Proposal: Zacha + McLeod for W. Nylander + Marincin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hear me out on this one.

With Matthews, the Leafs have their future 1C locked up for the next 7+ years. I see Nylander as an offensive center who seems to find more success when he's the focal point of an offense, which he'll likely not get to be very often with all the talent in Toronto.

Why Toronto does this:
Zacha looks to be a very safe pick to be a solid two-way 2C who can play in all situations and provide a big shot on the power play. McLeod promises to be a solid 2 way 2C/3C with speed to burn. Having 2 big, speedy centers (who both have great games for wing too) with strong 2 way games who can carry the puck and chip in on offense like that would be the perfect fit behind / alongside Matthews and Kadri.

Toronto's forward group could look something like this by 2017-18:
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Kadri - Zacha - Soshnikov
Brown - McLeod - Bozak
Kapanen - Gauthier - Hyman

That is big, fast, and skilled down the middle (aside from goat, who's just big). Of course you have the option of moving Kadri / Bozak to C. Or you could trade one or both of them to pick up a top 4 D.

Why NJ does this:
This gives NJ the young playmaking center they've needed and adds a solid young defensive defenseman to help fill the hole left by Larsson's departure and give Santini more time to develop.

Hall - Henrique - Bennett
Cammalleri - Nylander - Palmieri
Boucher - Zajac - DSP
Kalinin - Fiddler - Josefson

That's 2 pretty good looking scoring lines with a solid 3rd line that can chip in as well. Having Nylander with 2 snipers like 'eri' brothers could be pretty fruitful.

Thoughts? Way off on value? Does it make sense for either side?

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
I would say the Leafs probably accept purely on value, but I'm not sure its a trade either team wants to make.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Right now, it looks like too much from the Devils.

If Marincin was that Dman that played the second half of the season, it's one the Leafs probably won't do.

But, it still should help both teams.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why will Nylander not get the opportunity?
I think most Leaf fans picture the future as:
Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
4th line center

Seems like plenty of opportunity.

The only way I deal Nylander is in a similar Johanson for Jones deal.
I'm not comparing players, just saying.
A team that has a lot of D depth but missing the center.
If not, I'm fine keeping Willy. It's to early to trade him before we know his ceiling. Again unless it's a bonafide RHD partner for Rielly.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
The value is there and you've done a great job explaining the reasons why it could/should be done but I think I'd rather just stick with Nylander and hope he pans out so that our composition down the middle is great and not just good.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Not high at all on Mcleod but Marincin is likely the worst piece of the deal here.

Still doesnt quite make sense for the Leafs. Trade Nylander to upgrade their 3c from Kadri to Mcleod. Theres a good chance thats not even an ungrade after its all set and done.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its fair value, but I wouldn't do it. I think the best player behind Matthews is actually an offensive force, similar to how Kane anchors the non-Toews line, and Jeff Carter anchors the line behind Kopitar. Zacha would allow Matthews to get easier minutes, but I truly think Matthews is maximized by being used in a very balanced fashion, similar to how Toews or Bergeron is used, allowing that 2nd line to feast on juicy matchups. To do this, you really need a high-end offensive talent on the so-called 2nd line.

Also, Kadri has never adapted well to the wing, we tried that years ago. He's a center who works best with a gritty supporting cast.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Neutral fan, would pass as NJ. In reality nobody trades recent top-15 picks for recent top-15 picks (let alone 2 of them) before they show what they have in the NHL.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The Leafs aren't moving Nylander for more young forwards. They have young forwards coming out of their ears. They might move him in a deal to acquire the right high end defenseman. Another one of these "let's steal Nylander before he breaks out" trade proposals.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As a leafs fan I would certainly do this deal in a heartbeat. That being said I think that Nylander has the highest ceiling. Both Zacha and McLeod have size and a two way game. Being able to likely play both centre and wing would be a real asset. Mcleod likely needs another year of junior and maybe a year of seasoning with the marlies.

We would also likely not protect Marincin at the expansion draft so it would help there as I believe he will likely be the player picked from our roster.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The Leafs aren't moving Nylander for more young forwards. They have young forwards coming out of their ears. They might move him in a deal to acquire the right high end defenseman. Another one of these "let's steal Nylander before he breaks out" trade proposals.

Couldn't it just as easily be a "let's steal Zacha and McLeod before they break out" trade proposal? Being "about to breakout" is totally subjective.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not a fan of either team, I'd say the value is pretty fair, slight overpay from NJ, but I still wouldn't do it from the Leafs standpoint. Nylander is the best player in the deal and more of a sure thing. Zacha is more physically gifted, but seems more boom/bust regarding his ceiling.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I've seen a lot of Nylander, Zacha and McLeod.

Nylander has the best talent of that group. He's also the most accomplished and advanced at the same age.

I would not do this trade from a Toronto standpoint.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Hear me out on this one.

With Matthews, the Leafs have their future 1C locked up for the next 7+ years. I see Nylander as an offensive center who seems to find more success when he's the focal point of an offense, which he'll likely not get to be very often with all the talent in Toronto.

Why Toronto does this:
Zacha looks to be a very safe pick to be a solid two-way 2C who can play in all situations and provide a big shot on the power play. McLeod promises to be a solid 2 way 2C/3C with speed to burn. Having 2 big, speedy centers (who both have great games for wing too) with strong 2 way games who can carry the puck and chip in on offense like that would be the perfect fit behind / alongside Matthews and Kadri.

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Brown - McLeod - Bozak

That is big, fast, and skilled down the middle (aside from goat, who's just big). Of course you have the option of moving Kadri / Bozak to C. Or you could trade one or both of them to pick up a top 4 D.

Why NJ does this:
This gives NJ the young playmaking center they've needed and adds a solid young defensive defenseman to help fill the hole left by Larsson's departure and give Santini more time to develop.

Boucher - Zajac - DSP

That's 2 pretty good looking scoring lines with a solid 3rd line that can chip in as well. Having Nylander with 2 snipers like 'eri' brothers could be pretty fruitful.

Nylander will NOT be moved for a lesser player at the same position.

Only way Nylander moves is for a top end RHD prospect.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Not touching this as a Leafs fan. It's been shown that teams typically win with two guys that can carry a line and Toronto looks to have those pieces in Nylander and Matthews.

Why trade a prospect that looks to have a fantastic offensive and defensive game for a player significantly worse offensively and marginally better defensively.

McLeod doesn't do much for me here. We have a better long term option for the third line and that's Kadri.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Hear me out on this one.

Why Toronto does this:

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Brown - McLeod - Bozak

Why NJ does this:

Boucher - Zajac - DSP

So the point of this trade is to give the Leafs an option for a 2C? And then you suggest moving Kadri to wing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad