Confirmed with Link: Zibanejad, 2nd to NYR for Brassard, 7th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
I have nothing against Brassard but definitely dislike the trade. As you said it was done for financial reasons and it doesn't make us significantly better to win a cup ... but we do lose a big piece of our future. Melnyk needs to start opening his pockets or we will end up no where.

Do we lose a big piece as many put Zib as the odd man out.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Zibanejad has twice as many 20G seasons as Brassard

Ohh, me! I want to play the cherry-picking stats game too!

- "Brassard has more goals than Zibanejad over the last 2 seasons (46 to 41), as well as the last three seasons (64 to 57)".

Anyways, manipulating data to serve our arguments aside, we desperately needed an actual playmaker up the middle, which Zibanejad is most certainly not.

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015

Zibby was also expected to step up as our 1C when Turris got injured and Pageau outplayed him.

Brassard might actually outplay Turris which is more then we can expect from our ex 3rd line center Zibby.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015

And Zibanejad has as many 20G season as Henrik Sedin ( in his whole career )..

So what is your point? Goal scoring isn't everything, when it come to offence.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I had a bit of an emotional attachment to Zib but I'll admit over the last season I strongly entertained the idea that it would be best to trade him. As mentioned by others though I wish I could watch Brassard tear it up sooner to wash the sourness out

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not a fan of 2 things with this trade :

- Zbad was 5 years younger
- Is the only European we now have Erik Karlsson? :rant:

What is the problem with this team and lack of europeans? Racism or what?

Huh.. I'm not sure what I feel. Most upset about the age difference right now.

Yeah me too the age difference is what I disliked but I realized Brassard will only cost 10 M$ to the Sens for the next 3 years :amazed: What a bargain

Hes a solid 3C, fill in 2C

:laugh: What year are you stuck in where solid 3C score 60 pts? HF :popcorn:

There's no way Zibanejad would have been paid THAT much more than 3.5mil unless he hit 70 points this year

lol what? Look at contracts around the league... Unless it's a short deal, Zbad is going to get a 5.0 cap hit at least if he hits 50 pts again.

J.Schwartz is 24 and just got a 5.35 cap hit, Victor Rask is 23 and just got a 4.0 cap hit (Zibby is superior), Scheifele is 23 and just got 6.125. ETC

It's time to evolve with the league

I would be very surprised if the Sens traded Zibby based on his gf moving to NYC. It might have played a role in it, but I doubt it was what started the process of moving Mika to the Big Apple.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Mika asked for a trade. Ottawa or New York? For a young European with money...

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
On a positive note it's perhaps the first trade in at least 10 years that hasn't had us as a fanbase having a more pissed off kneejerk reaction than the opposing fanbase involved (I could very well be forgetting one though).

Edit: Maybe the Turris trade although it wasn't clear cut at the time
Didn't mention Dion because it seemed like both fanbases were content enough with the exchange.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I have nothing against Brassard but definitely dislike the trade. As you said it was done for financial reasons and it doesn't make us significantly better to win a cup ... but we do lose a big piece of our future. Melnyk needs to start opening his pockets or we will end up no where.
Well I suppose in fairness I don't know if he was considered a big piece of our future anymore. Brown and white both set to replace him

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
if this was Zibanejad he would meekly put his head down and skate off.

Brassard is a 60 point pest who puts gives it his all on the ice.

By the time Zibanejad is as good as Brassard (if ever) we'd have Logan Brown or Colin White to step in as well.

How many times has brassard his 60 points

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Our roster as it was composed was often criticized for lacking a few things over the past few seasons:
- lacking the ability to play sound team defense (addressed - Boucher)
- lacking an elite #1 C (hopefully long term solution, Brown or White, but still missing on current roster)
- Lacking a second pair dman (addressed under Murray - Phaneuf)
- lacking passion and urgency on a consistent basis

That last point is a big plus of this trade. We play flat sooooo often unless our backs are against the wall. One of Brassards biggest assets is how he plays, and I think that style is contagious. I think he'll be a welcomed boost to the group we have.

I love Zibby, and will miss him, but this is a good trade for our roster imo. We are a better team because of it and this will help us get to a higher level. It would be amazing if he and Hoffman develop chemistry - could be a lethal duo.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I am not a fan of this trade.

To me the picks are the biggest problem. If they remain out of it, people still have issues with it, but a 2nd is the highest, non-player trade chip this team has to offer as we aren't moving our 1sts...

I like Brassard, but moving Zibby for him does make us "age" a little quicker (or shorten our window). I am not opposed to moving Zibby, I kind of expected it, but I guess I always thought it would be for someone else and now that chip (and our 2nd) is gone, it leaves us much less trade potential to work with to improve this team.

At some point, we run out of trade chips to move, without parting with key pieces of our future or current lineup.

I thought that if we traded Zibby this year, with how he was trending, and while he is still cheap, he would have been moved as a piece from us for a bigger piece not named Brassard. Zibby + 2nd + ??? for Duchene or Drouin or someone with lots of potential, still on the younger side, but we would need to add pieces for. In this case, we added a major trade piece and got Brassard. I guess I just thought we could have done better.

I guess we will see. I am not a fan at this point. I don't dislike Brassard at all, I just think we overpaid a lot and mismanaged the limited trade assets we have.

I think you're right about the pick. It's definitely the downside of the trade.

I think our team got a very big upgrade though. I just feel like everytime you map out a top 6 combination it looks signficantly better with Brassard in it.

The 2nd round pick really hurts though. It's bad asset management.

If Zibby never becomes more than he is right now than we have a player who is better by 10 points. a 2nd rounder is way too much for that difference.

But that's from an asset management POV. I think from a hockey skill POV Brassard fits this team better and is going to make them a better team.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Had the night to think it over....I still don't like it. Only good part of it is having a left hand center. And Brassard is not a 200 foot guy...dude is poor defensively.

My only request.......no matter what happens, I really don't want this trade to turn into another Silfverberg situation. Let's just all agree, a week or so from now when we all have time to digest the trade, that Zibby is then classified as 'dead' on this forum. I really don't want to hear about him every time he has a good game from this fall until whenever.

Please, please, please!

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Over the past 6 months, the team has made targeted moves to fill specific holes with ideal players to improve chemistry and compete now.

I think management expectations are to make this team take a big step forward (not just playoffs, but winning some rounds over the next couple of seasons).
They're not going to have as much patience with young players who can't handle their role or aren't quite fitting. This also means that for the time being, this team will not go cheap to fill a key position and ineffectiveness in key positions won't be tolerated.

Dorion's putting his stamp on and looks to be willing to pay a premium on getting the right fit to make the team better immediately than in building up assets.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Had the night to think it over....I still don't like it. Only good part of it is having a left hand center. And Brassard is not a 200 foot guy...dude is poor defensively.

My only request.......no matter what happens, I really don't want this trade to turn into another Silfverberg situation. Let's just all agree, a week or so from now when we all have time to digest the trade, that Zibby is then classified as 'dead' on this forum. I really don't want to hear about him every time he has a good game from this fall until whenever.

Please, please, please!

This is going to happen. It's the reality of the industry. Da Costa doing business.

RE: poor defensively, he definitely struggled a bit this past season. But I've always felt that fear to be a bit overblown. He was exposed to first lines this past season, which led to a Phaneuf-like situation where he was being asked to punch above his weight class. If we can get Brass settled into a second-line spot with Ryan, I think we'll see his defensive play improve.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not a fan of 2 things with this trade :

- Zbad was 5 years younger
- Is the only European we now have Erik Karlsson? :rant:

What is the problem with this team and lack of europeans? Racism or what?

Uhm.... do you have a problem with North Americans? NA represent about 75% of the league, so the average team has about 5 or 6 Europeans. Claesson likely makes the team imo, so we have 2. Not really a big deal.

Yeah me too the age difference is what I disliked but I realized Brassard will only cost 10 M$ to the Sens for the next 3 years :amazed: What a bargain

Agreed that it's a bargain. Age, and the 2nd round pick make me a bit hesitant to buy in fully, but Brassard seems like a better fit in the lineup, and gives us more flexibility in terms of financials.

:laugh: What year are you stuck in where solid 3C score 60 pts? HF :popcorn:

lol what? Look at contracts around the league... Unless it's a short deal, Zbad is going to get a 5.0 cap hit at least if he hits 50 pts again.

J.Schwartz is 24 and just got a 5.35 cap hit, Victor Rask is 23 and just got a 4.0 cap hit (Zibby is superior), Scheifele is 23 and just got 6.125. ETC

It's time to evolve with the league

But I wouldn't be surprised if Mika asked for a trade. Ottawa or New York? For a young European with money...

Agree with you that Zibanejad was going to make around 5 on his next contract.

Not sure about the trade request stuff though, but who knows.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I feel very confident in saying that the Sens are a better team today than yesterday. Maybe not 3 years down the line but I think overall Brassard is a better fit with this current roster.

I'm getting the feeling that Boucher and Dorion think they have a shot here over the next few years to do something big, which I'm happy about. We keep saying as fans that this team needs to prove to Karlsson that they want to win to keep him around and this type of move signals that to me.

The team looks really strong on paper right now for the next couple years. We need a couple depth players or breakouts from younger guys but it's nothing we can't address midseason through a few minor trades if things go well with the rest of the club.

Not that the World Championships mean a lot but Brassard (along with Stone) was really one of the standouts for Canada even among the likes of ROR, McDavid, Perry and Marchand. Dude is ranked 36th overall in points over the last 2 years between Perry and Kessel. It really can't be stressed enough how good a player he is. I'd like him to start the year playing with Ryan.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is a upgrade not a downgrade.

Anyone who think this is a downgrade should pick up a new hobby.

I agree with the sentiment they lost the deal value wise. However what position are the sens in if Zibby scores 55 points next year is 2 years away from being a UFA and management isn't convinced he has the work ethic or dedication to be a player. Then what? Sign him to a 1 year deal again? Then he is one year away from being a UFA and he has no value. He certainly isn't bring back a player of Brassards talent.

Do you sign him to that Scheifele deal then he comes into camp out of shape again? Cap team or not that's a scary proposition.

This team needed a lefty top 6 centre badly, they needed help on the pp and they needed more leadership. Brassard ticks all the boxes.

I don't think the pics should be involved but the sens may have got a real good asset and doged a bullet.

Let's get serious from the time Turris got hurt and Pageau was moved into a top 6 role he outplayed Zibanejad. Hard to send a message to the team and play Zibby over him when Pageau is playing better.

I think this move is bigger picture, the room was broken. The team was too inconsistent players need to be rewarded for strong play. Too many ups and downs slow starts and inconsistent play Zibanejad embodied that.

Now we could all be made to look very silly if he figures it out which could very well happen but if you look at the sens objectively and Zibanejad honestly and critically I understand this deal.

sens2k9

Aug 8, 2008
99% of the people on this forum don't care where he's from. But that's ok, we're already buying merchandise and going to the games. This is part of a long term strategy to build our fanbase. We've already seen that they're moving the AHL team west to Belleville to take some Leaf fans. We're trying to move east to take some Montreal fans too.
You want to spend to the cap, you need more sellouts. You want more sellouts, you need more fans. Hit the untapped markets in your city and get more sellouts.

I'm not saying I like this deal (22yo 50pt centres aren't the norm) but I can understand why it was made. I understand the desire to get local guys (especially from across the river).

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
99% of the people on this forum don't care where he's from. But that's ok, we're already buying merchandise and going to the games. This is part of a long term strategy to build our fanbase. We've already seen that they're moving the AHL team west to Belleville to take some Leaf fans. We're trying to move east to take some Montreal fans too.
You want to spend to the cap, you need more sellouts. You want more sellouts, you need more fans. Hit the untapped markets in your city and get more sellouts.

I'm not saying I like this deal (22yo 50pt centres aren't the norm) but I can understand why it was made. I understand the desire to get local guys (especially from across the river).

Unlike some of the typical local acquisitions, this one has the added bonus of being a very good player, too. This feels less like getting a player *because* they're from around Ottawa, and more like getting a good player who *happens* to be from around Ottawa. Like with Methot.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Anyone who think this is a downgrade should pick up a new hobby.

I agree with the sentiment they lost the deal value wise. However what position are the sens in if Zibby scores 55 points next year is 2 years away from being a UFA and management isn't convinced he has the work ethic or dedication to be a player. Then what? Sign him to a 1 year deal again? Then he is one year away from being a UFA and he has no value. He certainly isn't bring back a player of Brassards talent.

Do you sign him to that Scheifele deal then he comes into camp out of shape again? Cap team or not that's a scary proposition.

This team needed a lefty top 6 centre badly, they needed help on the pp and they needed more leadership. Brassard ticks all the boxes.

I don't think the pics should be involved but the sens may have got a real good asset and doged a bullet.

Let's get serious from the time Turris got hurt and Pageau was moved into a top 6 role he outplayed Zibanejad. Hard to send a message to the team and play Zibby over him when Pageau is playing better.

I think this move is bigger picture, the room was broken. The team was too inconsistent players need to be rewarded for strong play. Too many ups and downs slow starts and inconsistent play Zibanejad embodied that.

Now we could all be made to look very silly if he figures it out which could very well happen but if you look at the sens objectively and Zibanejad honestly and critically I understand this deal.

I dont think Pageau would have been able to outplay Zibanejad in a top 6 role for the duration of an entire season.

I am still indifferent about the trade despite not being Zibanejads biggest fan.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Unlike some of the typical local acquisitions, this one has the added bonus of being a very good player, too. This feels less like getting a player *because* they're from around Ottawa, and more like getting a good player who *happens* to be from around Ottawa. Like with Methot.

Yep, players like Methot, Ceci, Pageau and Brassard are local guys that can contribute to a contender. As a Liverpool fan I can appreciate the spirit local lads brought to that club over the years, hopefully it can work out the same way for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad