) and mine happens to be located in the area connecting my brain to my ear, aka an Acoustic Neuroma. Seems like if you're going to get a brain tumor, this would be the best type to get. Isn't cancerous and seems to be a relatively easy surgery to remove it, which is worse case scenario. It essentially grows and starts pushing on the nerves system in your head causing various issues depending on what it is pushing on.

So anyone know anything about either of my new growths jacking up my nervous system?

Only three people know so far (And they only know because my sister called me twice the day I went to get the blood work and eye exam. She called while I was on my way to the blood test, but I told her I was going to an eye appointment. She then called back for eye test results two hours later and I didn't have any yet... so I got caught.) that I've even been on this quest to figure out the issue at hand, mostly because I'm not big into getting any attention, and I've been waiting to tell others once, or if, something was nailed down. Since I'm not really an attention getting person, I turn any bit of attention I get into a joke. If this benign brain tumor thing is real, I'm going to send this as the text to let people know.

Guess who got a b-b-b-b-b-braaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiin tumor! Bwha Bwha Bwhaaaaaaa!
giphy.gif

or

Yes it is, Arnold. Right in the brain.
bfkoyau.gif

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm going to continue the bad vibe of the thread. Calling all doctors, I guess actually credentialed and internet doctors will work because why not.

Over the past month I've been going through various appointments/tests to figure out what is wrong with me... well at least what is newly wrong with me. Based on symptoms over the past few years, I thought it was MS. Extensive blood work ruled out a lot of options that would cause similar symptoms. During an eye exam (same day as the blood test) I found out I had "concerning" scans of my eyes and some field vision issues. I told him about my MS guess and filled him in on the whole process and where we were at with it. He said, pointing at the test results, "That could definitely be MS. Something Neurological. Could be a brain tumor, you're going to need that MRI."

So I had the MRI this morning, or MRIs; brain and cervical with and without contrast. The "results" are already online and even though we're definitely not supposed to Google that stuff on your own before your doctor calls you, I 100% did. The doctor who reviewed them added notes and "impressions". The good news is it isn't MS. The rest of the news doesn't seem too positive, but not "go drown in the ocean" bad. While I wait for a doctor affiliated with my case in real life, I figured I might as well throw out what is being shown on the MRIs to see if anyone has any experience or knowledge of either one. That is right, two things. And I didn't know one was even a thing, but they both seem to cause MS type symptoms, so I was on the right track with my original guess.

First, cervical spine MRI is showing "bony" pathology at multiple cervical levels, with C5-C6 and C6-C7 having pressure on my spinal cord. When I was 24 (36 now) I had an MRI on my hand because a small bump formed on the inside of my right hand, directly above where the wrist connects to the hand. The MRI showed it was bone that randomly grew, which meant bone could theoretically grow anywhere like that because apparently my body has that skill. According to what I read in the results I have so far combined with the hand bone growth history, it seems as though there is bone growth between the vertebrae (especially between C5-C6 and C6-C7) in my spine, which is then pressing against my spinal cord causing some malfunctions in the neural pathway, which in turn is then causing my MS like symptoms shoulders down. Fun things like randomly not being able to feel the middle three toes on either foot and multi-hour/day continuous muscle twitching. I was unware there was a small muscle on the inside of your quad where it connects to the inside of your knee, nor am I aware of a way to manually fire that specific muscle. But an extra bone growth in my spine has somehow found that exact spot in my nervous system.

The second one seems to have been causing the MS like symptoms in my head. My right IAC (internal auditory canal) has a "mildly enhancing lesion" and it is "concerning for vestibular schwannoma". Luckily when you Google this one they put the word "Benign" in front of "Brain Tumor". So that eye doctor guy seems to have been right, it could be a brain tumor. Apparently a "schwannoma" is a tumor in the nervous system (MS type symptoms) and mine happens to be located in the area connecting my brain to my ear, aka an Acoustic Neuroma. Seems like if you're going to get a brain tumor, this would be the best type to get. Isn't cancerous and seems to be a relatively easy surgery to remove it, which is worse case scenario. It essentially grows and starts pushing on the nerves system in your head causing various issues depending on what it is pushing on.

So anyone know anything about either of my new growths jacking up my nervous system?

Only three people know so far (And they only know because my sister called me twice the day I went to get the blood work and eye exam. She called while I was on my way to the blood test, but I told her I was going to an eye appointment. She then called back for eye test results two hours later and I didn't have any yet... so I got caught.) that I've even been on this quest to figure out the issue at hand, mostly because I'm not big into getting any attention, and I've been waiting to tell others once, or if, something was nailed down. Since I'm not really an attention getting person, I turn any bit of attention I get into a joke. If this benign brain tumor thing is real, I'm going to send this as the text to let people know.

giphy.gif

or

bfkoyau.gif

Wishing you all the best dude

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

giphy.gif

or

bfkoyau.gif
Damn, man. Hopefully the qualified professionals you speak to give you good news.

Reactions: trostol

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

giphy.gif

or

bfkoyau.gif
This is well out of my wheelhouse but I hope it’s something like a case of the Monday’s or some shit, tied together with wonky testing equipment. Or realistically something benign that goes away on its own.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

giphy.gif

or

bfkoyau.gif

I hope your doctor gives you the best news possible.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

giphy.gif

or

bfkoyau.gif

Hope everything works out well

Reactions: Superman33

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

giphy.gif

or

bfkoyau.gif
Superman (and I begin with your user name for the irony), I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I will cautiously state -- not a doctor, just someone who gets paid to spell medical words -- that it seems like a relatively good diagnosis to have an operable (if necessary) benign tumour rather than MS or worse. I'll leave more medically educated people to comment on the spinal involvement. I pray that the resolution to your symptoms is quick and complete through whatever course of therapy on which your doctor decides.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

giphy.gif

or

bfkoyau.gif
I hope the outcome is the best possible scenario for you.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

giphy.gif

or

bfkoyau.gif
That's nuts. Did you ever hurt your back? If so, could be an unlucky location of a bone spur.

Another thing - I wonder if it's all related. You could have some pathology that causes abnormal tissue growth or something (remember, bone is a tissue)

The good news is you seem to have found an actual cause of your (worrisome) symptoms. Next step is to work with heme/onc and neuro and maybe ortho to plan some treatment. All the best

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Superman (and I begin with your user name for the irony), I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I will cautiously state -- not a doctor, just someone who gets paid to spell medical words -- that it seems like a relatively good diagnosis to have an operable (if necessary) benign tumour rather than MS or worse. I'll leave more medically educated people to comment on the spinal involvement. I pray that the resolution to your symptoms is quick and complete through whatever course of therapy on which your doctor decides.

I probably listened to that 3 Doors Down Song Kryptonite too much when I was a kid. It seeped into my brain.

I'd agree with it being a relatively good diagnosis. Ever since the eye doctor brought up brain tumor I just pushed the idea to the back of my mind. Didn't even realize there were brain tumors that could be described as "best case", just thought they were all "bad case".

That's nuts. Did you ever hurt your back? If so, could be an unlucky location of a bone spur.

Another thing - I wonder if it's all related. You could have some pathology that causes abnormal tissue growth or something (remember, bone is a tissue)

The good news is you seem to have found an actual cause of your (worrisome) symptoms. Next step is to work with heme/onc and neuro and maybe ortho to plan some treatment. All the best

Nope, no back injuries.

One of the people who knows has a son in some sort of medical school, so she called me tonight to discuss what it is while he was there. I told him "bony pathology" was the word usage when he asked about the possibility of bone spurs. He said it would be referring to extra irregular bone growth, especially since it is present between multiple vertebrae.

That led us to a discussion about something causing abnormal tissue growth. Since I'm having the same loss of sensation and muscle twitching in my legs and feet, we think it is safe to assume the extra bone growth continues down my spine. C5-C6 and C6-C7 are impacting my arms, hands, and fingers. Anything below my hips would be lower on my spine, but the MRIs today were brain and cervical spine, so I'd need a lumbar spine MRI to confirm that assumption. My friend asked if it was a pituitary gland problem like "those other giant people get". I'm only 6'4. I'm a large human but I'm not Andre the Giant large. I feel like it would have to be something more odd, which Googling showed is possible and does exist. And I know I shouldn't be Googling all this, but this is really all their fault. You can't just put someone's results online and then not call them that day. No one has the will power for that.

Appreciate all the support and love everyone pushing the "listen to your doctor" talk. Screw that, I'm going to hold a vote here for each major decision. It'll be like a side quest of that weird stone king orgy choose your own adventure story that was going on.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I probably listened to that 3 Doors Down Song Kryptonite too much when I was a kid. It seeped into my brain.

I'd agree with it being a relatively good diagnosis. Ever since the eye doctor brought up brain tumor I just pushed the idea to the back of my mind. Didn't even realize there were brain tumors that could be described as "best case", just thought they were all "bad case".

Nope, no back injuries.

One of the people who knows has a son in some sort of medical school, so she called me tonight to discuss what it is while he was there. I told him "bony pathology" was the word usage when he asked about the possibility of bone spurs. He said it would be referring to extra irregular bone growth, especially since it is present between multiple vertebrae.

That led us to a discussion about something causing abnormal tissue growth. Since I'm having the same loss of sensation and muscle twitching in my legs and feet, we think it is safe to assume the extra bone growth continues down my spine. C5-C6 and C6-C7 are impacting my arms, hands, and fingers. Anything below my hips would be lower on my spine, but the MRIs today were brain and cervical spine, so I'd need a lumbar spine MRI to confirm that assumption. My friend asked if it was a pituitary gland problem like "those other giant people get". I'm only 6'4. I'm a large human but I'm not Andre the Giant large. I feel like it would have to be something more odd, which Googling showed is possible and does exist. And I know I shouldn't be Googling all this, but this is really all their fault. You can't just put someone's results online and then not call them that day. No one has the will power for that.

Appreciate all the support and love everyone pushing the "listen to your doctor" talk. Screw that, I'm going to hold a vote here for each major decision. It'll be like a side quest of that weird stone king orgy choose your own adventure story that was going on.
Nothing is impossible, but a new pituitary issue would be unusual surfacing in your mid 30s.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's something pretty rare. Maybe you'll show up in a textbook! I'd love updates

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
What is a good set of pots and pans? I feel like we have some mix matched assortment and it’s slowly annoying me

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Oof. I didn’t realize cookwear got that expensive
doesnt have to be but its a nice flex, works very well, lifetime warranty, and they basically become family heirlooms.

I probably have a different view of cookware than most, but my opinion is its worth splurging for a good set if you know its going to last. otherwise just buy some cheap stuff from a restaurant supply store and replace it often. I am also anti-nonstick (except for a small fry pan for eggs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad