Confirmed Trade: Zibanejad for Brassard Part II.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Thank you.

I just hope Zibanejad gives a ****. To me, that's the biggest loss. Brassard would lay in front of a train for his teammates.

1) I don't know if he knows what it takes to lead or feel responsible for his team's fate because he's been a kid on pro teams for so long.

2) He doesn't carry the puck much, doesn't have a lot of vision and thinks shoot first. His future may ultimately be on RW.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Thank you.

I just hope Zibanejad gives a ****. To me, that's the biggest loss. Brassard would lay in front of a train for his teammates.

That's definitely something only the smarter fans are talking about right now, and I cant lie to you that it's a real concern moving forward with Zibby.

TBH I would have hated this trade is Brassard wasn't the battler that he is, and shown that hes clutch in the playoffs. The upgrade offensively wouldnt have been enough to ignore the age gap otherwise.

Ottawa needed more of those types of players in a desperate way, and a LH center, so it really does wonders for them in the immediate future.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To be fair though, they said the same things about Brassard when he came to NY that they say about Zibby now.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I love all the revisionist history on Brassard today.
He had 45 points that year (Stepan had 57) and 12 in the playoffs (Stepan had 15). You are the one revising history. Brassard's line was also giving irrefutably easier matchups. Why not just talk about last year or 2014-15 when Brassard was actually the player you're describing?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
To be fair though, they said the same things about Brassard when he came to NY that they say about Zibby now.

For sure. That's why the trade makes total sense for both teams imo. Zibby is legit, and has a real chance to get better. It's his style of play that frustrates people though, and what needs to change in order to get better.

As long as the Rangers are OK with having a downgrade for the next few years, it still has potential to pay off for them.

Ottawa has both Colin White and Logan Brown that should be ready to start playing a meaningful role sometime in the next 3 or so years, which was most certainly part of the decision making process.

The Sens got better immediately, and didn't have to part with a first round pick or either of their blue chip, top center prospects in White or Brown (ie their future).

I guess I'm just shocked at how many people are saying that the Sens got hosed...

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Senators and "win now mode" might seem laughable, but there is a bit of substance.

- Sens were 7th in GF last season, with key forwards injured. I think Brassard is expected to improve Ryan's goal output. He's a much better playmaker. Zibby didn't have much vision (maturity? coaching?). He had a cannon, was a shootout monster, and could drive wide to create scoring chances. But he didn't improve his wingers much.

- Erik is an offensive dynamo, possession monster. It's time to leverage the players we have to use him in his prime.

- Our defense is improved by the addition of Phaneuf. Not only by his play, but by his effect on Ceci.

- Coaching change is expected to improve team defense without offense drying up. Magic beans!

Our roster isn't old, but it's approaching a big inflection point with Karlsson a few years from UFA. We're finally out from under big contract mistakes in Cowen and Greening. Management sees this team as an improved version of the one that took the NYR to 7 games and that clobbered Montreal in round 1 three seasons ago.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well you would likely be alone in saying he was more important than Stepan that year, if that is what you are trying to get across.

Stepan was great that year. The last two years he's been awful. And Brassard has always been better defensively. Always.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina

Bingo... We just recycled Brassard with a new version of Brassard. Only difference is he is shoot first and right handed (both needs). It was a good hockey trade and both teams benefit. Ottawa likely benefits immediately while the Rangers likely benefit long term.

As a Rangers fan, if this jump starts the 'reboot', I'm looking forward to it We need to replace our established guys for younger, promising versions. A good start here...

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I guess I'm just shocked at how many people are saying that the Sens got hosed...

People see that Brassard only had 7 more points than Zibanejad last year [even though that's 11 games worth of points for Zib] and assume that means that they are close in terms of their abilities. Add the 2nd round pick, and the fact that Zib is 6 years younger, and this is the reaction you get.

The reality is, Zibanejad was more often than not the 3rd best player on his line. He struggled to find consistency and left Sens fans wanting more. Brassard, on the other hand, was considered by most Rangers fans to be their 1C. He was a fan favourite for a reason. I don't know enough about his game to state that he is far better than Zibanejad, but I find it hard to believe based on what Rangers fans have said, to go along with back to back seasons at around 60 points, that he will come here and be a support player like Zibanejad was.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Thank you.

Or that AV doesn't dick around with him like he did with Rath this past season. I have no faith that AV can get the most out of Zibanejad.

It is bizarre how bad of a season he had. He put our entire roster in a huge position to fail. And most of the team responded with the worst season's of their careers.

Either way all I wanted for us to get younger this offseason. We just got our best young player and our most valuable asset under the age of 25. No complaints whatsoever about the thought process here.

Ottawa also accomplished what they wanted. They get the better, more established player that will help them get back to the playoffs this upcoming season. They have enough young players and borderline top prospects to make up for Zibber's lost potential.

Last edited:

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
People see that Brassard only had 7 more points than Zibanejad last year [even though that's 11 games worth of points for Zib] and assume that means that they are close in terms of their abilities. Add the 2nd round pick, and the fact that Zib is 6 years younger, and this is the reaction you get.

Facts are facts, you can't ignore that the Rangers did get 5.5 years younger and got a 2nd rounder for a marginal downgrade offensively. I voted Rangers in that poll because they came out of this deal very well.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think NYR are going to win this trade, not entirely sure what Ottawa is doing here... I guess the goal must be playoffs next season.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I wish every forward showed up like brass did when the games were big! Period! Nuff said. He was great in NY and hope he tears it up in ottawa. Guy came to play and from all indications a great locker room guy and well liked

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ottawa doesn't care about cap. Since NY paid his bonus, Brassard makes less real salary than Zibanejad this year. Zib's qualifying offer is 3.25M, which he'll no doubt get a raise on, so it is safe to say Brassard at 3.5M over the last two years of his deal will be the same or less than what Ottawa would have had to pay Zibanejad.

People are getting way too hung up on age. This isn't a "contender" move. Ottawa didn't just give up a 1st and Marko Dano for Andrew Ladd. They acquired a first line centre who'll be on their team for the next 3+ years.

How can you say Brassard is the wrong guy to bring in? Most people following the Sens have been saying for years that aside from a top 4 veteran defenseman (Phaneuf) Ottawa's biggest need was a top 6 left handed skilled centre for faceoffs and to possibly play the half wall on the PP. If Ottawa brings in that guy, they need to trade away Zibanejad or Turris because one becomes redundant. Ottawa is a squared hole, and they just traded a circular peg for a squared one that fits.

Because I think you already have a #2in Turris and I think you need a legit #1 and I don't think Bassard is that guy, you know I look at a team like Calgary who I think when you look at Monahan and Goodreau and the big 3 on D and the addition of Elliot to me that's a team would have been a fantastic fit for Bassard because I see Nonshan as a guy that I don't think has reached his peek, I thin Baring injury Monahan is putting up 75+ points this year.

I think Calgary is in the verge of being a contender and I think Bassard is a great fit for a team like them.

I also look at what some of the rising teams like Toronto and Buffalo have coming up the middle in Mathews and Eichel and I don't think Ottawa will be able to match up with those teams in a year or 2 once the likes of Eichel and Mathews are fully established plus Buffalo also has ROR who can play all forward positions.

I just think long term Ottawa won't be able to match up with the competition because I think they lack the guy down the midfield they can build around.

Not to mention Turris only has 2 years left under contract if they can't retain him that's a massive blow.

Oct 10, 2010
Decent possibility. The thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that Ottawa is far from a contender, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade for an older player, even if he's better defensively at the moment. Unless they honestly think Zibanejad has peaked.

it makes sense to our ****** owner who only cares about making the playoffs every year on the cheapest possible budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad