Value of: Your teams best offer for Mitch Marner

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
He has been one of the premier playmakers in the nhl since being drafted. He's been a fan favourite for years. That being said... he's been trash this year. I'm not sure if it's just disinterest, or he's becoming stagnant playing the same role with the same players year after year, but its been noticeably bad.

One of the core 4 have to go. This team isn't winning any trophies they way its built. I'm a big fan of keeping Nylander over Marner.

This isn't intended as a mock or argument thread. I'm just genuinely interested what fans of individual teams would be willing to offer to take Marner at the trade deadline.

1.5 years remaining @ 10.903 cap hit.

• Haha
Reactions: Lt Dan

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How many teams can actually afford to take on that cap hit, even with sending cap back? Few teams have that much space and/or expendable players.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
How many teams can actually afford to take on that cap hit, even with sending cap back? Few teams have that much space and/or expendable players.

Especially since the team would need to be a contender. Not a lot of contenders with that much freeable cap space. And even if there were one, would they see Marner as the piece to put them over the top within the next two postseasons?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I’m just not interested in his cap hit, playoff production or entitled attitude. He’s better than Matthews but that’s a low bar.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
By sending back cap? Isnt that an option?
It is, as I mentioned, but any team making that move has to believe that adding Marner at the expense of whatever players they send out makes them a better team.

I could see Washington being interested. They have cap space with Backstrom on LTIR. But Toronto would probably still have to take back Mantha or Kuznetsov.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
By sending back cap? Isnt that an option?

In theory, yes; in practice it’s not that simple. Even ignoring NTCs for the moment and assuming players would be willing to waive to go to Toronto, nobody’s going to want to send multiple good pieces for Marner and thereby kill the depth that made them contenders in the first place. So either substantial retention or at least one major cap dump would need to be involved.

Then consider what the return would reasonably include. Unless Toronto’s blowing it all up and looking for futures they’re going to want something coming back that makes them a better team now. But nobody’s going to give up a top tier defenseman (or center, for that matter) for a soft winger who disappears in big games.

So you’re looking at a situation where Toronto would have to retain (or pay a third team to retain) and/or take a large cap dump back, and on top of that they wouldn’t be getting a player back who is on Marner’s level - at best they’d get a lesser player along with maybe a pick/prospect or two that they could try to flip for another win-now piece.

That being the case, what scenario exists in which such a trade would benefit both Toronto and their hypothetical trade partner? Would Carolina be willing to swap a defenseman (other than Slavin) for Marner at 50%? And would that really improve the Leafs or would they just be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic?

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Marner for Garland and Kuzmenko

and the Canucks sign Nylander as a UFA, and in so doing,

once again create a Canadian Super team everyone will hate outside of the Wet Coast.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I’m just not interested in his cap hit, playoff production or entitled attitude. He’s better than Matthews but that’s a low bar.

5v5 playoff production /60 min played amount core 4 last 2 playoff

1-Matthews at 2,34
2- Marner at 2,32
3- Tavares at 1,69
4- Nylander at 1,39

% of the time on ice goal for ev g / 5v5 only
1- Marner 47% / 1-marner 49%
2- Matthews 40% / 2-Matthews 40%
3- nylander 33% / 3- jt 26%
4-tavares 30% / 4- nylander 23%

% of the time goal against
1- marner 1-29 % / Marner 24%
2-Matthews 33%/ 2- matthews/jt 30 %
3- Tavares 33% / 4- nylander 35%
4- Nylander 40%

total primary point ( goal + A1)
1- Marner 15
2-Matthews 13
3- Tavares/Nylander 13

the funny thing its see fan reacting likr marner had been by far leafs worst player and nylander by far leafs best player

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
In theory, yes; in practice it’s not that simple. Even ignoring NTCs for the moment and assuming players would be willing to waive to go to Toronto, nobody’s going to want to send multiple good pieces for Marner and thereby kill the depth that made them contenders in the first place. So either substantial retention or at least one major cap dump would need to be involved.

Then consider what the return would reasonably include. Unless Toronto’s blowing it all up and looking for futures they’re going to want something coming back that makes them a better team now. But nobody’s going to give up a top tier defenseman (or center, for that matter) for a soft winger who disappears in big games.

So you’re looking at a situation where Toronto would have to retain (or pay a third team to retain) and/or take a large cap dump back, and on top of that they wouldn’t be getting a player back who is on Marner’s level - at best they’d get a lesser player along with maybe a pick/prospect or two that they could try to flip for another win-now piece.

That being the case, what scenario exists in which such a trade would benefit both Toronto and their hypothetical trade partner? Would Carolina be willing to swap a defenseman (other than Slavin) for Marner at 50%? And would that really improve the Leafs or would they just be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic?
i could see calgary interested to swap huberdeau for marner. i can't see toronto.

finding a match between two contenders will be difficult to impossible.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
5v5 playoff production /60 min played amount core 4 last 2 playoff

1-Matthews at 2,34
2- Marner at 2,32
3- Tavares at 1,69
4- Nylander at 1,39

% of the time on ice goal for ev g / 5v5 only
1- Marner 47% / 1-marner 49%
2- Matthews 40% / 2-Matthews 40%
3- nylander 33% / 3- jt 26%
4-tavares 30% / 4- nylander 23%

% of the time goal against
1- marner 1-29 % / Marner 24%
2-Matthews 33%/ 2- matthews/jt 30 %
3- Tavares 33% / 4- nylander 35%
4- Nylander 40%

total primary point ( goal + A1)
1- Marner 15
2-Matthews 13
3- Tavares/Nylander 13

the funny thing its see fan reacting likr marner had been by far leafs worst player and nylander by far leafs best player
Mid

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
what team wants to send a huge bounty to the Leafs, then spend upwards of 12M x 8 to re-sign him? Very skilled, productive player, but is he a guy you win a Cup with? Is he a guy you can win a Cup with? I don't think he can be the best player on a Cup winner, and so far, he hasn't proven that he can be the 2nd best player on a Cup winning team.

If he could be re-signed for 9-10M, then sure, there's a market for him. At 13M, it blows the salary structure of the acquiring team up. What are you going to pay your #1C, and #1D?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
First, it's not going to happen for all the reasons mentioned previously plus Toronto has no interest in moving him.

But for argument's sake, any offers almost certainly will have to address Toronto's thin blue line made worse with a few injuries. A big, physical RD would be a good start.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
First, it's not going to happen for all the reasons mentioned previously plus Toronto has no interest in moving him.

But for argument's sake, any offers almost certainly will have to address Toronto's thin blue line made worse with a few injuries. A big, physical RD would be a good start.
Very likely right on first. Although, Tre/Shanny should consider it.

Physicality wouldn't be the #1 priority IMO. Overall talent is, and if they bring an edge, then good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad