GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
TBH, when I see dirty plays, I just wonder how another fan base see's the situation.

I definitively knew before posting everyone here would think it's normal acting like Hughes wasn't trying to hit/hurt the player.
“Oh silly me just coming in peace asking the fans of a team who just dominated a game and lost how they feel about an inconsequential play that meant nothing”.

People like you are the worst kind of poster. Stay in your own lane.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That loss was brutal.

It seems to be a similar formula we've witnessed for years across multiple teams and coaches now...tons of chances with no finish.

Dominate possession, shots and zone time and come away tied or worse yet, down...rush after rush, chance after chance and a moment of sloppy defense and it's in the back of our net.

It's heartbreaking to watch as a fan of this team. Hopefully they can clean things up quickly but what I saw last night looked very similar to many years past...

The worst part is they wasted a brilliant performance from Nico. Might of been one of his best games ever

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
TBH, when I see dirty plays, I just wonder how another fan base see's the situation.

I definitively knew before posting everyone here would think it's normal acting like Hughes wasn't trying to hit/hurt the player.
Then why post here after a bad loss? You just outed yourself as being an asshole.

Reactions: Devils731

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It’s only 10 games, but:

IMG_2923.jpeg

IMG_2924.jpeg

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Then why post here after a bad loss? You just outed yourself as being an asshole.

I mean, I don't feel like yes approaching it in an asshole manner. He didn't come here to start a flame war. Now that said, I get your response. Kinda something you have to expect. But all he did was ask a question.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When they were sitting comfortably at the top of the standings cuz they had so many extra games played, it was "oh we're 5-2"

now it's "too early to look at standings, standings don't matter" I can't :laugh:
I mean those aren’t contradictory the way you’re making it out to be, 5-2 was a good start no matter how many games other teams played. And it is too early to look at the standings, particularly with the differences in games played. But you don’t have to look at the standings to know three straight losses giving up nineteen goals is unacceptable, especially against possible/likely conference playoff contenders. Or that if you fall below .500 you have to start playing catchup where the standings even matter.

Reactions: CalamityX23

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Hey... come on. I asked about a dirty play. If I really wanted to be a jerk I could be making fun of the team/goalie/coach/signing/etc/etc.

I'm not doing that; I'll leave you alone.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Some day everyone will realize goaltender is irrelevant without decent team play in front of them.

? They played a fantastic game last night, the goalies have been putrid for the last week

I mean those aren’t contradictory the way you’re making it out to be, 5-2 was a good start no matter how many games other teams played. And it is too early to look at the standings, particularly with the differences in games played. But you don’t have to look at the standings to know three straight losses giving up nineteen goals is unacceptable, especially against possible/likely conference playoff contenders. Or that if you fall below .500 you have to start playing catchup where the standings even matter.

Capitals legit might be really good this year so I don't even mind that 6-5 OT loss with a few days of knowledge. The losses that annoy me right now are are the Tampa Bay/Leafs games the most

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
people say im negative lol

team fought hard all game even when down a goal. they were physical and answered the call like i hoped they would. all stuff you didnt see last year so keep playing that way and they will be fine. goaltending will come around to be average which is all we need. goaltending easier to fix then the skaters not caring imo

Reactions: Devs3cups

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They didn't play well defensively and they haven't all season. Getting lots of chances and not taking care of your own zone is not playing a good game.
They allowed 19 shots on Markstrom last night. If our supposed above average goalie can’t handle a nineteen shot game then that’s on him.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They didn't play well defensively and they haven't all season. Getting lots of chances and not taking care of your own zone is not playing a good game.

A lot of folks seem content looking at the stats and the win o meter thing and saying the game was great.

I'm there with you. Defensively it was not a great game and even offensively I feel like the stats were flattering.

What was clear to me was that Detroit was a step behind us all night. If there really is some illness going through their room that makes sense. They were also down a forward. But I wouldn't say their execution was necessarily way worse than ours. They just couldn't keep up.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Some of it probably is mental with this group thinking they have to outscore teams too but there's no excuse for last night from Markstrom on the GWG and probably the DeBrincat goal even if Luke turned it over. Why do the goalies get a pass for shit goals/games but it's all on the defense when a mistake happens? They're allowed to make saves, not sure why this fanbase is so ingrained to think defense has to do every little thing for a goalie. We saw Marty bail out teams on grade A scoring chances against, Schneider for 3-4 years do it. It's ok to have some semblance of a NHL standard for goaltending.

A lot of folks seem content looking at the stats and the win o meter thing and saying the game was great.

I'm there with you. Defensively it was not a great game and even offensively I feel like the stats were flattering.

What was clear to me was that Detroit was a step behind us all night. If there really is some illness going through their room that makes sense. They were also down a forward. But I wouldn't say their execution was necessarily way worse than ours. They just couldn't keep up.

It has nothing to do with looking at that meter, the Devils outclassed Detroit all night. An apparent strength of this team coming into this year or something that we thought wasn't a weakness, still looks f***ing terrible beyond belief in the goaltending. Breakdowns happen in a game, if you expect the 1990's and 2000's Devils in today's era where Marty probably faced 1-2 A+ chances some games then I don't know what to tell you. Talbot made more A+ saves in the first 5 minutes of the game than Markstrom did all night

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Some of it probably is mental with this group thinking they have to outscore teams too but there's no excuse for last night from Markstrom on the GWG and probably the DeBrincat goal even if Luke turned it over. Why do the goalies get a pass for shit goals/games but it's all on the defense when a mistake happens? They're allowed to make saves, not sure why this fanbase is so ingrained to think defense has to do every little thing for a goalie. We saw Marty bail out teams on grade A scoring chances against, Schneider for 3-4 years do it. It's ok to have some semblance of a NHL standard for goaltending.

It has nothing to do with looking at that meter, the Devils outclassed Detroit all night. An apparent strength of this team coming into this year or something that we thought wasn't a weakness, still looks f***ing terrible beyond belief in the goaltending. Breakdowns happen in a game, if you expect the 1990's and 2000's Devils in today's era where Marty probably faced 1-2 A+ chances some games then I don't know what to tell you. Talbot made more A+ saves in the first 5 minutes of the game than Markstrom did all night

I really think we overrate our chances too. I would be willing to bet 95% of our roster does not score the goal Detroit did on their first. Probably would shoot it back into the d man or find a way to miss the net or something. We had a ton of possession. Skated circles around them. But most of the opportunities were one and dones as far as getting rebound chances on goal.

No doubt we completely outskated them all night though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
They allowed 19 shots on Markstrom last night. If our supposed above average goalie can’t handle a nineteen shot game then that’s on him.

It's seems to be a reoccurring theme with this team that's spanned across three or 4 coaches and 5 or 6 goaltenders now...

And I am starting to believe that possession/shots are completely irrelevant when it comes to this team...

The general premise was always if you're controlling the puck the other team isn't scoring....but if it takes your team 10 minutes of possession to score a goal but it only takes 4 minutes possession for the opposite to score...what does any of the shot totals or possession matrices mean?

I don't know? But this is a discussion we've had on this very sight about this team for at least 4 maybe 5 years now

Reactions: Palates

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I really think we overrate our chances too. I would be willing to bet 95% of our roster does not score the goal Detroit did on their first. Probably would shoot it back into the d man or find a way to miss the net or something. We had a ton of possession. Skated circles around them. But most of the opportunities were one and dones as far as getting rebound chances on goal.

This is akin to 'the referees are biased against us' and the like. The purest distillation of confirmation bias that there is.

The Devils score plenty of goals and they score them in a lot of different ways.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This is akin to 'the referees are biased against us' and the like. The purest distillation of confirmation bias that there is.

The Devils score plenty of goals and they score them in a lot of different ways.

I guess that's fair. Though there have been a large share of garbage time goals this year. But it's better than no goals.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's seems to be a reoccurring theme with this team that's spanned across three or 4 coaches and 5 or 6 goaltenders now...

And I am starting to believe that possession/shots are completely irrelevant when it comes to this team...

The general premise was always if you're controlling the puck the other team isn't scoring....but if it takes your team 10 minutes of possession to score a goal but it only takes 4 minutes possession for the opposite to score...what does any of the shot totals or possession matrices mean?

I don't know? But this is a discussion we've had on this very sight about this team for at least 4 maybe 5 years now

I understand where you're coming from, however there is an expectation for your goalie to come up with a save once in a while that helps bail out your defense. A perfect example is what took place on the other side of the ice tonight with Cam Talbot.

In turn, Markstrom finished in the negative again for goals saved above expected.

He isn't alone in shouldering blame here, there were egregious giveaways in our own end and the penalty Mercer took to put us on the PK in that final sequence was so braindead. The PK was also way too lax to give Kane all that space to shoot, but it was a clean look from the point that Markstrom got plenty of. He should've been able to get all of it.

There's a lot at play right now. And I have to continue to bang the drum that time is needed for everything to come together the way Keefe (and all of us) want it to. But I can't fault anyone at the same time for being frustrated with what we've seen the past 3 games, because as you mention, it looks rather familiar in a bad way.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The problem is when they break down, they *really* break down. It’s wild to watch over the course of a game because we never seemingly get those types of gifted chances.

Against Washington it was mostly bad/careless puck play, but last night was something else. Still, they dominated those guys and got sunk by goaltending (for and against). I can’t help but be less mad at that.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I understand where you're coming from, however there is an expectation for your goalie to come up with a save once in a while that helps bail out your defense. A perfect example is what took place on the other side of the ice tonight with Cam Talbot.

In turn, Markstrom finished in the negative again for goals saved above expected.

He isn't alone in shouldering blame here, there were egregious giveaways in our own end and the penalty Mercer took to put us on the PK in that final sequence was so braindead. The PK was also way too lax to give Kane all that space to shoot, but it was a clean look from the point that Markstrom got plenty of. He should've been able to get all of it.

There's a lot at play right now. And I have to continue to bang the drum that time is needed for everything to come together the way Keefe (and all of us) want it to. But I can't fault anyone at the same time for being frustrated with what we've seen the past 3 games, because as you mention, it looks rather familiar in a bad way.
Only problem is you can erase the name Markstrom and replace it with 4 or 5 different names and change the year to any of the last four and we are having the same exact conversation....

You may have even written the same post for Vitek last year

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

So now it matters HOW they score? And you're right, they probably don't because Talbot probably robs them blind lmao. All I'm saying is that if you trade a first round pick for a goalie, you're allowed to steal games. He did that in Ottawa and the first Buffalo game so it's not even a question can he do it, it's just the consistency he does it with.

The problem is when they break down, they *really* break down. It’s wild to watch over the course of a game because we never seemingly get those types of gifted chances.

Against Washington it was mostly bad/careless puck play, but last night was something else. Still, they dominated those guys and got sunk by goaltending (for and against). I can’t help but be less mad at that.

Which is fine but you can still make saves as a goaltender, it doesn't mean you just have a built in excuse because something happened defensively that you just decide to stay a statue in net or just concede a goal.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So now it matters HOW they score? And you're right, they probably don't because Talbot probably robs them blind lmao. All I'm saying is that if you trade a first round pick for a goalie, you're allowed to steal games. He did that in Ottawa and the first Buffalo game so it's not even a question can he do it, it's just the consistency he does it with.

I'm not going to defend Markstrom. I just fear this idea that an average goalie fixes the team. I definitely would love to see better goaltending. I just don't feel like it's even close to the only thing wrong right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad