Zegras or Wright

Zegras or Wright

• Total voters

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
It dos when you compare where Wright was at that age. Comparing Wright to where Zegras is now is no differnet than comparing Zegras to where Bergeron or Kopitar is now.
It’s pretty different.

3 year difference between Wright and Zegras vs 16 year difference between Zegras and Bergeron.

Come on fella.

Reactions: bsu

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It dos when you compare where Wright was at that age. Comparing Wright to where Zegras is now is no differnet than comparing Zegras to where Bergeron or Kopitar is now.
Okay so you would take Wright over Draisaitl because he was better at 17?

There is nothing in Wright's game that suggests he will ever be as good as Zegras is today.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
What Wright did at 15 has no bearing on the prospect at he is at 17. Which is definitely not a generational. 30p in 22 OHL games is miles from generational lol.

I didn't compare Zegras to Draisaitl. I was just showing you how absurd your draft position argument is.
Would you take Wright over Draisatl? You are just using an absurd analogy. You are using a player who has been a top five player the last half decade to a player who has had a strong Month.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Would you take Wright over Draisatl? You are just using an absurd analogy. You are using a player who has been a top five player the last half decade to a player who has had a strong Month.
You said it's not dumb to use draft position to justify how you evaluate players. I showed you one example (of countless possible examples) of why that is dumb.

and I am not going to continue to argue. I am not arguing your point. I am arguing your comment which is opinion and a crazy one. sayint that you think Zegras is going to have the better career is differnet than "How on Earth is Wright winning this? Zegras has the higher floor and the higher ceiling". Judging by the poll it is pretty close and considering that one hasn't played in the NHL yet it pretty much tells you that your comment is crazy. You make it seem like they are miles apart when they are far from that.

That's because they are miles apart. Wright is simply not the same caliber of player, anyone with two eyeballs could see that.

45% of the poll disagrees with that.

That's because this is HF.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Zegras might be the quickest to generational that I’ve ever seen on these boards and he’s not even a PPG almost 22 year old.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You said it's not dumb to use draft position to justify how you evaluate players. I showed you one example (of countless possible examples) of why that is dumb.

That's because they are miles apart. Wright is simply not the same caliber of player, anyone with two eyeballs could see that.

That's because this is HF.
I said hindsight is 20-20. Shane Wright is not 20 years old and hasn't played 54 games in the NHL. There is no saying that he cannot be where Zegras is now. IN fact there are many people that would argue that it is quite reasonable for Wright to have the same kind of stats that Zegras has at the same age. Maybe even beat that. We don't know where Wright will be the same way we don't know where Zegras will be next year. Zegras has played very well the last twenty games. That is a small sample. Most Devil fans thought Sharngovich had the potential to pop in 30 this year and he regressed. Do you think that can't happen to Zegras? Looking at where Zegras was three years ago in comparison is quite reasonable the same way it would be reasonable to compare where Bergeron or Kopitar was at this age. We all do it. Comparing someone and their careers is quite difficult when they aren't the same age and one has yet to even play in the league. Choosing Zegrass is fine. But saying how on earth someone could is absurd and so far out to lunch.
You think they are miles apart. That is your opinion. Nothing wrong with that. But saying "anyone with two eyeballs" can see that is just stupid expecially considering the poll is close. You're being condescending because people don't agree with you. That doesn't make you more right The same way that your opinion is more valid than HF boards as a whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moose is Loose

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Zegras is a first overall talent; hard to choose Wright over him when we've already had a taste of Zegras.
What has Zegras done to indicate his 1st overall caliber talent?

I get the argument for Zegras here in regards to the poll but your statement is absurd. Even in the weakest drafts Zegras isn’t going 1st overall

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I said hindsight is 20-20. Shane Wright is not 20 years old and hasn't played 54 games in the NHL. There is no saying that he cannot be where Zegras is now. IN fact there are many people that would argue that it is quite reasonable for Wright to have the same kind of stats that Zegras has at the same age. Maybe even beat that. We don't know where Wright will be the same way we don't know where Zegras will be next year. Zegras has played very well the last twenty games. That is a small sample. Most Devil fans thought Sharngovich had the potential to pop in 30 this year and he regressed. Do you think that can't happen to Zegras? Looking at where Zegras was three years ago in comparison is quite reasonable the same way it would be reasonable to compare where Bergeron or Kopitar was at this age. We all do it. Comparing someone and their careers is quite difficult when they aren't the same age and one has yet to even play in the league. Choosing Zegrass is fine. But saying how on earth someone could is absurd and so far out to lunch.
You think they are miles apart. That is your opinion. Nothing wrong with that. But saying "anyone with two eyeballs" can see that is just stupid expecially considering the poll is close. You're being condescending because people don't agree with you. That doesn't make you more right The same way that your opinion is more valid than HF boards as a whole.
I don't mean to be condescending, it's just incredibly obvious to me that Zegras is simply on a higher tier than Wright. Wright gives me Nolan Patrick vibes.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I don't mean to be condescending, it's just incredibly obvious to me that Zegras is simply on a higher tier than Wright. Wright gives me Nolan Patrick vibes.
Dude. I like your posts. I'm a Devils fans that see your posts often. There is noting wrong with the above comment and I probabyl would've scrolled on but in your others you pretty much said "AINEC" without saying AINEC. We all have players that we really like that will be better than what we thought and ones that will be worse. I literally thought McLeod was going to be a legit star two way player and that Bastian was going to be a career AHL. That is after seeing them easily 20 times, Mcleaod probably much more. In minor midget I thought Perfetti was gonna be a sixth round NHLer if he was lucky and that Evan Vielring was going to be a top 5 NHL pick. But when polls are close and we use something like AINEC or some of your views you can see why I would call you out.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dude. I like your posts. I'm a Devils fans that see your posts often. There is noting wrong with the above comment and I probabyl would've scrolled on but in your others you pretty much said "AINEC" without saying AINEC. We all have players that we really like that will be better than what we thought and ones that will be worse. I literally thought McLeod was going to be a legit star two way player and that Bastian was going to be a career AHL. That is after seeing them easily 20 times, Mcleaod probably much more. In minor midget I thought Perfetti was gonna be a sixth round NHLer if he was lucky and that Evan Vielring was going to be a top 5 NHL pick. But when polls are close and we use something like AINEC or some of your views you can see why I would call you out.
Well to me, it really isn't close. I'm more shocked by the poll results than anything. Maybe I just see stuff differently than most. Like, I hated the McLeod pick when we made - never saw top 6 upside with him.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Not a "prospects guy" so I really don't have an informed opinion on who will be better a few years from now... It goes without saying that Zegras is certainly the safer bet at this point, but I'm honestly a bit :huh: at being being gobsmacked by some people betting on Wright. It's not like Zegras is producing unprecedented numbers for a player in his third post draft season. Is it really that hard to envision that the consensus first overall pick could be putting up ~0.8 points/game 3 years from now? :dunno:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Not a "prospects guy" so I really don't have an informed opinion on who will be better a few years from now... It goes without saying that Zegras is certainly the safer bet at this point, but I'm honestly a bit :huh: at being being gobsmacked by some people betting on Wright. It's not like Zegras is producing unprecedented numbers for a player in his third post draft season. Is it really that hard to envision that the consensus first overall pick could be putting up ~0.8 points/game 3 years from now? :dunno:
All depends what team he goes to. Zegras is on a team that was projected to finish in the bottom 3 in standings.... and has a NHL foddler that he re-created in Milano. He is going to make his wingers a lot of money just like Getzlaf did in his career (Penner, Maroon, Beleskey, etc.)

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
what?? Wright is the consensus #1 pick, and you say its doubtful that he'll do what a guy who was ranked around 10th in his draft year will do now. How does that make any sense? Zegras only had 13 pts in 24 games last season, and broke out after about 10 games this season.

I mean, the kid is turning 18 in 2 weeks while Zegras will be 22 in 3 months! You honestly dont think Wright can adapt as Zegras has after 35+ games in the NHL at age 21/22? really, man?

just an odd take.

Anaheim Ducks Trevor Zegras.png

Zegras is insanely skilled and creative and is producing like a #1 center he is better then what position he was taken in his draft also he will be 21 in a few months not 22.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
The underlying flag waving on both sides of this argument is embarrassing.

Two different types of players.

For me is like arguing who is better between Mike Modano vs. Patrice Bergeron. Pointless. Especially given the fact Zegras is two years older. You can defend either all day long.

Reactions: PainForShane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad