Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'd like to assume they've got their ducks in a row.

But I feel like Sweeney caught with his pants down has happened a few too many times for me to just trust the process.
You are dead on with that one " caught with his pants down " all too familiar with him ........

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Anyone else getting worried about Pastrnaks contract? Quarter of the way through the season and seems to be zero news on any negotiations or progress. We're gonna reach a point soon where this is gonna start to become a team distraction wondering if they can get this done or if Pasta wants to end up walking. Guy is on fire and deserves to get paid, get it done

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Every day they wait, the less cap they clear with a trade.
Passively trying to figure things out it seems...

Either that or no team wants Reilly or Smith. And can't think of a reason why any team would right now.

Anyone else getting worried about Pastrnaks contract? Quarter of the way through the season and seems to be zero news on any negotiations or progress. We're gonna reach a point soon where this is gonna start to become a team distraction wondering if they can get this done or if Pasta wants to end up walking. Guy is on fire and deserves to get paid, get it done

Honestly the fact that he said they were going to aggressively pursue re-signing him, and they didn't have a deal by training camp, I was worried.

We passed the US Thanksgiving mark of the season.

But realistically, if there's no deal by the new year, they need to figure out what they are doing.

Letting him walk for nothing would set the franchise back quite a bit.

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I think they get a deal done, look at Forsberg with the Preds, it went right down to the wire.

Reactions: StonedZboril

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

They might be more worried about who they are moving out to get themselves under the cap first. That could also effect Pasta is it means moving out a player with term or if it's a ufa. They have some shuffling to do and need to out bluff the other 31 GMs about their game plan.

I also don't think they trade him if he's said that he won't resign simply for the fact that this could be the final year of Bergeron, DK and even Uncle Nick. Let's not worry too much and enjoy the ride

Reactions: bme44

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I think the framework is in place. It's the little details like how much/which years will he get signing bonuses, etc that they are trying to figure out.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Every day they wait, the less cap they clear with a trade.
I honestly thought Montgomery said Forbort was ready yesterday when he meant next Saturday Dec. 3rd :laugh:. According to Capfriendly, there may only be around 7 teams that could help the Bruins. Bruins still have time to make a deal, but let's see if Sweeney is able to make a move to clear cap without mortgaging the future.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I honestly thought Montgomery said Forbort was ready yesterday when he meant next Saturday Dec. 3rd :laugh:. According to Capfriendly, there may only be around 7 teams that could help the Bruins. Bruins still have time to make a deal, but let's see if Sweeney is able to make a move to clear cap without mortgaging the future.
how far do you think the bruins are gonna bend over on this? i feel like worst case scenario is they give up a 3rd rounder/prospect of
equal value to move reilly. he's an NHL regular and teams need defensemen. don't see it being worse than that. also assume a contract
is coming back (something minor; hypothetically like reilly/3rd for nick holden).

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
how far do you think the bruins are gonna bend over on this? i feel like worst case scenario is they give up a 3rd rounder/prospect of
equal value to move reilly. he's an NHL regular and teams need defensemen. don't see it being worse than that. also assume a contract
is coming back (something minor; hypothetically like reilly/3rd for nick holden).
If anyone told me at the beginning of the season that Reilly would pass waivers multiple times and Smith would have a horrible season, then I wouldn't believe them. I thought both would be regulars on this roster, and if needed, would have been easier to move.

With Reilly, I didn't expect it, but it makes sense that teams would rather work out a deal with the Bruins and get something more in return rather than just straight up claim Reilly. Smith is probably immovable.

If the Bruins need around $3M in cap space to activate Forbort, they need to at least free up 1.6m. With the Bruins being in first place, I don't think Reilly moves the needle for teams to give the Bruins a handout. There's an Ottawa connection there with Reilly, but the Senators are looking to re-sign most of their UFAs and RFAs in the offseason. That extra year on Reilly's contract doesn't help too much either. There have been rumors from Friedman that Ottawa is trying to move Zaitsev and even talks of a Myers for Zaitsev swap. I don't think Reilly provides the same kind of game Hamonic, Myers, or Zaitsev provide. If anything, I think Carlo makes a lot of sense for Ottawa, but I don't see why the Bruins would move him. On the 22nd, Garrioch mentioned that the Sens reached out to 10-15 teams about defensemen. I don't think the timetables match for both teams, Boston/Ottawa, to make a deal before Saturday.

We have seen teams like Tampa Bay make some crazy trades to be cap compliant, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins can make a deal to free up cap space, but I'm not as confident as I was earlier in the season.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Felger and Ty think they should try

But not as a rental

1669614452906.png

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
If anyone told me at the beginning of the season that Reilly would pass waivers multiple times and Smith would have a horrible season, then I wouldn't believe them. I thought both would be regulars on this roster, and if needed, would have been easier to move.

With Reilly, I didn't expect it, but it makes sense that teams would rather work out a deal with the Bruins and get something more in return rather than just straight up claim Reilly. Smith is probably immovable.

If the Bruins need around $3M in cap space to activate Forbort, they need to at least free up 1.6m. With the Bruins being in first place, I don't think Reilly moves the needle for teams to give the Bruins a handout. There's an Ottawa connection there with Reilly, but the Senators are looking to re-sign most of their UFAs and RFAs in the offseason. That extra year on Reilly's contract doesn't help too much either. There have been rumors from Friedman that Ottawa is trying to move Zaitsev and even talks of a Myers for Zaitsev swap. I don't think Reilly provides the same kind of game Hamonic, Myers, or Zaitsev provide. If anything, I think Carlo makes a lot of sense for Ottawa, but I don't see why the Bruins would move him. On the 22nd, Garrioch mentioned that the Sens reached out to 10-15 teams about defensemen. I don't think the timetables match for both teams, Boston/Ottawa, to make a deal before Saturday.

We have seen teams like Tampa Bay make some crazy trades to be cap compliant, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Bruins can make a deal to free up cap space, but I'm not as confident as I was earlier in the season.
Hypothetically, rewind to July. First day of free agency, do you think Smith or Reilly get claimed?

I think they would have at that point.

Our best bet is sending Reilly + a pick for 2 players making adding up to the same salary and hope someone bites.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
I think they get a deal done, look at Forsberg with the Preds, it went right down to the wire.
I'd prefer it not take that long.

If he re-signs in the end that's all that matters. But for the little anxious voice in my head, I'd really like them to just seal it up. He's too valuable of a player to let leave.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
For anyone curious, haven't watched him in Providence, but he's got 3 points in 4 games.

Hopefully lessening the cost to move him.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

But not as a rental

View attachment 613824
My money is that Patrick Kane ends up with the Islanders.…or possibly the Devils. They’ve got the assets and the cap space to be creative enough to make it work with Chicago. The idea of bringing him to Boston is great for media ratings and internet board discussions, but there’s a snowball’s chance in hell that it’ll happen…….And that’s a good thing.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Feel numb to it by now

Feels like neither side is budging....and they will get something done (hopefully) at the end of the season/offseason

Reactions: bbfan419

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

But not as a rental

View attachment 613824
Kane is struggling this year???

My money is that Patrick Kane ends up with the Islanders.…or possibly the Devils. They’ve got the assets and the cap space to be creative enough to make it work with Chicago. The idea of bringing him to Boston is great for media ratings and internet board discussions, but there’s a snowball’s chance in hell that it’ll happen…….And that’s a good thing.
I believe Kane will end up in his home town...

Reactions: bbfan419

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Yes I’m concerned. When it wasn’t done in the off-season I got concerned and I get more anxious by the week.

Reactions: Fenian24

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

I don't think it is going to be resolved in season. If we sign him, I believe it will be a Filip Forsberg situation where the contract gets signed a day before UFA.

There is some factor hanging this up besides money. Either Pastrnak wants to be persuaded that the team will be competitive going forward, or he is intrigued by playing in a specific city (usually LA, NY or Miami). If it is the later, we could be in a tough spot.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
and 4 million for Swayman (Oettinger comp)

I think 9 might be a little high for Horvat but who knows. At least 8.

We are all living on top of the world right now I mean we are 15-2 but we are doing it at a cost. Between Bergeron and Krejci we have 4.5 in performance bonuses next year and we need to shed at least 1.3ish to be compliant by the time Forbort comes back.

Moving both Reilly and Smith is a must, not just for the short term but to be competitive for next year and have a chance on a guy like Horvat. It would extend the window for years.

Bruins should consider moving their 1st + Reilly for a teams 2nd. I think Smith gets claimed.
We absolutely cannot move our first to dump cap. Especially in one of the deepest drafts in a long time. I would think we retain and send say smith to team a like phx/Ana and they then hold half the remaining making smith a million dollar player and valuable to a cap strapped team looking for a scoring winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad