GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This was probably their best defensive effort of the year so far. They gave up as close to nothing as you can.

Markstrom was below average tonight.

If the team plays mostly like this all season and Markstrom manages to at least be average. They will win plenty of games.

If the skaters play like they did on Tuesday most nights then yeah it doesn't matter what the goalies do, but I think it's far more likely tonight is closer to what the skaters can do.

The fear is this is closer to Markstroms best too, which would be bad

Reactions: Devs3cups

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
Missed most of the game but caught the 3rd period on the radio.

Thought the talent alone would win them some games like tonight. Guess not.

Not saying the season is over or anything but maybe this is just what they are: A team that fights with Ottawa/NYI/Buffalo/Pittsburgh/Washington for that last wild card spot. Kinda shocking to me, but here we are.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
FITZ has a lot of pressure on himself, but I don't think he will get fired for not firing a goalie coach. Keefe made the decision if he wanted to keep some of the existing coaches so he kept the goalie coach. Tonight the Devils lost 1 maybe 2 points because of a bad goal by Markstrom. I have not been impressed with either Markstrom or Allen, but it is early. These goalie stand alone getting themselves going.

Go Devils
He won’t get fired for not firing the goalie coach. He’ll get fired simply if we miss the playoffs this year.

Not firing the goalie coach may have a hand in us not making the playoffs this year.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
This was probably their best defensive effort of the year so far. They gave up as close to nothing as you can.

If the team plays mostly like this all season and Markstrom manages to at least be average. They will win plenty of games.

If the skaters play like they did on Tuesday most nights then yeah it doesn't matter what the goalies do, but I think it's far more likely tonight is closer to what the skaters can do.

Imo, the real question is if they can play like this more often than not.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

The 2 Sabres game and the Utah game were better defensive efforts.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That game winner sucked.

Second goal was stoppable too. If he had just saved that Kane goal, I think you could forgive and even forget that second goal.

Kane fired that one from his backyard in Buffalo.

Reactions: My3Sons and Dialamo

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Mercer has been good this year

As like a 3rd line defensive forward yeah. He's been stapled to the best forward on the team though and isn't providing enough offense for what you want from him

Agree about the 2nd Sabres game and the Utah game, but the first Sabres game, they allowed lots of chances and Markstrom saved them.

The first 10 minutes of the Sabres game was pretty spotty but I liked the rest of the game. The 3rd they were hemmed in turtling to protect the lead but I thought they did a good job not really giving up much of anything dangerous.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

He's had 2 great games and 3 bad ones and I'd argue he was good in the Carolina game but had a bad goal given up in that one (I think it was the Ghost goal where he slide out of the net pretty much), The issue isn't getting Markstrom's best, the issue is we don't know which Markstrom we will get nightly and for a core that's already shell shocked recently due to bad goaltending, it's a massive issue to say the least

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
You're right and wrong, Rogalski should've been fired with his results with previous goalies but Markstrom has been absolute dogshit outside of 2 games this year. He was traded for a first rounder, he wasn't expected to be an issue this year. The Kane goal tonight is something everyone would bitch and want Vanecek tarred and feathered if Vanecek let that up tonight.
Ok you want to blame the goalie coach - -alright fine, that’s still a correlation to the team not the idea that every f***ing goalie we have had for literally years now is the worst in the league. This would be a seriously unprecedented run of bad player signings at a singular position.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Imo, the real question is if they can play like this more often than not.

I legitimately think they can. I think they have the right mix of talent. I think Keefe has always been a successful regular season coach even with slow starts.

There should be no good reason they can't play consistently good hockey in front of their goalies the next 72 games IMO.

Nico is a super stud. Timo is too. Jack is finding his game again. Bratt should do the same too. We have a ton of talent on our blue line. We got the right mix of grit in our bottom 6.

I would prefer a top 6 winger instead of having to rely on Palat or Tatar in those roles but I don't think that should be the difference between us being a playoff team or a lotto team.

I also do think Markstrom and Allen can be good enough despite not being that overall so far.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
If this group needs elite/top tier goaltending to win they're in trouble cause there's like 5 of those in the league lmfao.

If I'm Daws I'm literally salivating for that starter spot in 2 years and grinding like crazy to get better. The starter's role could potentially be spoon fed to him.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If this group needs elite elite/top tier to win they're in trouble cause there's like 5 of those in the league lmfao.

If I'm Daws I'm literally salivating for that starter spot in 2 years and grinding like crazy to get better. The starter's role could potentially be spoon fed to him.

Would be nice but I really don't think Daws is any good

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Ok you want to blame the goalie coach - -alright fine, that’s still a correlation to the team not the idea that every f***ing goalie we have had for literally years now is the worst in the league. This would be a seriously unprecedented run of bad player signings at a singular position.

I mean I said it was NY Jets like with them getting Rodgers the other day, I got flamed for it but it does give that type of vibe. They could just be unlucky with the goaltender with this core, there's plenty of reasons why certain cores don't win or achieve what they need to. I give Fitz credit for trying to figure it out but he's going to lose his job if Markstrom sucks and the next GM will be tasked on figuring the goaltending out. Maybe the solution was Hellebuyck all along but that dude sucks in the playoffs so even that might be a moot point

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That game winner sucked.

Second goal was stoppable too. If he had just saved that Kane goal, I think you could forgive and even forget that second goal.

Markstrom, deciding whether to make a save after the seas parted and he saw Kane...

no-i-dont-think.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another ugly one tomorrow and the crowd will erupt.

Tuesday was the loudest negative reaction we’ve heard from our fans since game 2 of the 22-23 season. If not the 1st period of game 3 of that season, when we went down 2-0 to the Ducks, which we came back to win.

Reactions: NJDevs26

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
That game winner sucked.

For that to be the GWG is such a kick in the nuts, I was bitching about this core being soft on Tuesday after the hit on Bratt and then it went to chaos but they deserved so much better tonight.

Reactions: Bleedred

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
He's had 2 great games and 3 bad ones and I'd argue he was good in the Carolina game but had a bad goal given up in that one (I think it was the Ghost goal where he slide out of the net pretty much), The issue isn't getting Markstrom's best, the issue is we don't know which Markstrom we will get nightly and for a core that's already shell shocked recently due to bad goaltending, it's a massive issue to say the least

He can give up a soft goal every night for all I care, as long as he still makes a few extra saves then he has lately.

One save tonight on a shot he saw all the way that was going into his body and we at least avoid a regulation lose.

Give me that extra save most nights and we should be ok

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad