Half-Assed GDT: “We got left out of the party” amalgamated SCP thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I know what you mean but I consider Nashville a growing rival.

I mean, would we be rooting for the Blackhawks to win so we can get a better pick? No way. And Nashville has definitely become my 2nd most hated team after them.

I don't want the Preds to win the Cup. If they get by Winnipeg, they're absolutely getting by whoever they face in the 3rd round so they'll be 4 wins away from hoisting it.
It’s a fair point but at this point Winnipeg is basically the same. Our games against them are as chippy if not more chippy than when we play Nashville. We’ve only had 1 playoff series vs Nashville anyway

LetsGoBooze

Let the re-tool breathe
Jan 16, 2012
Watching Tampa play just reminds me how far away we are. They have so much depth, every line is a threat.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It’s a fair point but at this point Winnipeg is basically the same. Our games against them are as chippy if not more chippy than when we play Nashville. We’ve only had 1 playoff series vs Nashville anyway
Yeah, I just don't hate Winnipeg though. I respect them actually. Scheifele is awesome, they have a lot of young talent, and their fans are pretty cool. Nashville annoys me so much. Mainly their fanbase, Johansen and sometimes Subban. And those hideous uniforms.

Meanwhile, Tyler Johnson is dominant in the playoffs. Near PPG in his career in them. Would be nice....

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
We've also shown the ability to beat Winnipeg. We currently have no answer for Nashville.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I don't think there will be much difference in quality at that point in the round. It's just going to be looked at as a roster player and a 1st round pick. If it did come down to being an issue, an extra 6th rounder would make up the difference.
We traded the 28th & 87th to move up and get Thompson at 26th.

The value of a few spots can be a little or a lot depending on what that teams draft board looks like.

If we trade the WPG 1st, then there is a good chance that the trade is dependent on the player the other team likes still being on the board. The Schenn trade went down because Frost was still on the board. We traded Rundblad for the 16th because the player Ottawa liked (Schwartz) was gone.

So a couple of spots could make all the difference.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I think the Avs have exposed the Preds.

1) Rinne not as good as he was last year
2) Minus a bad line change and some bad penalties the Avs could have won today.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Yeah, I just don't hate Winnipeg though. I respect them actually. Scheifele is awesome, they have a lot of young talent, and their fans are pretty cool. Nashville annoys me so much. Mainly their fanbase, Johansen and sometimes Subban. And those hideous uniforms.

Meanwhile, Tyler Johnson is dominant in the playoffs. Near PPG in his career in them. Would be nice....

Hilarious...chanting "Bernier, you suck" on an empty net goal with time running out....then the Avs score on Rinne before the chanting ends.

Preds fans clueless.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I'm looking at it in terms of our point of view. If the idea is that it is going to be used in a hockey trade, the pick itself is huge for a team looking to get something for a good player that possibly might not fit their current roster construction. I wasn't trying to get in depth with possible scenarios. I was saying that from a mindset that we are using it as a trade with no possibility of having it come draft time.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
can you imagine the blues in this series?

yikes

No

I'm kind of glad we lost to the Avs. The boys thought they were "entitled" to a playoff spot. The Avs have responded a number of times to Pred goals with ones of their own. I don't see us doing that. We lacked confidence this year except at the start and in some of the games after the TDL.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
No

I'm kind of glad we lost to the Avs. The boys thought they were "entitled" to a playoff spot. The Avs have responded a number of times to Pred goals with ones of their own. I don't see us doing that. We lacked confidence this year except at the start and in some of the games after the TDL.
You have absolutely no proof that they felt/thought that way.

Maybe we just aren't that great of a team and our hot start wasn't indicative of the reality of our roster? Looking at our roster on paper, that's a fair question to ask.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
You have absolutely no proof that they felt/thought that way.

Maybe we just aren't that great of a team and our hot start wasn't indicative of the reality of our roster? Looking at our roster on paper, that's a fair question to ask.

Correct, I don’t have proof.

It’s just an opinion.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
No

There's absolutely nothing that supports this. Running a roster of 3rd and 4th liners killed us, nothing about attitude was involved.

Reactions: LetsGoBooze

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
There's absolutely nothing that supports this. Running a roster of 3rd and 4th liners killed us, nothing about attitude was involved.

Go back and look at the scores over the season....you can find plenty of games where we failed to show up or failed to finish. Many at home. In several we were up by multiple goals.

Our roster has flaws, but how can you go up on teams and then fail to finish if your whole roster is 3rd and 4th liners?

Answer: we have 1st and 2nd liners too. Maybe not enough.

I would say "attitude" is NOT off the table as a reason for our failure this year. It's maybe one reason among several. Add in inconsistent goal tending by our top guy and poor secondary scoring (ref. #21, #71, #23, etc.). Also add in #17s injury and Vladi's scoring slump. And who can forget the crappy PP.

Last edited:

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The Bruins may have the right mix of talent and grit to go all the way this year.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
The Bruins may have the right mix of talent and grit to go all the way this year.

They could, but much left to learn. How will they stand up to the Lightning? The Pens? Same in the West. How will the Preds stand up to the Jets? The Knights?

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015
I think the Avs have exposed the Preds.

1) Rinne not as good as he was last year
2) Minus a bad line change and some bad penalties the Avs could have won today.

Other things learned, Preds can't take a penalty without some sort of embellishment. Dear lord that was atrocious game. Watson, Ellis, and Subban all embellishing.

Also I pointed this out. Rewatch the 3rd Preds goal, someone please explain to me how Subban didn't get called for a trip? Subban went sliding to block shot and straight up took Barrie out. I guarantee if that was Barrie taking out Subban, he would be all over complaining about the call. Before anyone says he got puck, read the rule change from 2014-2015.

Here is the rule change from 2014-2015 about this play.

Rule 57 – Tripping
The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.
But, in situations where a penalty shot might otherwise be appropriate, if the defending player "dives" and touches the puck first (before the trip), no penalty shot will be awarded. (In such cases, the resulting penalty will be limited to a two-minute minor penalty for tripping.)

NHL announces rules changes for 2014-15 season

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Other things learned, Preds can't take a penalty without some sort of embellishment. Dear lord that was atrocious game. Watson, Ellis, and Subban all embellishing.

Also I pointed this out. Rewatch the 3rd Preds goal, someone please explain to me how Subban didn't get called for a trip? Subban went sliding to block shot and straight up took Barrie out. I guarantee if that was Barrie taking out Subban, he would be all over complaining about the call. Before anyone says he got puck, read the rule change from 2014-2015.

Here is the rule change from 2014-2015 about this play.

Rule 57 – Tripping
The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.
But, in situations where a penalty shot might otherwise be appropriate, if the defending player "dives" and touches the puck first (before the trip), no penalty shot will be awarded. (In such cases, the resulting penalty will be limited to a two-minute minor penalty for tripping.)

NHL announces rules changes for 2014-15 season

looks to me like barrie got the shot off, so this becomes a shot block and a coincidence of momentum. subban wasn't trying to separate barrie from the puck by reaching in so the rule you've laid out is a moot point imo. just a dramatic shot block from pk.

bluesfanforlife1992

Jul 3, 2015
Hard to tell but maybe he did complete the shot because puck went up on edge and looks like it didn't come off of the ice. Still I will argue if that Subban and Barrie took him out like that, it's a penalty no doubt in my mind. That is what ticks me off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad