Confirmed Trade: Zibanejad for Brassard Part II.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The two biggest areas where Ottawa had to improve going into this season was the number 2 center role and the 4/5 hole on defense

I really thought pageau would start the season as the 2c and have zibby on the 3rd but it's awesome that we gain brassard.

I think ceci can hold down the number 4 spot now that he is playing with phaneuf and not Cowen

Now all I think Ottawa needs to really add is a bottom pairing defense.

I think if we find one this team will do damage and will surprise

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The problem for Ott is that Brass isnt that much better than Zib atm. Its not a huge upgrade for Ott.
Ott fans talk about Brass like he is elite and Zib beeing useless when Brass isnt that much better than him. He has broken 20 goals one time. Zib has already done it twice at 23. Brass is not very good defensivly at all, lazy backchecker and loses coverage alot in the defensive sone. Very good playmaker and great slapshot. Its not a huge upgrade and losing a 2nd rounder and getting 6 years older, i dont see how this is very good for Ott.

With Brassard being a pass first left handed centre is he is a better fit for Ottawa's top 6 than Zibanejad. Playing along side Zibanejad, Ryan was forced to take on a playmaking role, not that he is a bad playmaker but he is better suited as a shooter, playing along side brassard will allow him to be more of a shooter.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
The two biggest areas where Ottawa had to improve going into this season was the number 2 center role and the 4/5 hole on defense

I really thought pageau would start the season as the 2c and have zibby on the 3rd but it's awesome that we gain brassard.

I think ceci can hold down the number 4 spot now that he is playing with phaneuf and not Cowen

Now all I think Ottawa needs to really add is a bottom pairing defense.

I think if we find one this team will do damage and will surprise

They had 3 centers that played like a good 2th center, why would they need another? They need a 1C

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Florida is a maybe be for me, I'm not at all convinced the "balls to the wall analytics" approach is that great but am open to the possibility that it is.

Montreal has little offense and losing Subban means their transition game is going to suffer considerably (Weber is going to make them much better defensively though). Price has the ability to steal wins upon wins but he hasn't played in a while, not sold on him ever getting back to the top of his game.

Montreal got Radulov, possible superstar player. Was Ottawa on him? They should have been. Surprise that they havnt add any good free agent player if they now want to improve the team now so much.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
This is a strange move for Ottawa, this is a move a contender makes but Ottawa is not a contender nor are they all that close Ottawa needs a #1 centre not another #2 also they took on a ton of cap zibby makes 2.6 million Bassard makes. Million pet for 3 more years.

I won't say they aren't better they are but that doesn't mean this is the right move.

I think this id the wrong guy to bring in.

Ottawa doesn't care about cap. Since NY paid his bonus, Brassard makes less real salary than Zibanejad this year. Zib's qualifying offer is 3.25M, which he'll no doubt get a raise on, so it is safe to say Brassard at 3.5M over the last two years of his deal will be the same or less than what Ottawa would have had to pay Zibanejad.

People are getting way too hung up on age. This isn't a "contender" move. Ottawa didn't just give up a 1st and Marko Dano for Andrew Ladd. They acquired a first line centre who'll be on their team for the next 3+ years.

How can you say Brassard is the wrong guy to bring in? Most people following the Sens have been saying for years that aside from a top 4 veteran defenseman (Phaneuf) Ottawa's biggest need was a top 6 left handed skilled centre for faceoffs and to possibly play the half wall on the PP. If Ottawa brings in that guy, they need to trade away Zibanejad or Turris because one becomes redundant. Ottawa is a squared hole, and they just traded a circular peg for a squared one that fits.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They had 3 centers that played like a good 2th center, why would they need another? They need a 1C

If Turris is a quality number 1 in your eyes, I'm scared to ask what is.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
No thanks. There was zero chance we were gonna sign that guy, especially with our top 6.

He would probably be your best forward? His problems is in the past. Eriksson, Ladd and Lucic was also out there, Hudler still is. Maybe you could have made a trade with edmonton to get RNH or Hall with Ceci as the main piece.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
With Brassard being a pass first left handed centre is he is a better fit for Ottawa's top 6 than Zibanejad. Playing along side Zibanejad, Ryan was forced to take on a playmaking role, not that he is a bad playmaker but he is better suited as a shooter, playing along side brassard will allow him to be more of a shooter.

And NYR needed a RH top 6 forward, shoot first guy, younger etc. The fact that Zib is 6 years younger and NYR got a 2nd i just dont see how NYR doesnt win the trade. Brass only scored 7 points more than Zib and Brass is not a very good defensive player. He isnt bad but he loses coverage, has a offence first mentality and very often plays like a wing in the defensive sone. Its sad to see him go because i liked him alot but getting a 51 point RH, shoot first guy who is 23 for Brass who will be 29 when the season starts i would do every day of the week. The fact that we got a 2nd aswell for paying his bonus(atleast thats what i read) makes it a very good trade. Real money means nothing to NYR, its a + for Ott that NYR payed his bonus because they have an internal cap but it was a + for NYR aswell because money isnt a problem and they got a 2nd for it.

What i am trying to say is that arguing Brass is a better fit than Zib in Ott is fine, but Zib is a better fit in NY than Brass going forward because NYR really needed to get younger.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He would probably be your best forward? His problems is in the past. Eriksson, Ladd and Lucic was also out there, Hudler still is. Maybe you could have made a trade with edmonton to get RNH or Hall with Ceci as the main piece.

Radulov wouldn't be a top 3 forward for the Sens.

Trading Ceci opens up a massive hole.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

No he wouldn't? And we didn't need lucic, we could have used Eriksson, but that would probably have been overkill.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

I wouldn't have minded a rnh or duchene over brassard that's for sure but I'm guessing dorion looked at those options.

Pageau and zibby aren't legit number 2 centers imo. ..yet... They can get there but if the Sens wanted to compete Now they had to find someone who can come in and be a proven commodity

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I wouldn't have minded a rnh or duchene over brassard that's for sure but I'm guessing dorion looked at those options.

Pageau and zibby aren't legit number 2 centers imo. ..yet... They can get there but if the Sens wanted to compete Now they had to find someone who can come in and be a proven commodity

Zibanejad ended as 37 among centers, that makes him a good 2th center pointswise.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site

Why should Ottawa acquire more firepower up front?

They finished 9th in scoring despite two top-6 forwards being injured all season.

They finished dead last in defense and the defense was relatively healthy last year.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I do not see who is even close. I would not be surprise if he is around 1 PPG this season.

Yikes, good luck with that prediction. He's barely played NA style hockey over the past 8 years. Expecting him to just walk in and dominate the league is an absurd expectation of this guy.

Probably a better chance that he'll be below 50 than above 80.

MarcusKane*

Feb 4, 2013
I can't believe some people think Radulov woudn't be top 3 in ottawa, you finished 19th:laugh::laugh:

for those that don't know ottawas most played line.

MARK STONE ZACK SMITH JEANGABRIEL PAGEAU

:help:

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Why should Ottawa acquire more firepower up front?

They finished 9th in scoring despite two top-6 forwards being injured all season.

They finished dead last in defense and the defense was relatively healthy last year.

Wasn't that just what they did now? A player that according to the rangers fans have questionable defense but produced a few more points than zibanejad.

Besides Radulov you had Eriksson, Ladd and Lucic.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
The problem for Ott is that Brass isnt that much better than Zib atm. Its not a huge upgrade for Ott.
Ott fans talk about Brass like he is elite and Zib beeing useless when Brass isnt that much better than him. He has broken 20 goals one time. Zib has already done it twice at 23. Brass is not very good defensivly at all, lazy backchecker and loses coverage alot in the defensive sone. Very good playmaker and great slapshot. Its not a huge upgrade and losing a 2nd rounder and getting 6 years older, i dont see how this is very good for Ott.

Problem is that people look at the point totals and think that Zibby and Brassard are close to equals. But that is laughably far from the truth in reality. They are a different caliber of player right now, and it's a gamble hoping Zibanejad will ever reach Brassards level.

Zibanejad, while still a good young player, is not the player that people have described in here. He was without a doubt the player with the most question marks in the Sens top 6, and by far the biggest passenger there.

And it's like everyone in here is literally ignoring the fact that Pageau clearly and thoroughly outplayed Zibanejad when Turris went down for the count. He's not a guy you can lean on to do heavy lifting. He's a complimentary player.

Simply put, this will be a good bump next year for anyone who believes that the gap is tiny between these two players. It's going to be a rude awakening.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
I can't believe some people think Radulov woudn't be top 3 in ottawa, you finished 19th:laugh::laugh:

for those that don't know ottawas most played line.

MARK STONE ZACK SMITH JEANGABRIEL PAGEAU

:help:

2 of those players are third liners

Your in a great position when given minutes, your third line can step up to the plate and perform like they did:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad