OT: 105th Obsequious Banter Thread: Penny for Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
So, half marathon update. Beat my PB of 2016, woohoo - this was the third serious attempt (1st time I ran out of gas 2km before finish; 2nd time I ran minute slower, but track was hilly, so on a flat one that day the PB would had fallen already, but ''what ifs'' don't count, obviously).

So now PB went from 1:51:47 to 1:50:43. Gave it my absolute max as evidenced by throwing up slightly after finish line. Munich track is really good for PB attempt - very few turns, long straights, the climbs I don't even want to call climbs, more like some slopes. And last 4km - when you're already questioning the life choices - are all either flat or downhill.

Now, tho... I slept on the 1st floor couch just to avoid stairs.
I ran a 1/2 marathon in my early 20’s. Dumbest thing I ever did lol. Planned on taking it easy but when people passed me the competitive nature kicked in an ran it in 1hr 34 min and change. I was so fing tight afterwards

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I ran a 1/2 marathon in my early 20’s. Dumbest thing I ever did lol. Planned on taking it easy but when people passed me the competitive nature kicked in an ran it in 1hr 34 min and change. I was so fing tight afterwards
I ran the Philadelphia half-marathon once. I had run a lot of 10k's and stuff and knew I could go 1/2 marathon but I made a terrible mistake. I wanted to see what it was like to run at the front so I did the first couple miles at under 6:00 pace. Around mile 10 I died. I think they found my corpse somewhere along Boathouse Row around mile 10 or something.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Seems the Euro approach to screening just as good or better due to cost and more accessibility.

1) the conclusion of "better due to cost and accessibility" cannot be made from this study. That requires a superiority test. This was an inferiority test. If the endpoints are met, you can ONLY statistically conclude it is not worse than the counterpart. Any other conclusion introduces bias.

2) overall study results showed no difference in mortality (death due to colon cancer within 10 years), but saw colonoscopies still decreased the incidence (morbidity) of colon cancer within 10 years. Why couldn this be? I suspect, since 10 years is not too much time, those who got a colonoscopy but still died were too far along in disease progression that a colonoscopy was too little too late.

3) On a similar note, less than half of participants elected to get a colonoscopy. In the subgroup that did get a colonoscopy vs control, both 10 year mortality AND morbidity were lower in the colonoscopy group. This undermines the primary analysis by some magnitude.

4) I suspect a 10 year observational period biases the results by not capturing deaths prevented by colonoscopy more than 10 years in the future, which very much is a real life scenario considering people are urged by doctors to get colonoscopies starting in their 50s (sometimes earlier if there is family history!) and throughout their life thereafter. That could be 20-40 years of data not captured in this study.

Reactions: BernieParent

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia

Holy bananas, 1:34!? What kind of athletic base did you have? Please, don't say - none - otherwise I'll go in the corner and feel shame.

I ran the Philadelphia half-marathon once. I had run a lot of 10k's and stuff and knew I could go 1/2 marathon but I made a terrible mistake. I wanted to see what it was like to run at the front so I did the first couple miles at under 6:00 pace. Around mile 10 I died. I think they found my corpse somewhere along Boathouse Row around mile 10 or something.

1665414364189.png

Sweet mother of dear God

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
When I was about 20, I could run a ~5 minute mile at 215. Those were the days. I'm nearly 30 pounds lighter now and can get nowhere near that pace. And my calves always hurt when I run.

• Wow
Reactions: Magua and BigToe

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
f*** Putin. Workchat w my Ukrainian colleague who lives in Sweden:

1665414577351.png

When I was about 20, I could run a ~5 minute mile at 215. Those were the days. I'm nearly 30 pounds lighter now and can get nowhere near that pace. And my calves always hurt when I run.

Before I beat my PB, I always reffered to it as ''1 kid and two ankle injuries ago''

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Before I beat my PB, I always reffered to it as ''1 kid and two ankle injuries ago''

I was never a good runner. I think when I was in the Army in the best shape of my life, I was still doing about 14-15 minutes for my two mile. Broad Street is ten miles and it took me almost exactly two hours.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Mine was out on Long Island. I was the opposite.... started slow and then took off around the 4 mile mark.

Reactions: Jack Straw

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
Holy bananas, 1:34!? What kind of athletic base did you have? Please, don't say - none - otherwise I'll go in the corner and feel shame.

View attachment 592197

Sweet mother of dear God
I was only a couple years removed from playing D1 soccer. I ran a ton as a kid for soccer, just not that long of distances. My long runs when training were 7-8 miles. The half marathon was the first time I ever ran over 10 miles. And the last !

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I dont understand people who run. There are faster ways to get around. Bikes, cars, planes, dick rockets. Do you guys not know this yet?

If you think running is to get from point A to point B then - indeed - you don't get it.

*) alone time
*) staying in shape; I swear to got I feel like a fat hippo whenever I haven't run for 2-3 days
*) staying in shape pt2: I play floorball (indoor hockey) and don't have nearly enough talent to be slow/unfit on the rink and still contribute
*) time to listen to all NHL/F1 podcasts while on the run - double efficiency; I plan my run/podcast combo ahead of time
*) stress relief, heaven knows how many deaths have been prevented because I went out for 1hr run instead of releasing my emotions
*) sense of achievement for sure. beating that PB reminded me of all the hard work I put it when on some occasions I really didn't want to because oh no I am so tired from work; some occasions of running 15+km at 30+*C heat etc etc.
*) honestly, running community, with few exceptions aside, is superinclusive. you ran 2hr 10mi? cool! 6hr marathon? still faster than those sitting on couch. etc.

I was only a couple years removed from playing D1 soccer. I ran a ton as a kid for soccer, just not that long of distances. My long runs when training were 7-8 miles. The half marathon was the first time I ever ran over 10 miles. And the last !

That explains a lot. Thanks!

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
If you think running is to get from point A to point B then - indeed - you don't get it.

*) time to listen to all NHL/F1 podcasts while on the run - double efficiency; I plan my run/podcast combo ahead of time
My wife was a competitive runner in college and coached track for a while after she graduated. She yells at me if I wear earbuds on those occasions where I go out running if she sees me with earbuds in because I can't hear traffic. Was (Is?) illegal on US military bases except possibly on a confined track.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
My wife was a competitive runner in college and coached track for a while after she graduated. She yells at me if I wear earbuds on those occasions where I go out running if she sees me with earbuds in because I can't hear traffic. Was (Is?) illegal on US military bases except possibly on a confined track.

Yep, the concern is 100% understandable. But, from own experience, I am 3x more attentive with earphones on, because of being very aware that I don't hear shit. So, at every intersection I check everything around me tons of times, including on the 50-100m before the actual ''danger zone''.

ajgoal

Jun 29, 2015
Yep, the concern is 100% understandable. But, from own experience, I am 3x more attentive with earphones on, because of being very aware that I don't hear shit. So, at every intersection I check everything around me tons of times, including on the 50-100m before the actual ''danger zone''.
I don't run anywhere where I expect heavy traffic, so I'm generally not worried. Plus I'm worth more dead than alive, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $871.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium