Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I think it's nearly certain Krejci is only playing 1 year based on some of his quotes. It's a tough spot for Pasta to want to be here after Bergy and Krejci leave. He may very well wait to see how the playoffs go. Imagine the stress? lol
Why would he take that approach , he and McAvoy are the new core a true competitor which I believe he is would want the challenge . He also has to weigh who can pay him and can they be a contender.....

Reactions: Bruinsguy613

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Why would he take that approach , he and McAvoy are the new core a true competitor which I believe he is would want the challenge . He also has to weigh who can pay him and can they be a contender.....

He was the most competitive guy on the ice when I went to see them in Ottawa. Looking in his eyes he HATES losing (and they lost that one). I don't think he wants to rebuild at all.

It's actually very cool how much of a leader he is now. One day someone will put a C on him.

Reactions: Gordoff

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

Curious who it'll be. Reilly scratch and already cleared waivers. Gotta figure it's him.

Can we waive a player again even if they already cleared to see if maybe a team would take him now? Maybe Florida since they lost Ekblad. There's 8 teams that could take Reilly right now, 12 if you add in teams that could with help of LTIR. I'd love to see him gone because of the cap help that would give us, but I just don't see a team taking him.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Curious who it'll be. Reilly scratch and already cleared waivers. Gotta figure it's him.

Can we waive a player again even if they already cleared to see if maybe a team would take him now? Maybe Florida since they lost Ekblad. There's 8 teams that could take Reilly right now, 12 if you add in teams that could with help of LTIR. I'd love to see him gone because of the cap help that would give us, but I just don't see a team taking him.
My guess Studnicka?

Money-wise sending Reilly or Foligno down (even on paper) is the smarter $$$ move. They haven't played enough games to need to clear waivers again, right?

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
My guess Studnicka?

Money-wise sending Reilly or Foligno down (even on paper) is the smarter $$$ move. They haven't played enough games to need to clear waivers again, right?
No, they need to play 10 games before requiring waivers again.

Studnicka played so bad in his one game that I'm not worried about anyone taking him lol. But I agree Reilly would be the better cap option.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Reilly doesn't need waivers then you have to assume it's him. That said, he played really well in the last game so I kinda feel for him

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
that would be hard. Hertl has a full nmc for three years and partial next 5. Plus he makes over 8 M per.
Hertl is also the top drawing name in SJ, NOW that Thornton/Pavelski are elsewhere as we just saw Pavelski Tuesday....

It's still really early but I would move Smith and Reilly out once Marchand and McAvoy return. Demote Studnicka and call up Wagner.

Try Zacha + 1st for Horvat

Nucks obviously need defense but they could use a 3C that would be able to replace Horvat at half the cost.

Marchand Bergeron Debrusk
Hall Krejci Pastrnak
Frederic Horvat Coyle
Foligno Nosek Wagner/Greer

Gryz McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Forbort Clifton
Zboril Stralman

Roster comes in less than a million under the cap and you can hopefully retain Horvat as a future top 6 center here. You still have Lauko - Studnicka - McLaughlin as depth in Providence.
why would u deal Zacha when he's a pending FA THIS YEAR'S a contract option after being traded for Haula to see if he's an option past this year.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
If Reilly doesn't need waivers then you have to assume it's him. That said, he played really well in the last game so I kinda feel for him
I think it's fine to feel for Reilly. At the same time, he has zero recourse. What's he gonna do? Request a trade? 31 teams just declined him on his contract for nothing but a waiver claim. It's not Reilly's fault, but it's a numbers game, and Sweeney investing 17M+ into 5 LD was his big Harvard brain.

And we'd all be lying if the Reilly cap/contract situation is an isolated incident, management has made enough questionable moves cap/contract-wise every other season, so here's the bed they lie in. Fixed usually at the cost of some future asset.

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I think it's fine to feel for Reilly. At the same time, he has zero recourse. What's he gonna do? Request a trade? 31 teams just declined him on his contract for nothing but a waiver claim. It's not Reilly's fault, but it's a numbers game, and Sweeney investing 17M+ into 5 LD was his big Harvard brain.

And we'd all be lying if the Reilly cap/contract situation is an isolated incident, management has made enough questionable moves cap/contract-wise every other season, so here's the bed they lie in. Fixed usually at the cost of some future asset.

TBH, if the Bruins had one more good defenseman, they'd have another Cup and would have beaten the Islanders as well. Steven Kampfer and Jared Tinordi are not the kind of guys you want to drop into a big playoff game.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I’m a huge Horvat guy I would wait out and see if he’s a UFA and 37 and or 46 are done

I don’t think 37 and 46 are retiring after this season
This. Trying to make an in-season move for Horvat makes zero sense, especially when both us and the Canucks have no cap space.

Given over half the league has no cap space, I'm thinking this will be a quiet year for trades, and with the rumored cap increase for next year I think many players will want to test the waters in UFA this summer. (And I hope Pasta isn't one of them!!!)

Reactions: DKH

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I have very little use for Reilly, but he is playing extremely hard. That may lead to more turnovers in the long run, as he skates himself into trouble, but it is nice to see him dig for an extra step.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I have very little use for Reilly, but he is playing extremely hard. That may lead to more turnovers in the long run, as he skates himself into trouble, but it is nice to see him dig for an extra step.
Same here. I'm not a fan of his but he has been good lately.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Process of elimination would lead to Reilly being sent down. No one was on waivers, so that leaves Reilly and Folingo as the possibilities, and Foligno is in the projected lineup tonight while Reilly is not.
and you're forgetting the back to back.... what happens if you go down to 5 D tonight

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Same here. I'm not a fan of his but he has been good lately.
Every once and a while he makes an offensive play where I go "damn, that was awesome", but most of the time I'm left pretty unimpressed.

I didn't love that we brought him back after his original contract we traded for was up and I'm not happy he's still here, but he has given us some cool highlights. I do think the team is better off without him. He's not uselss but when you factor in his over-paid cap hit he shakes out to be a net negative.

and you're forgetting the back to back.... what happens if you go down to 5 D tonight
Stralman is on the active roster still and would sub into the lineup.

Reactions: missingchicklet

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Every once and a while he makes an offensive play where I go "damn, that was awesome", but most of the time I'm left pretty unimpressed.

I didn't love that we brought him back after his original contract we traded for was up and I'm not happy he's still here, but he has given us some cool highlights. I do think the team is better off without him. He's not uselss but when you factor in his over-paid cap hit he shakes out to be a net negative.

Stralman is on the active roster still and would sub into the lineup.
nope, Stralman has only played once in Ottawa, since his contract was upgraded......

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
TBH, if the Bruins had one more good defenseman, they'd have another Cup and would have beaten the Islanders as well. Steven Kampfer and Jared Tinordi are not the kind of guys you want to drop into a big playoff game.
But money is part of this equation.

If bad contracts weren't handed out, we would have had money to shore up defensive depth and fill the roster spot with a likely cheaper alternative.

The point of getting cheap value contracts, and identifying those players is part of pro-scouting/GM-ing. If we pay (over) market value for depth players, it comes and bites us. ex. Nick Foligno at 3.8 as a depth forward vs. Corey Perry at literally a 1/3 of that. Hate to keep bringing him up, but it's a perfect of paying too much and not getting enough. There's a few other examples on this roster, and you add that up, and you are looking at a team struggling to stay compliant when healthy.

Not suggesting we would have gotten Perry, but that's where using our money wisely comes in. You use that money wisely, you have the space to fill the important positions; and sign cheap depth.

Is Mike Reilly a good depth piece, better than Kampfer or Tinordi? Sure. Is he worth his contract? Recent unclaimed waivers suggests no.

Like I said, Sweeney likely has draft picks and some floundering prospects to help pay for his mistakes. And honestly, I expect those to be used to fix them. Again.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Stralman's visa issue were resolved and he's active and with the team.

I have more confidence in Reilly then Stralman.... and you don't change what isn't broken now that Gryz is back as will McAvoy; Stralman's the one likely gone when McAvoy returns,,,,,

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I have more confidence in Reilly then Stralman.... and you don't change what isn't broken now that Gryz is back as will McAvoy
I don't have a ton of confidence in either. We'll have to root for no injuries!

Reilly going down saves more on the cap, so unfortunately I think he's the victim of the numbers game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad