Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Ugh, I don't dislike Brassard by any stretch but I really think Zib has the higher upside and will be better 2-3 years from now. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Really had a feeling this was Zib's breakout season, the way he finished the season with Hoffman was fantastic. If he coulda brought that into next season, along with a full summer of training in Ottawa, I think it would've been magic. Should be interesting to see what the lines shake out as though, I think the winger combiations are locked in, and the centers are interchangeable.

Hoffman - Turris/Brassard - Stone
MacArthur - Turris/Brassard - Ryan

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I've always found Toews to be pretty overrated

That's not the point. You're dodging the issue. He is overrated in the sense that people were saying he was a top 5 player in the league, but he is a bonafide elite #1C. No questions asked.

But stats-wise, he is comparable to Turris. Do you not see the point everyone is trying to lay out for you, or are you purposely overlooking it?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Great move by Gorton. Nothing better than lighting a fire under a player who's already known for going out and giving it his all during every shift. It's an excellent idea to give a highly competitive player even more motivation.

What a fool. Can't wait to see Brass go beast-mode every time we play the Rangers.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Ugh, I don't dislike Brassard by any stretch but I really think Zib has the higher upside and will be better 2-3 years from now. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Really had a feeling this was Zib's breakout season, the way he finished the season with Hoffman was fantastic. If he coulda brought that into next season, along with a full summer of training in Ottawa, I think it would've been magic. Should be interesting to see what the lines shake out as though, I think the winger combiations are locked in, and the centers are interchangeable.

Hoffman - Turris/Brassard - Stone
MacArthur - Turris/Brassard - Ryan

Honestly, the arguments for making the move are all laid out. Stabilizes the money issue going forward for the next 3 years, Brassard's play style is more of what we are looking for and lack on this team (heart, intensity, all that), left handed, playmaker, PP help, will likely mesh better with our other forwards than Zib did, prime of his career, moving towards win-now (since this is what we wanted re: not wasting EK). And we know he amps it up hard in the playoffs. That is a lot of reasons.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
My opinion has always been that Zib did not have the vision to play center. he is the typical winger that should skate around, bang some bodies and keep the stick to ice for eventually tip in a shot (which he not has the mentality for). So, now I wonder how is Brassard when it comes to hold to the puck, his vision and passing? I am asking a for a brief scouting report from someone who has watched him quite much?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
That's not the point. You're dodging the issue. He is overrated in the sense that people were saying he was a top 5 player in the league, but he is a bonafide elite #1C. No questions asked.

But stats-wise, he is comparable to Turris. Do you not see the point everyone is trying to lay out for you, or are you purposely overlooking it?

If Turris was in Chicago I have no doubt he'd be praised like Toews

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
My opinion has always been that Zib did not have the vision to play center. he is the typical winger that should skate around, bang some bodies and keep the stick to ice for eventually tip in a shot (which he not has the mentality for). So, now I wonder how is Brassard when it comes to hold to the puck, his vision and passing? I am asking a for a brief scouting report from someone who has watched him quite much?

I love Zibby, but "banging bodies around" has never been his thing. He's always been a finesse player and at this point I don't see why we'd expect him to change. He is what he is in terms of style I'd bet. I always found Zibby moved well without the puck and played well with playmakers despite not being much of a playmaker himself. Good passer, just not a gifted playmaker.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

Brassard's biggest asset is his vision and passing. He has tremendous vision and will find players, he also has a great shot on top of it, which he started to use a lot more this season especially when Rick Nash went down. In this sense he reminds me a bit of Turris in that he's mostly a playmaker but can also score goals. He's very good on the PP too. Average player defensively, not bad nor good, just fine.

You will see a lot of his goals in tight, he sets up the play and drives the net, he isn't afraid of going in the dirty areas and has some fire to him even though he isn't very physical. His skating is average, not the best skater but it never bothered him much so far because of his vision and agility.

He's alright on faceoffs, although nothing to brag about. He's about a 50%.

This gives us Smith, Pageau, Turris, Brassard (and Paul) over 50% on the draw though, that's good for possesion.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I would agree that IMO they should have turned Zibanejad into a winger from the beginning & found another way to get a playmaking centre . A number of us have said this team lacks another playmaker in the top 6 & Brassard fills that void. Zibanejad's one dimensional play suits him better to go up & down the wing IMO but he isn't much of a hitter. The other thing this team needed is toughness & while Brassard isn't what I would consider a real tough player he is still tougher than Zibanejad who was more of a finesse fly by type of player & easy to play against.

This trade makes the team better & if you get the best player in any trade you apparently win the trade. Will Zibanejad be the better player down the road? I doubt it, I don't think he has the drive to be better & seems much more complacent & certainly Brassard showed much more determination in the playoffs than Zibanejad has ever shown.

Toews has been a winner his whole career from junior to the pros & has won at every level. If it wasn't for Crosby, he would be captain of Team Canada, even Crosby wanted his okay before he took the captaincy. I remember one WJC where Toews took all three of the shootout shots & scored on all three to win the game. He is the least over rated player in the NHL IMO & even better than most give him credit to be, he is the very definition of a winner. Wasn't he known as Captain Canada at one point?

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
that's not the point. You're dodging the issue. He is overrated in the sense that people were saying he was a top 5 player in the league, but he is a bonafide elite #1c. No questions asked.

But stats-wise, he is comparable to turris. Do you not see the point everyone is trying to lay out for you, or are you purposely overlooking it?

preach!!!!

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

You've said a lot of things that make me just roll my eyes, but my god this is just ridiculous.

I can't stress this enough, I'll even bold it and put it in big letters for you: THERE IS MORE TO HOCKEY THAN STATISTICS

If you honestly think that Turris could go to Chicago and do what Toews did, you're out to ****ing lunch.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I dont think Pageau would have been able to outplay Zibanejad in a top 6 role for the duration of an entire season.

I do. Pageau really does everything better than Zbad. He's even more physical despite being much smaller. Lets not forget JGP almost went a point a game down the stretch. I know he had 19 in 20 games at one point.

The most frustrating aspect of Mika's game was that he didn't want the puck; always finding a way to get rid of it whether that was by taking a shot or passing it back to the person that just passed it to him. He never made things happen out of nothing, seemed tentative to carry the puck, he just had a great shot. That is not the kind of center we need. If Zibby finds his game it will be as a winger; I don't feel he has enough vision to be a #1C, nor can he slow the play down.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I LOVE this trade.

And I was bashed for saying we need to trade Zibby for an upgrade more similar to Turris... lol

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I LOVE this trade.

And I was bashed for saying we need to trade Zibby for an upgrade more similar to Turris... lol
:laugh:Yep been on the trade Zibby train for quite some time also ,he wasnt getting better as most seem to think ,he had stalled or even regressed last season .He played a full min and a half more in ice time over last season ......and scored a whopping 5 more points .Pretty meh for a 6th OA pick not a bust but really nothing special

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I slept on it and I can now say enjoy this trade more that I originally thought I would, the 2nd stings until you realize it was used to cover the 2 Mill bonus that NY paid.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I slept on it and I can now say enjoy this trade more that I originally thought I would, the 2nd stings until you realize it was used to cover the 2 Mill bonus that NY paid.

Well it stings a bit regardless, but we all know our organization's financial situation. People shouldn't be outraged anymore by using assets to offset money.

We should all be reacting like "Ah yes, that makes sense, whatchagonna do I guess." Cognizant and a little disappointed, but understanding.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I'm pretty disappointed. Would have liked to have seen one more year of Zibanejad development.

That being said, welcome Brassard. I hope it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad