Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
The kid looks 'tough to play against' in that he competes all over the ice, maximizes his shifts with the puck, and forces teams to defend every inch of the defensive zone. When he is checking he is tenacious and has that dog in him. What a gem to fall to 13.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I get he’s high skill…but two top 15 picks on tiny forwards is a hilarious misallocation. It’s about building a championship roster not the highest scoring team.

Typical small minded thinking. This allows them to create ripples of trade value, and he is a top 5 pick talent. I wanted Simashev; however he wasn't there. There are other ways to acquire the beef on the back end.

Reactions: JThorne and schpaff

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You think? I get that he's good, but you think that he's better than Savoie?
He outproduces Savoie on the same line while being 16 MONTHS younger and being a better defensive forward.

is this a serious question?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Sabres strong-arming me into jumping on the bandwagon by pretty much taking all my favourite guys from 2019-on.

Might have to embrace it and stop just lurking. My take on Benson:

I've been saying the same thing. Levi and Quinn (plus Benson now) are some of my favourite players in the world, and those are only a few of the Sabres' countless young and exciting talents.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Outside of Savoie and Benson (who are both absolute terrors on the ice) we don’t have small forwards. Tuch, Tage, Cozens, and Greenway are monsters. Skinner, Quinn, Peterka, Kulich, Ostlund, and Mitts are all around 5’11-6’ which is right around average for forwards. Rosen is listed at 5’11” but is on the slight side. Poltapov is very physically mature. Krebs is smaller but is one of our more physical forwards. Not to mention, our future top 3 D are massive.

Just a stupid thing to worry about in my opinion.

Go look at some recent drafts and see the forwards with size taken before smaller guys. Slaf over Cooley. Geekie over Nazar. Boucher over the rest of the 1st round. Caufield and Zegras going after Kakko and Dach. Debrincat, Point, and Stankoven. Im cherry picking but still, I think the league overrates forwards with size in their draft year.

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Heard someone say he has Konecny type comparable in the sense hes a puck hound, an absolute dawg, like others have mentioned in this thread, and his motor never stops going. I can see that but with a higher ceiling depending on how Granato in the future rolls out these lines & his usage.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I haven't really followed the draft this year & i didn't even watch it last night.

He seems like a fine pick in a vacuum... But Adams is going to have to make a big trade. Probably multiple big trades. And he (along with a certain amount of this fanbase) simply don't seem willing to do that.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
If this guy was two inches taller, he would have been talked about as just a hair behind the "top 5" of this draft

Do fans (and GMs) not realise he can still grow taller too? I put on another 2 inches after turning 18.

We shall see, won't we?? We shall see.

2023-24 season, yes we will see how this team performs in the playoffs. Anything less is not acceptable.

Sabres strong-arming me into jumping on the bandwagon by pretty much taking all my favourite guys from 2019-on.

Might have to embrace it and stop just lurking.
Welcome to the Sabres’ side of the boards. We will accept bandwagon fans. It’s nice to see others excited by the team. It gives the warm fuzzies after years of derision, ridicule and abuse. I mean to be fair the choices of head coach alone were enough to make even the stoutest fan turn into Duane.

I hope Duane is happy. Let’s make the playoffs for Duane this season.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Hopefully we aren't picking top 10 any time soon, so the chance for a player like this probably won't present itself for a while. Gotta stock up on skill while there's an opportunity
We've endured it,

We have the opportunity if these guys are truly driven, to be an honorable lightning team, that doesn't need to injure to win .. Bringing up thru farm team a third line w first line potential. Looks like we'll have 6 guys challenging the top six that will need to pk and be able to pp2 and be an O'Reilly type defensive forward, to see ice time .
Anyone on the roster, can't cut it or thinks too highly of themselves, or is injured and can't produce.. There are 6 elc guys fighting to kick the door down and force themselves into rotation..

I also Believe KA ,forton and Donny have looked at league and decided leverage and leg strength can mitigate height and there is a place for , briere, marchand ( both 5 9, and kycherov 5 11 ) types to break open games w speed if they have no fear and grit .
W speed of thinking increased, and rinks seemingly smaller , room to stick handle zone entry and fore check w speed to get by a Samuelson may require the Smurf w attitude on lines.. It took Skinner to distract and open up Thompson.
KA, smurf ( that can fight) distraction philosophy.

The D philosophy will hopefully finish playing out this year and upl or comrie will emerge and grow up to mitigate Levi mental troughs..
If not, we certainly can trade 2024 first an nhl regular w one of 6 prospects to get a saros , hellybuck. vasilevski, I believe KA thinks this generation can surpass the past stars.. Let's see it play out.

Reactions: HOOats

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

13. Buffalo Sabres: Zach Benson, LW​

This might be my favorite pick of the draft. The biggest issue is his 5-foot-9 frame scares some, but his skill, speed and playmaking ability rank among the top in the class. But from an offensive perspective? Downright lethal. And he’ll have a chance to continue his career with good buddy Matthew Savoie.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I mean Konecny has the same height and nothing, he plays well.
There are guys that have been busts at any size. There have been guys that have worked out at any size.

The last time the Sabres were monsters in the East, they were led by 5'9" Danny Briere and 5'10" Chris Drury. And that was before the focus on skill that we have today.

Yes, the Sabres have drafted some smaller guys early lately. But, it's not like the NHL roster is chock full of Smurfs, either.

Cozens - 6'3"
Girgensons - 6'2"
Greenway - 6'6"
Mittelstadt - 6'1"
Thompson - 6'6"
Tuch - 6'4"
Dahlin - 6'3"
Power - 6'6"
Samuelsson - 6'4"

They might have 2 Fs & 1 D on the NHL roster this season that are under 6' tall.

I am excited because one of the knocks on Savoie last year was that he was outplayed by an underager on his own team named Benson...

Having Krebs & Savoie here is a good thing for me and the vibes moving forward. Nobody is going to get me upset with this pick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

With him spending a lot of time working the minidonut stand, you know he's going to be on donut duty once he's a rookie.

:laugh:

And he talked about how influential Krebs was in the interview, too.

Winners​

Buffalo Sabres and New York Rangers

We’re grouping these two together because they both snagged incredibly skilled players who slipped a little down the board.

Few guys are easier to root for in this draft then Zach Benson, who had his name called at No. 13 by the Sabres. Small but ferocious, Benson is a battler whose approach to the game should be adored in a lunch-pail town like Buffalo.

Gabriel Perreault, meanwhile, set a U.S. NTDP record this year with 132 points in 63 games. Knock his skating all you want, his feel for the game and offensive vision are off the charts. The Rangers got him 23rd overall.

You could probably also throw Detroit getting D-man Axel Sandin Pellikka at No. 17 and Colorado snagging blue-liner Mikhail Gulyayev 31st overall into the conversation for Day 1 steals, too.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad