Half-Assed GDT: “We got left out of the party” amalgamated SCP thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Speaking of suspensions, I thought Doughty's was a little harsh. The NHL will clearly do absolutely anything to favour Vegas.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Which is why we do not trade Kyrou. :)

Respectfully, I am getting tired of hearing this urban legend. There is absolutely no evidence that Panarin wanted to sign anywhere but Chicago. He wasn't knocking at our door, pleading for a contract. We didn't turn him away saying "you're too small!" Panarin wanted to be a Blackhawk, the Blues management didn't "blow" anything.
This isn't an urban legend.

From the STL Post-Dispatch: HERE

"[Tarasenko] told us the day he got here about Panarin," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. "He told us at least once a month about him. They're best buds, they played together, they played in the world juniors together, they played on lines together, he talked about him and everybody looked and said he's a pretty small guy. We all look a little dumb right now."

Panarin certainly might have chosen Chicago regardless, but it's pretty clear that the Blues took a look and basically took themselves out of the running because they thought he was too small.

bigduga

Oct 4, 2009
Dear baby Jesus,

Anyone but Vegas or Nashville.

As a longtime Blues and Cardinals fan, i can abide a lot. Heck, I even mustered up a solid week of “Good for those guys” after the Cubs finally won in 2016. Broadly, I am not one to curse other people’s successes.

But I’ve been a blues fan since i was six...running up on 35 years now, and -after the Dallas Stars, and the Colorado Avalanche, the Anaheim Ducks, the Carolina Hurricanes and whoever else - if i have to watch the damned Predators or Golden Knights with their “just add water” fanbases have the victory parade i’ve been waiting for since i was in the first grade, i’m turning to the dark side the next day, because there is no justice in this world, and at some point you might as well just give up and worship chaos.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I hope Vegas wins it all because it certainly won't be the Blues. Maybe Vegas winning would be the kick in the teeth the front office needs to make real changes. If you're going to copy a system, get out of the 90's and copy THAT one.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I hope Vegas wins it all because it certainly won't be the Blues. Maybe Vegas winning would be the kick in the teeth the front office needs to make real changes. If you're going to copy a system, get out of the 90's and copy THAT one.

I think the Vegas situation is due to the expansion draft and is not something that a normal team can replicate. They basically got to pick over every team's 3rd and 4th liners, with a smattering of 2nd liners. Undoubtedly, some of these guys were better players than 3rd and 4th liners simply because of the particular team environments they came from (underutilized talent). So Vegas got to assemble 4 very good lines and even more depth after that. I guess when you pay a $500M expansion fee you get to start off like this. I assume Seattle will be no different. I can't see an established doing doing something like this given the constraints they have due to honoring existing contracts and the inability to just go cherry pick guys from any team they want.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
It really does though.
It really doesn't.

Being big doesn't make you a good hockey player. It's about how much you bring to the table, be it offense or defense. Size can contribute but it isn't necessary in any way. Grit also doesn't really mean as much as people think. Certain players need to play with grit in order for them to be effective but it doesn't mean grit is a necessary component to a good hockey player.

When evaluating, you look at hockey sense, skills, production and any size/grit is really just a bonus.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
It really doesn't.

Being big doesn't make you a good hockey player. It's about how much you bring to the table, be it offense or defense. Size can contribute but it isn't necessary in any way. Grit also doesn't really mean as much as people think. Certain players need to play with grit in order for them to be effective but it doesn't mean grit is a necessary component to a good hockey player.

When evaluating, you look at hockey sense, skills, production and any size/grit is really just a bonus.
I just think a team needs both to be successful. You need a balance. I think we are pretty much saying the same thing, though.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
kadri hurt his team. He had to know wingels was in a vulnerable position and he had ample time to pull to the side. His lack of self control has really lessened their chances in the series, which weren't great to begin with.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Jake Allen wishes he could play like Quick or Fleury but his movements aren't anywhere near as precise, doesn't track the puck as well, nor is he as fast as the other two.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
This isn't an urban legend.

From the STL Post-Dispatch: HERE

"[Tarasenko] told us the day he got here about Panarin," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. "He told us at least once a month about him. They're best buds, they played together, they played in the world juniors together, they played on lines together, he talked about him and everybody looked and said he's a pretty small guy. We all look a little dumb right now."

Panarin certainly might have chosen Chicago regardless, but it's pretty clear that the Blues took a look and basically took themselves out of the running because they thought he was too small.
Fair enough, I stand corrected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad