Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think ideally for a playoff roster, AJ Greer is your 13th forward. You can go out and get an impact Top 9 guy - that doesn't have to be Patrick Kane - and go with Foligno-Nosek-Freddy as your fourth. Alternately, you can go get a Goodrow type (from a couple years ago) for your fourth line and make it more impactful.
it's pretty early to be talking deadline targets, but looking at pending UFAs and their current production I could see Max Domi being a good 3rd line fit. He was very good against us in the Carolina series last year and I came away wishing Sweeney had landed him at the deadline last year.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Feel numb to it by now

Feels like neither side is budging....and they will get something done (hopefully) at the end of the season/offseason

I don't think it is going to be resolved in season. If we sign him, I believe it will be a Filip Forsberg situation where the contract gets signed a day before UFA.

There is some factor hanging this up besides money. Either Pastrnak wants to be persuaded that the team will be competitive going forward, or he is intrigued by playing in a specific city (usually LA, NY or Miami). If it is the later, we could be in a tough spot.
My fear with this situation is that it's going to become a huge distraction for a team that's rolling along smoothly. The longer this drags out towards the trade deadline the more noise and chatter there will be. Even if they don't plan on trading him it'll be a constant stream of speculation and media attention all the way through the end of the year wondering if Pasta will walk. In a year where they're looking like they could be serious contenders this kind of thing could really throw a wrench in an amazing season

Reactions: Gordoff

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
given the general desire to remain deep on D and the surplus of forwards they have already, I gotta think the primary desire at this point is to move Smith, not Reilly.

There were rumblings last week that they were talking to Ottawa and many of us assumed it was about Reilly b/c of his past connection to them, but I wonder if they might be interested in Smith.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
An all in move would be something like Reilly + Smith + 2023 1st + Beacher for Debrincat 50% retained, likely have to upgrade Beacher to Freddy or Lauko or maybe Zboril?

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I think ideally for a playoff roster, AJ Greer is your 13th forward. You can go out and get an impact Top 9 guy - that doesn't have to be Patrick Kane - and go with Foligno-Nosek-Freddy as your fourth. Alternately, you can go get a Goodrow type (from a couple years ago) for your fourth line and make it more impactful.
Similar to the deals like Coleman or Paul. Not sure if they played 3rd line for TB when acquired, but it wasn't teams top targets but worked out nicely. Craig Smith could be that be but I don't know what happened to him. He's a shell

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I'm like George Constanza's Opposite Day with Felger. Felger says go left, I will go right every day of the week and be happy. Regardless of the outcome. That guy puts my teeth on edge so hard that I can't be bothered to listen to anything he says.

Like listening to Alexi Lalas.
Lalas is a dink.

Reactions: Number8

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
given the general desire to remain deep on D and the surplus of forwards they have already, I gotta think the primary desire at this point is to move Smith, not Reilly.

There were rumblings last week that they were talking to Ottawa and many of us assumed it was about Reilly b/c of his past connection to them, but I wonder if they might be interested in Smith.
Reilly's the one likely going..... that's why he didn't report initially the 2nd time to Providence, and wasn't it reported that Reilly asked to be dealt rather than spend the next 3 months in Providence....

Craig Smith's injury issues aren't helping that cause, but I doubt he's going anywhere.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
An all in move would be something like Reilly + Smith + 2023 1st + Beacher for Debrincat 50% retained, likely have to upgrade Beacher to Freddy or Lauko or maybe Zboril?
Beecher.

I don’t think they’d want to get someone that expensive with term - ADB will get $8M+ after this year. I’d set sights lower towards a vet UFA rather than adding even more cap to the wings long term. A centerman would be a different story.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Don't know how much value Reilly & Smith add to a deal for Ottawa. They could have had Reilly for free via waivers and Smith is having maybe the worst years of his career. With that in mind, 1st + Beecher doesn't net you DeBrincat, let alone DeBrincat at 50% retained.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
who is this directed at? Lindholm and McAvoy have played a total of 28 5v5 minutes together this year. that's 28 out of the 129 minutes that McAvoy has played 5v5 since returning. They are generally not being played together except situationally.

Today's practice pairings.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Don't know how much value Reilly & Smith add to a deal for Ottawa. They could have had Reilly for free via waivers and Smith is having maybe the worst years of his career. With that in mind, 1st + Beecher doesn't net you DeBrincat, let alone DeBrincat at 50% retained.
Hahah I struggled to :
1. Find a player I wanted
2. Find a team with a player that could take Smith and Reilly

It's slim pickens out there.......80% of teams are at or over the cap

Reactions: ON3M4N

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Reilly's the one likely going..... that's why he didn't report initially the 2nd time to Providence, and wasn't it reported that Reilly asked to be dealt rather than spend the next 3 months in Providence....

Craig Smith's injury issues aren't helping that cause, but I doubt he's going anywhere.
Reilly is the one hopefully moved. I agree, but if push comes to shove he's in the AHL until we find a taker.

Can't see how he has any leverage or say in any direction. He was just free on waivers twice and no one took him. He has to know the need for him is almost non-existent. He's a negative value asset and in the AHL until then.

Not sure what tricks Sweeney has up his sleeves but my guess is it's to overpay for a targeted player and make them take Reilly as part of the deal..

Hahah I struggled to :
1. Find a player I wanted
2. Find a team with a player that could take Smith and Reilly

It's slim pickens out there.......80% of teams are at or over the cap
Wonder if they just missed the boat when they could have just went the buyout route.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Wonder if there's a team that would facilitate a cap deal.

Reilly + 4th for 5th to Team A

Team A trades Reilly @ 50% to Team B for 4th.

Bruins gain a 5th, sends out Reilly + 4th
Team A gets a 4th and 4th + 1.5 cap hit for this year and next
Team B gets Reilly at 1.5, sends out a 4th

Gotta start getting creative with these moves, but other teams have done it, and Tampa Bay was masterful at it.

Pick rounds were arbitrarily selected in the example, but something like that.

Reactions: bbfan419

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
If you are gonna put Hall with Coyle on the third line, if feels like you want a RW with a bit more ability off the rush than Frederic to better take advantage of Hall, doesn’t it?

I say this who has come around on Frederic.

But we have seen Hall's production explode with Krejci. And we have seen it explode with Pastrnak. Feel like you at least want a marginal 2nd line offensive talent at RW to take advantage of Hall's ability to gain zone entry and dish.

But maybe just having Hall get the puck into the zone and letting Coyle and Frederic go to work wearing down the D is good enough, especially come spring time.
I like Frederic's chemistry with Coyle but I would try Greer here for now and see if he can finish off some of Hall's passes. There is not a right handed shot UFA coming up for next year besides Pavelski, who i can't see Dallas moving. try internal before looking outside the organization. I still think they should look for a top 4 D. (Tyler Myers?)

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
That's unfortunate. I feel like Stralman has been pretty solid this season. He's definitely been more reliable than Zboril but Bruins clearly preferred to risk losing a 36 year old over a 25 year old despite the on-ice performance. Fingers crossed he clears but I'd be surprised given the number of teams (Van, Tor, Ott to name a few) who have allegedly been looking for D.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
still need to clear $331,527 to activate Forbort

Actually maybe not

9B10EA5F-CE31-473F-BC15-11E516371FAA.png

Cap friendly says this puts us under the cap

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Right wing:
Jake DeBrusk ($4,000,000)
David Pastrnak ($6,666,667)
Trent Frederic ($1,050,000)
AJ Greer ($762,500)
Centre:
Patrice Bergeron ($2,500,000)
David Krejci ($1,000,000)
Charlie Coyle ($5,250,000)
Tomas Nosek ($1,750,000)
Left wing:
Brad Marchand ($6,125,000)
Taylor Hall ($6,000,000)
Pavel Zacha ($3,500,000)
Nick Foligno ($3,800,000)
Craig Smith ($3,100,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right:
Charlie McAvoy ($9,500,000)
Brandon Carlo ($4,100,000)
Derek Forbort ($3,000,000)
Left:
Hampus Lindholm ($6,500,000)
Matt Grzelcyk ($3,687,500)
Connor Clifton ($1,000,000)
Jakub Zboril ($1,137,500)

GOALTENDER (2)
Linus Ullmark ($5,000,000)
Jeremy Swayman ($925,000)

AHL BURIED (2)

Mike Reilly ($1,875,000)
Chris Wagner ($225,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $82,500,000
Cap Hit: $82,454,167
Cap Space: $45,833

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
I'm a little surprised the Bruins weren't able to get a pick for Stralman. Guys like him usually net at least something at the deadline. I guess they preferred to roll the dice on him clearing (or possibly being able to re-claim him if he gets waived again down the line) over a mid/late round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad