Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
But money is part of this equation.

If bad contracts weren't handed out, we would have had money to shore up defensive depth and fill the roster spot with a likely cheaper alternative.

The point of getting cheap value contracts, and identifying those players is part of pro-scouting/GM-ing. If we pay (over) market value for depth players, it comes and bites us. ex. Nick Foligno at 3.8 as a depth forward vs. Corey Perry at literally a 1/3 of that. Hate to keep bringing him up, but it's a perfect of paying too much and not getting enough. There's a few other examples on this roster, and you add that up, and you are looking at a team struggling to stay compliant when healthy.

Not suggesting we would have gotten Perry, but that's where using our money wisely comes in. You use that money wisely, you have the space to fill the important positions; and sign cheap depth.

Is Mike Reilly a good depth piece, better than Kampfer or Tinordi? Sure. Is he worth his contract? Recent unclaimed waivers suggests no.

Like I said, Sweeney likely has draft picks and some floundering prospects to help pay for his mistakes. And honestly, I expect those to be used to fix them. Again.

Bad contracts always hurt but I'd rather have a $3m guy in Providence who is decent than a 750k waiver claim playing in the playoffs who is garbage. You're never going to build a perfect roster and if you're overpaying for anything,I'd rather it be on defense.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Bad contracts always hurt but I'd rather have a $3m guy in Providence who is decent than a 750k waiver claim playing in the playoffs who is garbage. You're never going to build a perfect roster and if you're overpaying for anything,I'd rather it be on defense.
I get what you are saying, but if we are overpaying anyone, I certainly hope it's for the top of the roster; not the bottom like we generally have been.

As well as getting better at identifying the bottom half of the roster and NOT paying them stupid contracts.

For the most part my point is this:
Identify better bottom of the roster players, and pay them accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Really? The only question mark I have in a fully healthy lineup is the third line. We need certain guys to step up and bring that two-way game ala Kelly/Peverly. But this can also be addressed at the deadline if that does not happen.

Beyond that, I see zero holes.

Talented yes, and they're fun to watch, but IMO there are holes/issues.

The same issues as in the past really: no size in the top6, the 3rd and 4th line are buried with Dzone starts so it's going to be hard for them to score in the playoffs. We'll have to see how the D shakes out and who the 2nd pair will be but in 3 games so far Carlo is in the 40's for shots/corsi/expected and high danger chances, so something to keep an eye on.

I was hoping Montgomery would try to balance the lines more by mixing in a grinder with the skill guys, which is his usual M.O. It would also lengthen the lineup and give the 3rd line more pop. I was also hoping he'd lean on Bergy a bit more for defensive starts, like in 2011. So far Coyle leads the team in that regard, and only has 5 (of his 68) starts in the offensive zone. Nosek only has 2 of 61 in the Ozone.

Definitely a better mood in the group. Guys like JDB seem like a weigtht's been lifted and that's great. Marchand and McAvoy coming back is great and going to make them an even better team. But the Krejci line looks really suspect defensively, and they're still a team that has to score off the rush or with tic tac toe plays, and those types of scoring chances are harder to come by in the playoffs. They don't get inside for those tips, rebounds and screens, not in the top6 anyway, which is all that really matters because they get all the Ozone time.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Hertl is also the top drawing name in SJ, NOW that Thornton/Pavelski are elsewhere as we just saw Pavelski Tuesday....

why would u deal Zacha when he's a pending FA THIS YEAR'S a contract option after being traded for Haula to see if he's an option past this year.
Because I think it would improve the team?

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Before the Reilly move.

I've now updated mine to $1,853,695 to activate McAvoy. Puck Pedia and Cap Friendly not yet updated.

The Bruins will also need to send a body down to activate McAvoy.

Any other injury between now and then could push that problem down the line, right?

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Before the Reilly move.

I've now updated mine to $1,853,695 to activate McAvoy. Puck Pedia and Cap Friendly not yet updated.

The Bruins will also need to send a body down to activate McAvoy.

Is that number based on today or when we expect McAvoy to be activated?

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Bruinsguy613

Jul 13, 2022
Why would he take that approach , he and McAvoy are the new core a true competitor which I believe he is would want the challenge . He also has to weigh who can pay him and can they be a contender.....
this is the thing here for me too, if it was all about money then anyone who signs him as a UFA likely isn't in the space to compete (Johnny going to CBJ) but if he stays he's got a good set of guys he knows, a culture he likes and will still get paid.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
8 years / 88m still seems right (and poetic) to me. He’s above the Tkachuk level and slightly below Mackinnon. Give him Panarin’s deal if necessary. We can’t lose him.
I agree. Stop goddamn pennypinching ACTUAL talent. We see what we do with excess cap space, and it's not good. Rather give it to Pasta than overpay a handful of guys on bottom half of the roster.

Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak signed on sweetheart deals, only to be nullified by bad pro scouting and $$$.

Give Pastrnak money. If it costs Sweeney the inability to give the next 4th liner 3-4 million dollars, so be it.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Marchand put on a contact jersey on Oct 17

Played October 27

So 10 days later

McAvoy put on a contact jersey on Oct 25

So 10 days later

Would have him lined up for a Nov 5 return

So I think the other move is gonna have to come soon unless 46 is long term

Status