Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
This is my biggest gripe with hfboards, along with overrating draft picks. This trade was just a perfect storm.

I mean, everybody is going on about how Zibanejad could be a great center in the future, but but ignore the fact that Brassard is already that great center today!!!
2b6d8a389451debee7dc8ffade49261a90d44c3be21879f109d4cfbbe36a5631.jpg

Brassard is a much better fit for the team, our wingers are not playmakers, and neither is Zibanejad. Plus the right-hand vs left-hand. Plus Brassard's experience. Plus cheaper contract next season. It's win-win-win freaking win for us.

Those going on about age... When Alfredsson was 29, he scored a near-career high 70pts, and was known as a playoff choker. He improved this until he scored 103pts at age 34, and didn't fall below 70pts again until he was 39 years old. And obviously by this point he was no longer a playoff choker.

There's no guarantee Zibanejad will continue improving, and no guarantee Brassard has stopped improving. They're both still in their 20's for christ's sake. This is real life, not NHL 16.

Not only did you hit the nail on eveyrthing, but the Family Guy meme was the icing on the cake.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Some posters here said Brassard was fast. The NYR GM says their team got younger and faster without giving up much. Which is it? Did we get a left hand a bit taller Da Costa type who is slower than average but a good play maker or a left hand Turris clone with enough speed carrying the puck that he can back off defenders when entering the zone. I've rarely seen Zib turn on the afterburners so maybe he has hidden speed we've rarely seen but the NYR GM seems to think he's faster.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Some posters here said Brassard was fast. The NYR GM says their team got younger and faster without giving up much. Which is it? Did we get a left hand a bit taller Da Costa type who is slower than average but a good play maker or a left hand Turris clone with enough speed carrying the puck that he can back off defenders when entering the zone. I've rarely seen Zib turn on the afterburners so maybe he has hidden speed we've rarely seen but the NYR GM seems to think he's faster.

In my viewings, Zibanejad seems more straight line fast, while Brassard is more all round fast. Think Greening vs Turris. Greening was faster in a race, but Turris used his speed more effectively.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Some NYR fans have posted in this thread about Brassard's skillset. He's an average NHL skater. Speed is average, but he's got good edgework. My memory isn't great, I suggest you skim the thread for those posts.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
In my viewings, Zibanejad seems more straight line fast, while Brassard is more all round fast. Think Greening vs Turris. Greening was faster in a race, but Turris used his speed more effectively.

This. He many not be faster in a straight line but Brassard plays a faster brand of hockey. Maybe its because he plays with more tenacity? Much needed.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
This. He many not be faster in a straight line but Brassard plays a faster brand of hockey. Maybe its because he plays with more tenacity? Much needed.

Tenancy and Brassard has a high hockey IQ. Less thinking when he has the puck. Zibby may be faster, but Brassard is more efficient and works his ass off every shift

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
NY Post Dave Brooks said Dorion tried to give the impression that he stalled finalizing the trade so the NYR would eat the $2mil bonus. I don' think Dorion ever said that, in fact he denied it. He said he stalled to see if the asking price would come down. Brooks's reputation as a hack seems about right.

Though he says he has sources that say the bonus pay-out was a factor for the Sens, and that they paid the 2nd round pick for it. Which would underscore how cheap the Sens are being.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The only thing that matters is

If we save paid a 2nd round pick to save money which will allow us to retain Hoffman and Ceci then it is well spent

Obviously it is preferable not to have to shell out picks for cash but that's our reality, just accept it

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
NY Post Dave Brooks said Dorion tried to give the impression that he stalled finalizing the trade so the NYR would eat the $2mil bonus. I don' think Dorion ever said that, in fact he denied it. He said he stalled to see if the asking price would come down. Brooks's reputation as a hack seems about right.

Though he says he has sources that say the bonus pay-out was a factor for the Sens, and that they paid the 2nd round pick for it. Which would underscore how cheap the Sens are being.

I wonder who his sources would be? Seems to me like he may have deduced like some of us have that we paid the 2nd for them to pay the bonus, but it's just speculation.

I never liked Brooks so whatever, I take his stuff with a grain of salt.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Considering we gave Edmonton a pick to have them retain money on Hemsky, the Brassard bonus getting paid out warranting a pick coming from us makes a lot of sense

It's just not that big of a deal: it looks and sounds worse than it actually is, mostly because so many people on HF would rather have picks and prospects rather than a good team

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
You don't need Larry Brooks to tell you that this was a cost-cutting trade.

Melnyk has wet dreams about trades like this - slash salary without downgrading the roster and all you have to give up is a draft pick? That's ideal.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I wonder who his sources would be? Seems to me like he may have deduced like some of us have that we paid the 2nd for them to pay the bonus, but it's just speculation.

I never liked Brooks so whatever, I take his stuff with a grain of salt.

This. While it certainly has the ring of truth, Brooks has rightfully developed a reputation over his career of preferring to be first than to be right.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I totally get that the Sens are still operating with an internal cap, which means dollars saved/paid is more relevant than cap space. So saying that pick-for-cash is a "cheap" move isn't derogatory, just a reality, and hopefully a move that hopefully lets us secure Hoffman and Ceci.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
This is my biggest gripe with hfboards, along with overrating draft picks. This trade was just a perfect storm.

I mean, everybody is going on about how Zibanejad could be a great center in the future, but but ignore the fact that Brassard is already that great center today!!!
2b6d8a389451debee7dc8ffade49261a90d44c3be21879f109d4cfbbe36a5631.jpg

Brassard is a much better fit for the team, our wingers are not playmakers, and neither is Zibanejad. Plus the right-hand vs left-hand. Plus Brassard's experience. Plus cheaper contract next season. It's win-win-win freaking win for us.

Those going on about age... When Alfredsson was 29, he scored a near-career high 70pts, and was known as a playoff choker. He improved this until he scored 103pts at age 34, and didn't fall below 70pts again until he was 39 years old. And obviously by this point he was no longer a playoff choker.

There's no guarantee Zibanejad will continue improving, and no guarantee Brassard has stopped improving. They're both still in their 20's for christ's sake. This is real life, not NHL 16.

Lol why is family guy on that? That was Simpsons xD hahahahaha.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Have the New York media actually watched Zibanejad?

I saw some of the media say that Zibby will be better than Brassard because of his size and nastiness.

Lol at anyone saying that Zibby is big and nasty. God i just can't take some people seriously when they write horse **** like this.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Considering we gave Edmonton a pick to have them retain money on Hemsky, the Brassard bonus getting paid out warranting a pick coming from us makes a lot of sense

It's just not that big of a deal: it looks and sounds worse than it actually is, mostly because so many people on HF would rather have picks and prospects rather than a good team

Well 2nd round picks are good assets to have come trade deadline/draft/offseason.

If Mac's concussion issues don't improve and/or Methot is picked up by Vegas, we'll probably need to make a few moves.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Have you watched Brassard at all? How do they trade away their leading scorer over the last two years regular season and playoffs yet they didnt give up much. Please.

Playing with speed isnt just a players legs his brain is the most important piece.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Melnyk has wet dreams about trades like this - slash salary without downgrading the roster and all you have to give up is a draft pick? That's ideal.

Ugh so true. I still like the deal though.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

This type of deal is any owners wet dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad