Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
and why would San Jose trade their only known drawing card, which Hertl is
i mean i wasn't the one who suggested it in the first place so idk why you're asking me. i'm not a sharks fan but a little common sense goes a long way here: they are a terrible team and need to do a full rebuild and their top stars are 28 and 32.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
you would think they'd demand Pasta or McAvoy in any return for Hertl, which obviously defeats the purpose. Then again, Dallas got Tyler Seguin without giving up Jamie Benn or whoever so it's not unheard of.

Maybe Lysell & Carlo would get talks started? Hertl would be an incredible add. Could play the wing this year and then take over at C next year assuming 37 and/or 46 are gone.
I think you have to get the Pasta contract negotiations resolved one way or another, before you can make a decision to move for a guy like Hertl...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
you would think they'd demand Pasta or McAvoy in any return for Hertl, which obviously defeats the purpose. Then again, Dallas got Tyler Seguin without giving up Jamie Benn or whoever so it's not unheard of.

Maybe Lysell & Carlo would get talks started? Hertl would be an incredible add. Could play the wing this year and then take over at C next year assuming 37 and/or 46 are gone.
I would think anyone 25 and up would be considered "too old" for a rebuilding team, as they're not likely to be competitive for years. That's why they'd be open to moving Hertl. So that leaves out guys like Pasta, Carlo, etc.

Not sure what that leaves us. Our 1st, Lohrei, Lysell, Swayman on the high end. Beecher, Duran, Gallagher on the low end.

If SJ struggles and Hertl doesn't produce, his value could come down. He only has 1 point in the first 4 games. At $8.1m that's a hefty contract to unload. You could also try to bring the price down by being willing to take on the whole deal with no money sent back. They basically gave away Burns for cap space. Hertl's younger, and I don't expect them to give him away but they might take less if they don't have to take back money. Lastly, Hertl has a NMC so he's not going to go just anywhere. How many contenders can add $8m without sending money back?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think you have to get the Pasta contract negotiations resolved one way or another, before you can make a decision to move for a guy like Hertl...
It could be that the Pasta situation can't be resolved until the 1c question is answered.

ie. Pasta won't sign an extension until he sees who his center will be for the next 7 or 8 years.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
How is it that I've never even heard of this fellow?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

He came up through the Detroit organization for most of his career. I figured if anybody would have heard of him, it would have been you, Gordy...

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I would think anyone 25 and up would be considered "too old" for a rebuilding team, as they're not likely to be competitive for years. That's why they'd be open to moving Hertl. So that leaves out guys like Pasta, Carlo, etc.

Not sure what that leaves us. Our 1st, Lohrei, Lysell, Swayman on the high end. Beecher, Duran, Gallagher on the low end.

If SJ struggles and Hertl doesn't produce, his value could come down. He only has 1 point in the first 4 games. At $8.1m that's a hefty contract to unload. You could also try to bring the price down by being willing to take on the whole deal with no money sent back. They basically gave away Burns for cap space. Hertl's younger, and I don't expect them to give him away but they might take less if they don't have to take back money. Lastly, Hertl has a NMC so he's not going to go just anywhere. How many contenders can add $8m without sending money back?
I suggested Carlo as a player who is relatively young, helps replace Burns on the depth chart (obviously different skillset, don't get it twisted), and makes enough to put a dent in clearing enough space for us to actually take on Hertl. Basically I realize they'd want legit futures and not necessarily a guy in his prime years, but it's a give & take and Carlo should have some positive value on paper (if healthy).

But yeah it's not an easy deal to make happen with any team really. And Hertl isn't gonna just accept a trade to a bad team. If he was gonna do that he'd just stay in SJ where he has built a life for himself.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

because you have to remember the multiple changes in Orono since 1993.... remember there were two coaches in between Barr and Shawn Walsh.... one was thrown into untenable circumstances much like the scenario that Guite stepped into after Red's untimely passing, so was Whitehead when Maine lost Shawn, and Montgomery's connection to Shawn and Orono... even some of the Maine fanbase wanted Monty even when he was not leaving Denver

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
He came up through the Detroit organization for most of his career. I figured if anybody would have heard of him, it would have been you, Gordy...
I'm mystified, because I hate summer and therefore don't bother with the beach. I spend those endless days keeping up with nearly every jot & tittle about my favorite team. Somehow I missed the signing completely. Never even heard the name.

Good luck to him.

because you have to remember the multiple changes in Orono since 1993.... remember there were two coaches in between Barr and Shawn Walsh.... one was thrown into untenable circumstances much like the scenario that Guite stepped into after Red's untimely passing, so was Whitehead when Maine lost Shawn, and Montgomery's connection to Shawn and Orono... even some of the Maine fanbase wanted Monty even when he was not leaving Denver

What is Orono? Tell.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm mystified, because I hate summer and therefore don't bother with the beach. I spend those endless days keeping up with nearly every jot & tittle about my favorite team. Somehow I missed the signing completely. Never even heard the name.

Good luck to him.

What is Ornono? Tell.

where did u think Boston has so many Maine connections in the last 3 or 4 years

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

" the 6-foot-1, 198-pound rearguard prides himself on playing a similar style to Carlo’s stay-at-home, hard-to-play against game. "

Well I for one am hoping he brings some real nasty and some just plan in your face and vastly harder to play against than Carlo.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
" the 6-foot-1, 198-pound rearguard prides himself on playing a similar style to Carlo’s stay-at-home, hard-to-play against game. "

Well I for one am hoping he brings some real nasty and some just plan in your face and vastly harder to play against than Carlo.

He didn't look the part in pre-season- surprised at this. Took some stupid penalties, though.

Reactions: TCB

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Hey guys this may sound like a question with an obvious answer, but for fantasy purposes do you project Sway or Ullmark as the guy this season?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
He didn't look the part in pre-season- surprised at this. Took some stupid penalties, though.
I agree. I didn't think he looked good in pre-season and was surprised he got the call-up. From the way Monty talked about it, it sounds like Sweeney made this decision... though I suppose that's how it always is.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I agree. I didn't think he looked good in pre-season and was surprised he got the call-up. From the way Monty talked about it, it sounds like Sweeney made this decision... though I suppose that's how it always is.
Well now that he's here, time to cheer him on and hope there is more to his game that we've seen. Hoping for a Kampfer level pleasant surprise.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

I read elsewhere that he's 6'3".

JM evidently knows him, has an approving opinion of his game, so we'll see.

Doubt he'll be "nasty," but suspect a solid, stay at home guy who makes the simple play.

At the moment -- at any moment, actually -- I'll taks a player like that on my club.

Again, wish him well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad