Zegras or Wright

Zegras or Wright

• Total voters

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Draft position literally means nothing. Zegras has already proven to be a 1st overall caliber player, and there's a good bet he'd go 1st in a redraft. Also Zegras is only 20, not 21.

And no, I really don't think Wright will ever be as good as Zegras is now. His production as a draft eligible player in the OHL is pretty terrible for a guy who is supposed to be a 1st overall pick.

Like I said earlier, Zegras has both the higher floor and the higher ceiling. He's already a first line center at the age of 20. If you're taking a mystery box over a player like Zegras, that better be the best mystery box to come along in the last decade. Wright simply isn't that talented.
draft position means nothing when youre talking about 2 players of the same age. This is not the case.... draft position says that Wright being the consensus #1 (and quite hyped) is a better prospect than Zegras was in his draft year (ranked around 10th). While Zegras had a fantastic D+1 and great start after 40 NHL games, I dont see why Wright cant or wouldnt do better.

Time will tell.

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Who is to say that Wright cannot do the same?
I am. He's just flat out not as talented as Zegras. If he was he would be closer to 50 points in 22 games, instead of 30.

ANd Wright was nowhere close to what McDavid was at 15

McDavid at 15
63gp 25g 66p (2nd on team in scoring)

Wright at 15
58gp 39g 66p (1st on team in scoring)

So you're saying there's no argument in favor of Wright having the better 15 year old season?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
draft position means nothing when youre talking about 2 players of the same age. This is not the case.... draft position says that Wright being the consensus #1 (and quite hyped) is a better prospect than Zegras was in his draft year (ranked around 10th). While Zegras had a fantastic D+1 and great start after 40 NHL games, I dont see why Wright cant or wouldnt do better.

Time will tell.
Draft position means nothing. Full stop.

Would you take Wright over Draisaitl?

Reactions: bsu

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

Yes, also takes Power over Makar (This is actually similar to the gap I think Wright vs Zegras is) Power is going to be a great 2 way player (similar to Wright but forward) but Makar (Zegras) are game breaking talents can literally create a scoring chance out of nothing multiple times a game.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I am. He's just flat out not as talented as Zegras. If he was he would be closer to 50 points in 22 games, instead of 30.

McDavid at 15
63gp 25g 66p (2nd on team in scoring)

Wright at 15
58gp 39g 66p (1st on team in scoring)

So you're saying there's no argument in favor of Wright having the better 15 year old season?
I'm quite comforable with my opinions on watching both of them play live at least 25-30 times each at 14-15. McDavid was the better player at that age by a good margin.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

What I know about Draisaitl, I do not know about Zegras, nor about Wright.

Would you have taken, say, Willy Nylander (drafted #8 2014, also had a great D+1 and rookie season) over Matthews (a hyped consensus #1 2016)?

Last edited:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm quite comforable with my opinions on watching both of them play live at least 25-30 times each at 14-15. McDavid was the better player at that age by a good margin.
I didn't say he wasn't. I said Wright arguably had the better 15 year old season, which I think is definitely true. But where McDavid took gigantic steps forward, Wright's progression has definitely stalled, which would make me extremely skeptical of taking him over a player like Zegras.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Nobody would take him over Draisatl. But Draisatl is not Zegras. lol
What I know about Draisaitl, I do not know about Zegras, nor about Wright.

But Draisaitl only went 3rd overall. By your logic, you would take Wright because he's projected to go first overall.

As @bsu mentioned, taking Wright over Zegras would be like taking Power over Makar.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck and bsu

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I didn't say he wasn't. I said Wright arguably had the better 15 year old season, which I think is definitely true. But where McDavid took gigantic steps forward, Wright's progression has definitely stalled, which would make me extremely skeptical of taking him over a player like Zegras.
and choosing Zegras over Wright isn't wrong. But saying how you have no idea on earth how someone could choose arguably a generational talent over a player who has had 15-20 Strong NHL games recently is! Wright had better stats that year but I can tell you that they were not on the same field.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
But Draisaitl only went 3rd overall. By your logic, you would take Wright because he's projected to go first overall.

As @bsu mentioned, taking Wright over Zegras would be like taking Power over Makar.
No. But if I compare Draisatl pre draft I wouldve taken Wright as would virtually every other team.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal

would you have taken, say, Willy Nylander (drafted #8 2014, also had a great D+1 and rookie season) over Matthews (a hyped consensus #1 2016)?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Would you have taken, say, Willy Nylander (drafted #8 2014, also had a great D+1 and rookie season) over Matthews (a hyped consensus #1 2016)?
No, because we see what they are in the NHL now. Just like we can see Zegras will be a superstar. You don't risk losing that for a maybe. If Zegras was say Nylander than I would say I'd take Wright.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
and choosing Zegras over Wright isn't wrong. But saying how you have no idea on earth how someone could choose arguably a generational talent over a player who has had 15-20 Strong NHL games recently is! Wright had better stats that year but I can tell you that they were not on the same field.
Wright is not arguably a generational talent lol. Not even close

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

and hindsight is 20-20. If we knew Makar was going to be Makar we wouldn't have taken Nico.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
would you have taken, say, Willy Nylander (drafted #8 2014, also had a great D+1 and rookie season) over Matthews (a hyped consensus #1 2016)?
No, because Wright is not even on the same planet as Matthews was as a prospect, and Nylander is nowhere near Zegras.

Reactions: bsu

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
No, because we see what they are in the NHL now. Just like we can see Zegras will be a superstar. You don't risk losing that for a maybe. If Zegras was say Nylander than I would say I'd take Wright.
No, because Wright is not even on the same planet as Matthews was as a prospect, and Nylander is nowhere near Zegras.
Nylander was looking like a superstar in his rookie season if you dont remember. Was just as hyped as Zegras too.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Wright is not arguably a generational talent lol. Not even close
well considering there are many that have listed him as that and the fact that he outscored McDavid in their first OHL year, I would say there is a pretty good arguement. When you think there is an argument that Wright had a betterseason than McDavid at that age?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Yet you are comparing Zegras to Draisatl
I think he will score a little less, make more highlights and be a better 2 way player than Drai. I think they will be comparable in about 2-3 more seasons. Both are game breaking talents.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
well considering there are many that have listed him as that and the fact that he outscored McDavid in their first OHL year, I would say there is a pretty good arguement. When you think there is an argument that Wright had a betterseason than McDavid at that age?

What Wright did at 15 has no bearing on the prospect at he is at 17. Which is definitely not a generational. 30p in 22 OHL games is miles from generational lol.

Yet you are comparing Zegras to Draisatl

I didn't compare Zegras to Draisaitl. I was just showing you how absurd your draft position argument is.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Exactly, that's why Zegras's draft position means absolutely nothing.
and I am not going to continue to argue. I am not arguing your point. I am arguing your comment which is opinion and a crazy one. sayint that you think Zegras is going to have the better career is differnet than "How on Earth is Wright winning this? Zegras has the higher floor and the higher ceiling". Judging by the poll it is pretty close and considering that one hasn't played in the NHL yet it pretty much tells you that your comment is crazy. You make it seem like they are miles apart when they are far from that.

Reactions: PainForShane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad