Proposal: Your top winger to New Jersey

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I would really hope to squeeze Mercer in there.

From a Flames perspective we are lacking RWs and I like his potential. I've seen him play live a bunch and believe he will turn into a very solid second line sniper.

Ty Smith is also very interesting but I doubt he is on the table.

At the end of the day we are bound to lose any trade we make with Gaudreau because he is going to absolutely light it up with this new team.

Getting back Wood (Sutter type player) Mercer and and either the late first/early second is an alright but not overly great package.

Like I said any trade with Gaudreau involved is going to haunt the flames for a long time.

We can’t be trading pieces like Wood and Mercer for a pending free agent. I like JG a lot, and I understand the New Jersey/East Coast thing, but we’re in no position to be taking a risk like that.

If Mercer is going to Calgary, Tkachuk is coming to New Jersey.

Reactions: devils29

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Zacha has 5 yrs in, he developed not great until he went to the wing. Devs will only play him there if need be. If Hughes adds more weight and muscle this off season again he will be exactly what we need in a C. He is responsible to supporting the D, backchecks well, is active in all 3 zones. Unless he falls off a cliff (could be better in the dot for sure) he's a C.
Yes it's been 5 years, he is breaking out this year.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
We can’t be trading pieces like Wood and Mercer for a pending free agent. I like JG a lot, and I understand the New Jersey/East Coast thing, but we’re in no position to be taking a risk like that.

If Mercer is going to Calgary, Tkachuk is coming to New Jersey.

It would take alot more than Mercer to get Tkachuk.

Tkachuk is the most valuable piece on the Flames. We would be talking multiple firsts, best prospect etc.

Not sure that the devils would entertain the cost in acquiring Chucky.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It would take alot more than Mercer to get Tkachuk.

Tkachuk is the most valuable piece on the Flames. We would be talking multiple first, best prospect etc.

Not sure that the devils would entertain the cost in acquiring Chucky.

Of course it would take a package. All I said is that if Mercer is a Flame, Tkachuk is a Devil.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don’t know what the Decils would do for a legit top 6 winger. It’s hard right now as they are waiting to see how Holtz Foote Mercer will look like coming up add in Bratt and Zajac and not sure exactly what we need
Zajac should be good in the future for the Devils. :naughty:

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
And a lot of those scoring issues came with Palmieri and Gusev playing big minutes and doing nothing with them. They spent two first round picks on wingers in the draft last year and they have two more playing well in the AHL. Five of their top six scorers this year are wingers, and all of them are scoring over 0.5 ppg, and three of them are 22 or younger.

Bratt
Zacha
Wood
Sharangovich
Kuokkanen
Foote
Clarke
Holtz
Mercer

Does that look like a system that needs more wingers?
None of those wingers scream potential star winger aside from Holtz. Mercer was a safe pick i see him being a Hyman/Miles Wood. I see Foote being a 2nd line goal scorer. Sharangovich is what he is.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
None of those wingers scream potential star winger aside from Holtz. Mercer was a safe pick i see him being a Hyman/Miles Wood. I see Foote being a 2nd line goal scorer. Sharangovich is what he is.

Honest question

have you watched Dawson Merer play at all? Because, yeah....

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012

Mercer plays nothing like Hyman.

Dudes a Sniper.

Quick release, looks for the soft spots on the ice and sneaks away from the play.

We aren't talking about a big bruiser, very much a finesse player.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ is having a rough season. Next season is very uncertain right now. They could improve substantially or not at all. Teams in that position usually try to patch with budget vet UFAs or make value trades. Hard to see a team very much rebuilding trade premium assets for a premium player who probably is approaching UFA in a year or two.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: