Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Ya, true.

We make the same moves EVERY year.

We fire the coaches
, we assign blame, we hire a new coach who we believe is going to lead us to the cup only to be fired the next year.

We went from one GM who felt our time to win is now, trading away prospects and picks, to his second in command who also believes we will win now.

Hey, they may be right, but history has proven differently (for all 7 Canadian teams). Don't look at making the playoffs as the goal, look at winning the cup as the goal! Don't look to next year, look 5 years down the road.

Remember there are 30 teams in this league, it takes miracle to win, but you need a very strong roster to contend.

That tends to happen eventually when you hire bad coaches in the first place. Maclean was the only decent one since Murray. I personally think a Boucher/Crawford tandem is a massive improvement. Not to mention our defence is the best it's been in at least 4 years.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Its a results based business. Brassard makes us better in the short term in other words he gives us a better chance to win more now.

Melnyk the super fan and owner has expressed his financial need to make the playoffs.
Dorion works for Melnyk. He is going to do what he can to be able to call it a success which starts with making the playoffs.

This new regime is going to want to prove themselves. Part of that is icing the best team possible within the operational limits. Dorion is doing his part. The Draft was a success. This trade makes us better this year at least and it could allow for a little less pressure financially to sign Hoffman. The coaching is upgraded. Certainly doing a good job in my books so far.

Dorion is a hockey guy. The whole raison d'etre is to try to contend and compete for the Stanley Cup. Sure he wants that belief and attitude to be front and center to all the coaches and players... it has to start somewhere.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like this move a lot more after reading Dorions comments... He's going for a cup run.

More additions in our future

Why not? We have a whole bunch of players in their prime, including a generational player in Karlsson. We have a window to win right now. This is why acquiring Brassard was huge in that we swapped out an inconsistent young guy who suffered from occasional energy lapses to an established veteran. That's a significant upgrade. People think that's nuts, but look at the Penguins - they went from a meek first round playoff exit in 2015 to winning the Cup in 2016. Obviously you need a bunch of things to break your way, but I'll compare our revamped roster to anyone's. I have a bit of a question mark in goal, but we're hardly the only team in that boat. I'm drinking the KoolAid here, but I think this is a team that can make the playoffs, win a round and be in the mix...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We're hoping Boucher/Crawford is a massive improvement. We have no idea how that experiment will turn out.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Remember the last time you wished for that, and it wasn't much fun? I can't wait for the World Cup though. Then afterwards, it'll be fun to see our new lineup.

Ya, but it is a whole new season. It could be different.

Having said that, i don't know if my emotions could handle going through last season again. :laugh:

I just ****ing hate the win lose win lose lose win lose pattern that the Sens have been going though last season and even the season before that before their miracle run.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
tumblr_ni90qsc7ta1rsodnzo1_400.gif

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Far from a sure thing and, it needs to be repeated ad nauseam: we have White and Brown coming up, both look like they will be better fits for us than Zibanejad.

Having both Brassard and Turris with three years left makes is going to make for the perfect transition. This cannot be understated.

This is exactly how I feel. Having Brown and White in the pipelines, while getting an upgrade to Zibanejad these next three years is an absolute no brainer.

Maybe Zibby breaks out and Brassard regresses, it's possible, but anyone who's watched Zibby close enough knows that his ceiling is very likely not above the player that Brassard already is. It's a gamble I would take any day.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Listening to Mika's interview kinda bummed me out. He was so obviously disappointed, he really couldn't hide it. Had nothing but nice things to say about the organization and fans. He's such a nice guy despite his shortcomings. I hope this lights a fire under him so he can reach his potential in NY. Always liked him as a player.

Happy to have Brassard, but I can't help but wish Zib the best.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
We're hoping Boucher/Crawford is a massive improvement. We have no idea how that experiment will turn out.

I dread another coaching dud. Especially considering we passed on Boudreau. I think Dorion hired the right coach. But it's the riskiest decision made so far.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Listening to Mika's interview kinda bummed me out. He was so obviously disappointed, he really couldn't hide it. Had nothing but nice things to say about the organization and fans. He's such a nice guy despite his shortcomings. I hope this lights a fire under him so he can reach his potential in NY. Always liked him as a player.

Same here... felt bad for him. Hope he does break out. I'm confident he will do at least ok.

Still good to have Brassard and looking forward to that.

Oct 10, 2010
I am speechless :laugh:

I agree with the move completely. Smart move and the right move at the right time for the Sens.

Look at what the positive thinking has accomplished these past 7 years with a superstar on our roster.

I like the trade but absolutely hate our budget - It really sets us back , that's reality.

Hopefully they don't trade Hoffman or Ceci to save more cash.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Look at what the positive thinking has accomplished these past 7 years with a superstar on our roster.

I like the trade but absolutely hate our budget - It really sets us back , that's reality.

Definitely presents a challenge. I am hoping the move allows us the flexibility to lock those guys up for several years. I am positive about the trade ... I haven't got us in the conference or sc finals quite yet :laugh:

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

Sad for Zbad, but good to hear that the organization and city are still good quality and places that many players do actually want to be, despite the frequent propaganda/fear mongering that says the opposite.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

I mean, guess you can never take a GM at their word, but Pierre did state unequivocally that both Hoffman and Ceci would be wearing Sens jerseys in October.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I mean, guess you can never take a GM at their word, but Pierre did state unequivocally that both Hoffman and Ceci would be wearing Sens jerseys in October.

Pierre did also state that he likes this roster won't be making any major changes. Then all of a sudden Zibanejad is traded.

Hoffman is still a rfa, so of course he will be in a Sens jersey in October. That is unless Dorion trades him before the season if he goes to arbitration and gets a one year deal. The question is will he be in a Sens jersey next year.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Pierre did also state that he likes this roster won't be making any major changes. Then all of a sudden Zibanejad is traded.

Hoffman is still a rfa, so of course he will be in a Sens jersey in October. That is unless Dorion trades him before the season if he goes to arbitration and gets a one year deal. The question is will he be in a Sens jersey next year.

I don't think Dorion has been deceitful in his intentions this offseason. It's true he hasn't made any major roster changes. We swapped our 2C for another slightly better 2C who might fit with the roster better and then made some other tweaks. The team stands mostly intact from the Phaneuf trade onwards, the major change is the coaching staff. The roster has just seen a few minor upgrades in Brassard and Kelly plus the addition by subtraction of Chiasson and Wiercioch.

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
This is exactly how I feel. Having Brown and White in the pipelines, while getting an upgrade to Zibanejad these next three years is an absolute no brainer.

Maybe Zibby breaks out and Brassard regresses, it's possible, but anyone who's watched Zibby close enough knows that his ceiling is very likely not above the player that Brassard already is. It's a gamble I would take any day.

This.

Plus it, theoretically, allows for Hoffman and Ceci to be re-signed long term ... helps the now and the future ... could very well be looked at as a great trade sooner than many think.

Brassard is, imo, the exact type of centre that Ryan needs: very smart, left-handed and most importantly, a playmaker, all of which Zibby is not, imo ... all team's fans fall too far in love with their prospects.

There are 3 yrs left on Karlsson's deal before he gets to decide where he wants to play and Dorion wants to show him that should be in Ottawa.

Then the added bonus of being from the area and already good friends with a few players all while saving money ... sign me up!

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

Yes, I know he's an rfa but he can still be traded. The poster before said he hopes Hoffman won't be traded and I was just saying Pierre said exactly that, but to take that statement with a grain of salt.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary

We could have the best coach in the NHL and we still would not know. Babcock is thought to be one of the best and yet Toronto struggled fiercely last season. I believe the coaches we have will turn out to be great coaches.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Last time I was mad at a trade initially was the Turris trade (mostly because of my Swedish bias) but it turned out very good I guess

Reality is we have no idea of what is going on. It's so funny to read all these comments talking in absolute!

We just traded for a player coming off a 27 goal season last year, 118 points over the last 2 years, who has better possession and shot suppression numbers, has played under Boucher for 2 years in Drummondville (06-07), is a playoff beast, local guy and people are *****ing about a 2nd round pick?.

hahaha I admit it's funny. A 2nd is great to have but you don't need an over-abundance of prospects and young players. If you can upgrade your line-up, you use those assets to do it

I may not be happy at the outset because we don't know what prompted this move (i.e. Zibby going through his summer routine of gaining protective layers around his waistline), but Brassard is no Conacher (i.e. Brassard is a proven 2C at worst or a low-end 1C a la Turris). Honeybadger was always unproven and still a move that makes no sense to me.

Bishop wasn't more proven. He was a 26 y/o goalie still not even established as a NHL back-up.

A bit of a surprising trade at first, but it's one that I think can work out for us. The more I think about it, the more it does make sense from the Sens' side. I'm not a huge fan of having to add the 2nd due to the age difference but I think it may have been done because of the $2M bonus that the Rangers already paid Brassard this year.

There are a few reasons why I believe the Sens made the trade:

1) The need for a left handed center. The move looked a bit lateral to me when I first saw the headline, but considering that Zack Smith was our only left handed C going into next year, this move gives Boucher more options depending on the situation on the ice. So trading a right handed C for a left handed C does make sense.

2) More of a commitment to win now. This move tells me that management wants to make the playoffs this year and have the team take the next step. If you think about it, a chunk of this coming season's success would depend on Zibanejad's development. Can he repeat his performance from last year and build on it? With Brassard, the team is getting a more proven commodity that steps it up in the playoffs to boot. On the other hand, the move can look bad if Zibby does take the next step and plays like a 1C.

3) Financial reasons. Yes, everyone likes to talk about the Sens' budget and Melnyk's spending. I try to avoid all the "Melnyk is cheap", "Melnyk doesn't want to open the wallet" talk, but this move looks pretty great given the Senators' financial situation. We get a 50-60 point center for 3 years and have to pay 3.5M, 3M, 3M. We don't know what Zibby commands next offseason when his contract is up. This part is a plus for the organization.

Possible reason 4) I'm totally speculating with this part, but it's possible that Ottawa didn't like Zibanejad's development. We can speculate all we want about the overweight and conditioning issues, maybe it was an issue with the new coaching regime, who knows. The other thing to consider is that this year was probably a make-or-break year for Zibby's value..maybe the team wanted to cash in on his potential and get value back in case this year didn't go so well for Zibanejad.

Overall, I think I like the trade, but it will all come down to how Zibanejad develops in the next 2 years.

Can you please post more on this board? Okay thanks, posters like you are needed

Can't love this top 9. Top 6 is decent, top 7 is good, but Smith and Lazar don't scare anyone.

Goalies disagreed with that 25 times last season

I'm not a fan of this move but If it gets us to the playoffs it's good.

To me this move signals that the rebuild is done and this teams moving towards winning... So that's what I will base it on.

If the Sens miss the playoffs then this move was a bust

Yes, you're right... The team is saying by this move that they want to take the next step, which would be to build on the 2014-15 season and win a playoffs round (or more)

Also this was a overpayment. The gap between Zibanejad and Brassard is not a 2nd round pick.

Is it based on just looking at points? We loved Zibanejad, but that would be like saying that the gap between Turris and Zibanejad is not a 2nd round pick.

We gave a 2nd round pick for the difference between Brassard and Zibanejad, despite the age, and also for the fact that Brassard will basically have a cap hit (average salary) of 3.33 for the next 3 years :amazed:

His contract is so attractive, I am surprised it only cost a 2nd to upgrade Zibanejad to Brassard.

The Sens prospect pool is so depleated beyond the top three... And now they don't have 2nds the next two drafts

False. Perron, Paul, Gagne, Englund, Hogberg, Dzingel, Jaros, etc are good prospects. Top-15 is in good shape, Puempel is the 12th best prospect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad