Prospect Info: Zach Benson, LW/C, Wenatchee (WHL), Signed ELC- 2023, 13th Overall

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Anyone disappointed should know Benson had more points than Savoie D+1

I was just about to post this. Benson, a year younger than Savoie had more points than SAVOIE this year in LESS games played. For the stats guys:

Savoie - 62GP 38G 58A 95 Pts
Benson - 60GP 36G 62A 98 Pts

Benson is actually almost a year and a half younger. Savoie will be 20 in January 2024, while Benson won't turn 19 until May 2024.

and I Love the Savoie pick.

It's pretty cool for these two, if they can come up through juniors and Sabres org together. That's some best man at their weddings bromance potential.

yasky

Nov 29, 2021
Sometimes you take the best player available, in this case the best player available is the teammate of last years first round pick!

Really curious if this means another young forward is getting shopped for some immediate-ish help on the blue line.

blackrock

Feb 8, 2007
Pretty sure he's the same track as Savoie. D+1 and D+2 in Wentachee (formerly Winnipeg), then eligible for Rochester D+3.
He won't be 20 for the 2024-25 season, but I believe he will have played 4 WHL seasons by then, which would make him eligible? Would be fantastic to see Benson and Savoie come to the Amerks together.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
As others said. We have Tage, Tuch is big, Cousins has size. On D, Dahlin Power and Sammy are all above ave size. If Savoie and Benson are undersized that's just fine by me. How would a team full of Marchand's do?

A team full of Marchands? Quite well.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I would say Tuch plays like a power forward. He's not Lindros, but power forward? Yes
Then i'll change the wording from true power forward to pure power forward. Tuch and Tage play a damn good finesse game. Neither plays pure power forward, or even close to it. If they get another guy who's like them or grittier, they could be like a Ryan-Gtezlaf-Perry line. Cycle or skill. The way our D jumps in, that would be a nightmare for other teams. I'm not sure Greenway can be that guy though. It's worth what we gave up to try it, though. Sabres would be a matchup nightmare.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I was just about to post this. Benson, a year younger than Savoie had more points than SAVOIE this year in LESS games played. For the stats guys:

Savoie - 62GP 38G 58A 95 Pts
Benson - 60GP 36G 62A 98 Pts

Benson is actually almost a year and a half younger. Savoie will be 20 in January 2024, while Benson won't turn 19 until May 2024.

and I Love the Savoie pick.

It's pretty cool for these two, if they can come up through juniors and Sabres org together. That's some best man at their weddings bromance potential.
Benson is the better two-way player by a good margin, too - which is remarkable given that Savoie is pretty good in that department.

It’s his smarts. Highest IQ in the draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Great result. Didn't think Benson would drop to #13. I'm only concerned about which winger gets traded for Dcorps help. It shouldn't be Benson, I just don't know who should be trade bait now.

I think we're back to it likely being Rosen as much as I like how his game has come along.
Benson is the better two-way player by a good margin, too - which is remarkable given that Savoie is pretty good in that department.

It’s his smarts. Highest IQ in the draft.

In a lot of viewing the 'dub this year, I think Benson is the best PKer in that league and one of the best defensive players period. I'm pumped that they picked him. Absolutely love this kid's game.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I would say Tuch plays like a power forward. He's not Lindros, but power forward? Yes
Concur. There were a few times this past season where RD would circle behind the net in the O zone bringing a trailing Dman straight into Tuch setting a perfect pick. Always comical to see how big Tuch is when he wants to be. He might not be a proper Pfwd but he'll do until one gets here.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Too early for a Benson #9 jersey? I want to get an Adidas one because I'll never buy one of those Fanatics junk ones when they make the full time move to the "authentic" jerseys.

I will tell you if you have a #9 with a former Sabre's cursed name on it, and if you take the time to remove the nameplate, Sorrentino Sports on Sheridan Drive in Buffalo will put on a new nameplate for you for under $15. Did that with my Fitzpatrick jersey when I got it changed to Sammy Watkins. Then I lost it at a Bills game in Nashville and never got it changed to Diggs - which sucks because it was one of the last Reebok jerseys that was actually built to last.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad