Boston Bruins ‘22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
With Monty putting the perfection line back together at times I wouldn’t mind trying Hall-Krejci-Smith. That line had a lot of chemistry when they were first put together. Then move Debrusk down with Coyle. Those two have looked good together as well.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
you'd get more than a 3rd for gryz, but i don't see them trading him
In a normal cap year I would say for sure, but this year it has already shown to be really hard to move players because teams are so cap strapped

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
No, we’ve spent all we can spend on D. He’s not in the budget.
I agree we cannot trade picks now , I have always pushed to see Chycrun come here but I have cooled my thoughts on him especially at that cost . I would rather go cheaper for a Luke Schenn and try and still move some cap somewhere , I know easier said than done .

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Back to back firsts is a non starter period. Much less for a guy who can’t stay healthy, at a position we cannot spend more money at. You also end up with 9 defensemen again. All for someone who is a questionable upgrade at best over Grizz right now.

Packaging just one first with Reilly and Smith is better in the long run for the team than two consecutive firsts and getting this guy and having a $26M+ top 4.

I would think we will buy something at the trade deadline. To me a top 4 d makes more sense then an upgrade for Frederic on the 3rd line.

Chycrun may be the wrong guy. But with the cap retention side of it I think it will be expensive. I suppose the alternative is pay a 3rd to dump Reilly or Smith and bring nothing back. Roll with this roster. Certainly not a crazy idea, but I tend to expect this team to upgrade at the deadline. Given, that I see top 4 d as the most likely location I don't know how much less expensive it could be or what other Top 4 options there are particularly ones with higher upside like Chycrun.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I am very much not a Zacha fan, and I disagree. I think the sooner he pushes Krejci to Smith's spot the better, because that role is quite likely to be his, despite the team's efforts to get Haula/Coyle established there. maybe Coyle gets back there and Zacha takes third, but I think they expect to have Zacha where Krejci is. Frederic should also be prepped for top-six centering. maybe a MAR/FRE/DeB, HAL/ZAC/PAS, LAU/COY/LYS, FOL/NOS/STE kind of a setup is what they do in a year and a half. the new Coyle ceiling is nice to see -- I wonder if all of these new breakout successes up front in DeBrusk and Coyle and Frederic and Foligno and Nosek are capable of staying hot this season, or if some will regress significantly. I am not panicked about Krejci leaving the fold. while it'll absolutely hurt the team to lose Bergeron-Cleary, it looks right now like they'll be all right. they have a lot of centers, but any currently playing wing should get extra development in the middle ASAFP, particularly Zacha and Frederic. faceoff drills galore. cycling their current centers to shift to cover wings on the fly. weeks subbing into the middle. I don't think they should wait and shop.
I think Zacha is a definite top six , and I think we have just seen a small sample of what he is capable of . I have said it before I have to tip my hat to Sweeney this was a solid trade for the Bruins ,I do not praise Sweeney easily if at all but Zacha trade is a good one........

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I am very much not a Zacha fan, and I disagree. I think the sooner he pushes Krejci to Smith's spot the better, because that role is quite likely to be his, despite the team's efforts to get Haula/Coyle established there. maybe Coyle gets back there and Zacha takes third, but I think they expect to have Zacha where Krejci is. Frederic should also be prepped for top-six centering. maybe a MAR/FRE/DeB, HAL/ZAC/PAS, LAU/COY/LYS, FOL/NOS/STE kind of a setup is what they do in a year and a half. the new Coyle ceiling is nice to see -- I wonder if all of these new breakout successes up front in DeBrusk and Coyle and Frederic and Foligno and Nosek are capable of staying hot this season, or if some will regress significantly. I am not panicked about Krejci leaving the fold. while it'll absolutely hurt the team to lose Bergeron-Cleary, it looks right now like they'll be all right. they have a lot of centers, but any currently playing wing should get extra development in the middle ASAFP, particularly Zacha and Frederic. faceoff drills galore. cycling their current centers to shift to cover wings on the fly. weeks subbing into the middle. I don't think they should wait and shop.

Why so concerned with a year and a half from now?

Reactions: GoBs and dangermike

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I agree we cannot trade picks now , I have always pushed to see Chycrun come here but I have cooled my thoughts on him especially at that cost . I would rather go cheaper for a Luke Schenn and try and still move some cap somewhere , I know easier said than done .
I was talking more about the dollars we can invest in the defense, but I agree, they need to guard what picks they have left. Only way I move a pick is if it gets us a #1 center in his 20's.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
It's funny, I thought L. Schenn was totally cooked but his numbers with the Canucks have been good. In terms of the eye-test, I can't say much because I'm only stat-watching with him, but 6G 18A and +21 in 84 GP for the Canucks so far seems pretty solid for him.

Reactions: Kegs and Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I would think we will buy something at the trade deadline. To me a top 4 d makes more sense then an upgrade for Frederic on the 3rd line.

Chycrun may be the wrong guy. But with the cap retention side of it I think it will be expensive. I suppose the alternative is pay a 3rd to dump Reilly or Smith and bring nothing back. Roll with this roster. Certainly not a crazy idea, but I tend to expect this team to upgrade at the deadline. Given, that I see top 4 d as the most likely location I don't know how much less expensive it could be or what other Top 4 options there are particularly ones with higher upside like Chycrun.
To me, the only top half of the roster player they should consider buying at the deadline is a top6 center for the future. If that C helps now great but it's really not a move for right now. There's a chance none of the potential UFA C's make it to July 1st, so if you can get one at the deadline you do it.

If there isn't a deal to be made for a center, I expect a cheap depth move, maybe two (F & D), that come for prospects we want to clear out.

Reactions: HustleB

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Zacha isn’t replacing anyone in the Top 6 center spot. I need to see a helluva lot more anyways.
I don't know. I thought Zacha did a nice job there when Krejci was out. He's scoring at a 50+ point pace from the 3rd line right now. He thinks of himself as a center.

IMO, Zacha is Plan A with regard to the 2c spot once Krejci retires.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Jost isn't the guy that you replace Bergy with. Court is still out on Zacha but he can probably, maybe, possibly end up a 2 or most likely a 3C if he improves at center and is able to continue playing at a high standard.
24 yrs old no harm to see what he can do.
I think Zacha is a definite top six , and I think we have just seen a small sample of what he is capable of . I have said it before I have to tip my hat to Sweeney this was a solid trade for the Bruins ,I do not praise Sweeney easily if at all but Zacha trade is a good one........
Welcome aboard on the sweeney train all aboard!!!

Reactions: Kegs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Frederic as a top 6C, much less 1C? Come on man.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
To me, the only top half of the roster player they should consider buying at the deadline is a top6 center for the future. If that C helps now great but it's really not a move for right now. There's a chance none of the potential UFA C's make it to July 1st, so if you can get one at the deadline you do it.

If there isn't a deal to be made for a center, I expect a cheap depth move, maybe two (F & D), that come for prospects we want to clear out.
I do think a Center makes the most sense. It's hard to know who would be available I was drooling over Pasta's best friend Hertl and thought that it was destiny until he signed. Horvat would be fantastic but we need to shed and have them retain alot so it seems like the type of deal that is out of our reach unless we include Lysell/Lohrei.
I do look forward to seeing who the Centers available are.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
the team is trying to convince Pastrnak to stay. it seems to me that Pastrnak is concerned about what the team would be After Bergeron-Cleary. is that a year from now? two? 1.5ish.

I don't think that's true.

And even if it were, I don't see how playing Zacha & Frederic at center now would ease Pasta's concerns any.

Reactions: Gordoff

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020

His cap hit is like 4.5m. In a world where Arizona takes on the cap dumps they say they are willing to take on, you can definitely take him if you're sending salary back. It's more productive than eating a large portion of Reilly's salary in retention for example.

They can definitely take 4.5m on the back end, just depends on the rest of the deal. Specially if Smith goes the other way too.

I still don't think it ends up being the deal. But it's not impossible like the Horvat stuff.

amt98Bruin

Jul 2, 2010
Ontario
This absolutely makes the most sense. Sorry Gryz fans (not that I'm not) but the
best use of that asset for now and the future is moving him for a high pick and moving on with the cleared capspace.
Would anyone consider Gryz for Middleton out of MIN? Minnesota gets the subjectively better defenceman, but the B’s clear roughly $1.2M in cap making enough room to activate Forbort.

As it is right now, Gryz isn’t playing any special teams with Mac and Lindholm running PP1/PP2. With Middleton you can have him and Forbort as the two LHD on the PK keeping Lindholm fresh for 5v5 hockey and the PP. Plus his play style is much better suited to a long playoff run.

Ultimately I think Reilly still gets moved down the road once there are a few more teams with injured defence corps in need of NHL capable players.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Would anyone consider Gryz for Middleton out of MIN? Minnesota gets the subjectively better defenceman, but the B’s clear roughly $1.2M in cap making enough room to activate Forbort.

As it is right now, Gryz isn’t playing any special teams with Mac and Lindholm running PP1/PP2. With Middleton you can have him and Forbort as the two LHD on the PK keeping Lindholm fresh for 5v5 hockey and the PP. Plus his play style is much better suited to a long playoff run.

Ultimately I think Reilly still gets moved down the road once there are a few more teams with injured defence corps in need of NHL capable players.
Pass. Gryz has been a pure ES player for Montgomery and doing very well.

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
Wonder if they're just unwilling to add what they're being asked to add for taking the full salary of whichever guy.
Turns out teams aren't lining up to trade for Craig Smith or Mike Reilly.

It's trending up to a situation where they need to either give up their 1st round pick or waive Frederic and Zboril.

Reactions: quietbruinfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad