Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
A Hertl trade would also have the side benefit of another reason for Pasta signing on the dotted line, knowing he's got a top end center beyond this year to roll with.
If not the primary benefit. For all we know, he could be holding out until that question is answered.

Reactions: Gordoff

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
If not the primary benefit. For all we know, he could be holding out until that question is answered.
Well I hope that is not the case with Pasta . I know it is a business, but the Bruins signed McAvoy and Lindholm long term .

I do think it would be a selfish move bye Pasta if he is holding the Bruins Hostage until they have a long term #1 center.
I think the Bruins have shown they are committed to winning each year. If Pasta wants to be part of that cloture he should and I think(hope) will resign with the Bruins.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
How much cap space does Boston have next offseason, assuming Krejci & Bergeron retire?

With those two- 3.5m , but there is Foligno off the books, and Smith, which is 6.9m right there as well. Assorted other odds and ends also: Nosek, Clifton, Stralman. Enough to pay Pasta and get a good ways towards Hertl, but they would still have to move something I think.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
With those two- 3.5m , but there is Foligno off the books, and Smith, which is 6.9m right there as well. Assorted other odds and ends also: Nosek, Clifton, Stralman. Enough to pay Pasta and get a good ways towards Hertl, but they would still have to move something I think.

still hard to tell what theyll have for me. Odds are Bergy & Krejci bonuses will carry over.
Then they have a lot of roster slots to fill too. 12. They only have 11 under contract. With projected space of 24 million to fill those spots according to CapFriendly.

but I have suspicions there too as CapFriendly has players on ltir next year too. That I dont get.

Reactions: Dr Hook

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
There's also Zacha's three and half million coming off. I think once Mac is back they'll look to move one of the d out to clear a little space for this year and next. I should add we also need to re up Swayman at the end of the year. I'm assuming he'll be on a bridge deal

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Well I hope that is not the case with Pasta . I know it is a business, but the Bruins signed McAvoy and Lindholm long term .

I do think it would be a selfish move bye Pasta if he is holding the Bruins Hostage until they have a long term #1 center.
I think the Bruins have shown they are committed to winning each year. If Pasta wants to be part of that cloture he should and I think(hope) will resign with the Bruins.
the difference was Anaheim told everyone Lindholm was available, but did anyone expect Lindholm to be extended by the team that acquired him no less than perhaps 2 weeks after the fact....

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Hertl just signed an 8 year deal in San Jose on purpose. He’s not getting dealt year one. It’s not like the Sharks signed him thinking they’d be good this year.
Grier didn’t sign Hertl. Grier’s first move was to trade a long-time vet for cap space. His second move was to trade for more pucks. The guy who signed Hertl was trying to be competitive, Grier seems interested in a rebuild.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
There's also Zacha's three and half million coming off. I think once Mac is back they'll look to move one of the d out to clear a little space for this year and next. I should add we also need to re up Swayman at the end of the year. I'm assuming he'll be on a bridge deal

I am assuming they re-up Zacha unless he has a train wreck of a season, which is possible. If he does decently, you have to think he is back on a longer deal, but who knows at what money.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
still hard to tell what theyll have for me. Odds are Bergy & Krejci bonuses will carry over.
Then they have a lot of roster slots to fill too. 12. They only have 11 under contract. With projected space of 24 million to fill those spots according to CapFriendly.

but I have suspicions there too as CapFriendly has players on ltir next year too. That I dont get.

I count 13 with Brad and McAvoy for next year. Still some way short of what is needed and then there are several ELCs in Providence that can come up. It will be interesting, but I don't see how they don't move a player or two out over the summer.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Grier didn’t sign Hertl. Grier’s first move was to trade a long-time vet for cap space. His second move was to trade for more pucks. The guy who signed Hertl was trying to be competitive, Grier seems interested in a rebuild.
Hertl didn’t go through all that to turn around and waive a few months later.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Since Gryzlyk is something of a sacred cow to this organization I think they will put some effort into moving Reilly when Mac comes back.

I'm not moving Forbort with Carlo's status unknown or whatever it is. Even though in the summer I can understand if they want to flip him before a decline hes around that age where guys can fall off quickly.

Carlo is a tough situation but if hes not playing you get that cap space. I think a cap floor team might be interested if we throw something in.

Coyle going the other way in a deadline deal for Hertl makes sense for both parties.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Curious as to what Swayman's next contract will be, although I guess we will have a better guess near the end of this season

The deals that Oettinger and Knight signed are probably in the ballpark:

Knight - 3yr/$4.5 million
Oettinger - 3yr/$4 million

Unfortunately a 3yr deal would take Swayman right to UFA status. As I believe @DominicT pointed out a 2yr deal would have Swayman & Ullmark expiring the same off-season, but a 2yr deal makes Swayman an RFA when his contract is up.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
The deals that Oettinger and Knight signed are probably in the ballpark:

Knight - 3yr/$4.5 million
Oettinger - 3yr/$4 million

Unfortunately a 3yr deal would take Swayman right to UFA status. As I believe @DominicT pointed out a 2yr deal would have Swayman & Ullmark expiring the same off-season, but a 2yr deal makes Swayman an RFA when his contract is up.
Swayman won't have arbitration rights next summer. So, that combined with sharing time with an at least equal quality goaltender, he won't have much leverage at all.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Chasing down a few loose pucks after the Bruins won three of four to start the season …
⋅ At this point in Jim Montgomery’s tenure, how do the Bruins describe his brand of hockey?
“Fast,” defenseman Connor Clifton said. “We’re playing fast. We’re going. We’re getting that puck off your stick, we’re getting it to the forwards, we’re jumping up in the play, we’re going to play some offense.”
Multiple defensemen have said they feel more freedom than in Bruce Cassidy’s system. As soon as a winger gains possession in the corner or along the boards, the net-front defenseman can go. That doesn’t always mean a defensemen is crashing the opponent’s net, but the Bruins want to pressure opponents with their legs.

“You want to get the heck out of the D-zone,” Clifton said. “We end plays, take away time and space, join the rush, then we’re playing 30 to 40 seconds in the O-zone. Then we do it again.”

As a team, they are shooting 13.21 percent at 5 on 5, third in the league. Their save percentage (88.04) is fourth-worst. You’d think Jeremy Swayman (whose two starts have not been spectacular) and Linus Ullmark (solid enough) will put it together.

The Bruins do need to fix their rush defense — Ottawa, as pointed out by NHL Network, scored five of their seven goals after controlled breakouts — and sort out in-zone coverage. All five skaters went sideways at times on Tuesday.

They will look a lot better when they can deploy Charlie McAvoy and Hampus Lindholm for about 25 minutes a game each, sometimes on the same pair. With Matt Grzelcyk and Brandon Carlo both sidelined along with McAvoy, the Bruins are without three of their four best defensemen.

ruins to regular partner Derek Forbort in shorthanded time on ice (3:25 per game) and is one second ahead of Lindholm in even-strength TOI (18:41).

“Generally every team I’ve been on in the past, I try to fill the cracks within the lineup. I’m that kind of guy. I’ve been with Forbs the past couple years now, so it’s like, OK, I’m a bottom-pair guy, I’m going to do whatever the team needs at the moment.”

⋅ Is this a team that thinks it can outscore its mistakes? Let’s not go that far.

“I think nothing has changed for us,” said David Pastrnak, who woke up Wednesday T-2 in league scoring (3-5—8 in four games). “Hockey’s a long season. It’s still early. These kinds of games are going to happen. You see it around the league all the time. Sometimes the puck’s going into the net both ways. It’s not something you plan going into the season, but you have to be able to win these kinds of games.”

A track meet to end a three-in-four, against a team playing its home opener. Not ideal.

“I don’t think it’s like us to give up that many goals,” Nick Foligno said. “They were a team ready to play, had a burr from the previous games and having a home opener with that many people in the stands. We knew we were up against it.”

The debuting Anton Stralman didn’t have his legs under him Tuesday, after spending a few days off the ice dealing with visa issues in Canada.

“I thought he had a really good first period,” Montgomery said, “and I think you can tell he hasn’t been able to skate with us as a group, because it looked like he got a little bit tired as the game wore on. He’s going to be a real good Bruin for us.”

⋅ Check in on this in 20 games: Jake DeBrusk is playing like a top-line winger, A.J. Greer is a third-line difference-maker, and Foligno looks like the player he was in his later years in Columbus.

Foligno has been a solid bottom-sixer, building momentum by crashing the net, arriving on time on the forecheck, and playing sound positional defense. His production — two goals and an assist through four games, after 2-11–13 in 64 games last year — is a bonus.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Since Gryzlyk is something of a sacred cow to this organization I think they will put some effort into moving Reilly when Mac comes back.

I'm not moving Forbort with Carlo's status unknown or whatever it is. Even though in the summer I can understand if they want to flip him before a decline hes around that age where guys can fall off quickly.

Carlo is a tough situation but if hes not playing you get that cap space. I think a cap floor team might be interested if we throw something in.

Coyle going the other way in a deadline deal for Hertl makes sense for both parties.
I had a great laugh from the first line of your post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad