Post-Game Talk: Ladies and Gents- The Core of the Maple Leafs does it again. Leafs lose

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Why should it be Florida/Toronto fighting for first?
Sure, the Atlantic is weaker this year, but the Leafs are one of reasons it is weaker.
Leafs are a 100 point regular season team until proven otherwise (we’ve seen this).
I don’t see the other 3 getting 100 points.

The Leafs are also a 1st round disappointment until proven otherwise (we’ve seen this).

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Shocking when changing the player that has a C sewn onto their sweater and the coach did not constitute a wholesale change of the culture.

We have been this since the Montreal series. Every year we talk ourselves into this team. Maybe it's time to accept that they (the core 4), simply aren't, and never were, good enough.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Leafs will go on a heater in November like they always do. There should be no concerns from anyone.
They have to come out of October above 500 and a 7-5 or better November if they want to make the playoffs. And get some loser points.

They play 15 games in Dec, with a 3 day Christmas break.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

The same four underachieving forwards on the top PP should’ve been split ages ago. Ludicrous that they’re still thrown over the boards every man-advantage to just f*** around.

Never understood the approach of loading up your PP1 and then having table scraps for PP2.

PP1 is going to get the other teams best PKer's, PP2 is going to get the other teams "B-Team" PKer's, why give the other team the option to only have to defend against all of your best offensive players by loading up PP1? Balance your PP units, so your PP1 gets a little weaker but your PP2 gets much stronger, I like the idea of having Robertson/McMann shooting with Marner setting them up and Tavares in front of the net to tip or get rebounds. Matty and Willie the shooters, Domi setting them up and Knies in front of the net creating havoc.

PP1
Matthews
Domi
Nylander
OEL
Knies

PP2
Robertson
Marner
Tavares
Rielly
McMann

Wasn't the PP on the previous team that Savard's was responsible for, dogshit too?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
CBJ was missing Johnson, Gudbranson, Voronkov and Jenner...to say nothing of Gaudreau.

STL was missing Thomas last night

These were winnable games, I am not even angry or anything like that, just frustrated.

I was thinking last year we started slow and then they did Matthews-88 and moved Marner away from Matthews, we won games as Nylander got more ice time.

The second that line slumped, it seemed like Keefe took that chance to break them up. That would be something I would look at doing right now.

Knies-Matthews-88
McMann-JT-Marner
Holmberg-Domi-Robertson
Lorentz-Kampf-Reaves

Re-evaluate as Jarnkrok, Patches etc become available again.

The PP quite simply needs to be dismantled.

OEL is on the point, Matthews is on PP1, after that, figure out the rest.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Pretty ugly when the highest paid guys play like they don’t give a shit.

That Nylander contract is going to age like milk.

or forgot how to play, they legitimately look like a group that put on the skates for the first time.

Leafs hit the ice for Friday Practice:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

They gave us one hardcore game to get us hooked and now it's all softcore. Bait and switch

Leafs win the Cup in October by beating the Bolts?

giphy.gif

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
CBJ was missing Johnson, Gudbranson, Voronkov and Jenner...to say nothing of Gaudreau.

STL was missing Thomas last night

These were winnable games, I am not even angry or anything like that, just frustrated.

I was thinking last year we started slow and then they did Matthews-88 and moved Marner away from Matthews, we won games as Nylander got more ice time.

The second that line slumped, it seemed like Keefe took that chance to break them up. That would be something I would look at doing right now.

Knies-Matthews-88
McMann-JT-Marner
Holmberg-Domi-Robertson
Lorentz-Kampf-Reaves

Re-evaluate as Jarnkrok, Patches etc become available again.

The PP quite simply needs to be dismantled.

OEL is on the point, Matthews is on PP1, after that, figure out the rest.
I’m not sure Knies should be on the top line. He’s never been a point producer and his hands haven’t been quick enough.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Didn't Edmonton go on a 200 game losing streak last season and still make it to game 7 of the SCF cup final?

Just an unrelated question. I firmly believe we will be relegated to the AHL this season.

Reactions: Cleetus

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I’m not sure Knies should be on the top line. He’s never been a point producer and his hands haven’t been quick enough.

Our LW depth is pretty bad unfortunately, Bertuzzi was at least a legit top 6 guy, slow start to that season aside.

Knies is the best option we have but something we'll have to address either this year or next.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Never understood the approach of loading up your PP1 and then having table scraps for PP2.

PP1 is going to get the other teams best PKer's, PP2 is going to get the other teams "B-Team" PKer's, why give the other team the option to only have to defend against all of your best offensive players by loading up PP1? Balance your PP units, so your PP1 gets a little weaker but your PP2 gets much stronger, I like the idea of having Robertson/McMann shooting with Marner setting them up and Tavares in front of the net to tip or get rebounds. Matty and Willie the shooters, Domi setting them up and Knies in front of the net creating havoc.

PP1
Matthews
Domi
Nylander
OEL
Knies

PP2
Robertson
Marner
Tavares
Rielly
McMann

Wasn't the PP on the previous team that Savard's was responsible for, dogshit too?
I was listening to Adam Oates yesterday on Kyper and Bourne and he emphatically stated he does not understand why teams would have balanced PP1 and PP2.

I will say specifically with the Leafs being top heavy why wouldn't they load up PP1.
If teams don't have high end offensive talent, sure. go a more balanced approach.

On a side note Dallas who went into last nights game against Boston with a horrible PP record this season.
They’ve only accumulated five total power-play points all year (Matt Duchene has two, Mason Marchment, Roope Hintz and Logan Stankoven had one apiece) — all of which translates to a power-play success rate of 9.5 percent scored 3 PP goals last night.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Didn't Edmonton go on a 200 game losing streak last season and still make it to game 7 of the SCF cup final?

Just an unrelated question. I firmly believe we will be relegated to the AHL this season.
I think the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup this season.

Look, even Evilhomer won't say anything close to that. I win.

• Wow
Reactions: ThrowDemTongs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I was listening to Adam Oates yesterday on Kyper and Bourne and he emphatically stated he does not understand why teams would have balanced PP1 and PP2.

I will say specifically with the Leafs being top heavy why wouldn't they load up PP1.
If teams don't have high end offensive talent, sure. go a more balanced approach.

On a side note Dallas who went into last nights game against Boston with a horrible PP record this season.
They’ve only accumulated five total power-play points all year (Matt Duchene has two, Mason Marchment, Roope Hintz and Logan Stankoven had one apiece) — all of which translates to a power-play success rate of 9.5 percent scored 3 PP goals last night.
For me, I'd always load one unit and give them the entire two minutes.

Reactions: 1specter

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
How's Cowan doing in London thus far? We may need him to become a core member pretty soon cause I don't believe they can bring this core back next season in tact.
He’s not hit his full stride yet. He’s consistently gotten at least 1 point in each game, but he can show more for sure.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

With dogshit goaltending but McDavid is better than anyone we have, Drai is as good as anyone we have and..... they are not the Leafs.

Every year the Leafs think of new inventive ways to crush the souls of Leaf fans ...

giphy.gif

Reactions: mjd1001

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

WOW and he is one of the best set up guys of all time... for me in any team sport its about purposely setting up mismatches. If your 1st PP cancels out their 1st PK, then if your 2nd PP is a little better than their 2nd PK, you should score more on the PP. Right now teams are just loading up and shutting down one unit and the 2nd unit is so inept they shut themselves down.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Who else thinks Tanev is playing hurt? He’s been awful the last two games………..

Who knew they would tune Chief out in less than 10 games?

Been saying it for about eight years………

Because that’s a real team, Leafs have proved they can play like that, just not for more than a handful of games…….
Possibly that blocked shot on the PK in the TB game?

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Pretty ugly when the highest paid guys play like they don’t give a shit.

That Nylander contract is going to age like milk.
I am not really sure this is true.

In 8 years time the cap will be significantly higher and the fact that he is not all that physical and os in great shape says his body should hold up.

It was necer a great contract, but if he is 35 goals/ 80-90 points at the end it will be easier to stomache

Reactions: ACC1224

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad