Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Our top 5 prospects:
Levi
Savoie/Benson
Kulich
Ostlund

I wanted the pick traded or a D, but the good ones were gone and you don't pass up chance to pick a top 8 player at 13.

Reactions: Fjordy and Jim Bob

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I saw someone compare his playing style to Crosby. Smart and skilled, but not overly flashy. Also, uses his body incredibly well to shield the puck.

I love the fact he's a beast defensively. Happy to have him in our system. I have to think one of Rosen or Ostlund will be the odd man out in a trade.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Great pick. Benson reminds me of Skinner when he’s motivated and engaged. The best part Benson is wired to be like that 100% of the time.

If the worst critique about your game is you need to add muscle, I think you have a good player on your hands.

I have him at the low end comp of DeBrincat and at the high end Jack Hughes.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Winners

Buffalo Sabres

Pick: 13. Zach Benson
My ranking: No. 6

The Sabres are certainly leaning into the types of players they like, and I must say: They’re the types of players I really like, too. I think we’ll look back at Benson at No. 13 as one of the best value picks of the draft when all is said and done on these kids’ careers. He’s one of the most competitive and diligent two-way players in the draft, and he does it within a high-end skill game as an ultra-smart playmaker. I’m a huge fan and he’s going to be a fan favourite. Between Benson, Matthew Savoie, Noah Ostlund, Jiri Kulich, JJ Peterka and Jack Quinn, they’ve certainly spent a lot of draft capital on forwards in recent years. But with Rasmus Dahlin, Owen Power and Mattias Samuelsson locked into their top four long-term anyway, I love the bet on Benson.

Scott Wheeler likes the Sabres getting his 6th best prospect at 13.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Feel like Kevyn got a steal at 13. Benson's mix of high-end offensive skill, hockey IQ, and 200 foot game/defensive acumen sounds fantastic.

Reactions: HOOats

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
If only I could find a #9 on the clearance rack... Serioously, remember how cheap those Moulson jerseys were just before drafting Dahlin?
I have a 9 50th and a 15 from 2015 waitng...(I'll probably keep the 15 as is; whatever Eichel was, he was a moment in our history, and some of it was good. The 9 can go; he wasn't the captain.)

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
My personal opinion (don’t come for my head)

Zach Benson will be what most on here think Matt Savoie will be. (This is not a knock on Benson)

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
Really didn't expect him to be available at 13. Like this pick a lot but Adams has a lot of work to do today. I want more. (And wish Buffalo had been able to trade up for Moore!)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I haven't really followed the draft this year & i didn't even watch it last night.

He seems like a fine pick in a vacuum... But Adams is going to have to make a big trade. Probably multiple big trades. And he (along with a certain amount of this fanbase) simply don't seem willing to do that.
What does this have to do with picking Benson?

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This was Athletic rankings from the draft, either Wheeler or Pronman, can't remember:

Zach Benson

Best skaters
--

Best shot
--

Best passers
3rd

Best hands
HM

Most competitive
5th

Smartest
4th

Top two-way forwards
1st (!!!)

Highest floor
--

Highest ceiling
7th

What does this have to do with picking Benson?
Sir, this is a Wendy's...

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Sometimes you take the best player available, in this case the best player available is the teammate of last years first round pick!

Really curious if this means another young forward is getting shopped for some immediate-ish help on the blue line.
Why? He's just an asset at this point and years away from having to make a decision about NHL roster players.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I didn’t really follow any of the prospects this year. But the more I read now about Benson the more I like.

Great pick.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Great value, great talent. Buffalo was already a fun and easy to root for team last year. That's without adding Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich, Benson, Rosen etc.

The future is bright.

Any takes about not "building a championship roster" by drafting consecutive smaller guys are nonsensical.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad