GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If this group needs elite/top tier goaltending to win they're in trouble cause there's like 5 of those in the league lmfao.

If I'm Daws I'm literally salivating for that starter spot in 2 years and grinding like crazy to get better. The starter's role could potentially be spoon fed to him.
We needed regular ass goaltending to win tonight. We got shit smeared ass and came away with 0 points. Anything resembling “good” goaltending and it wouldn’t have been close.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We needed regular ass goaltending to win tonight. We got shit smeared ass and came away with 0 points. Anything resembling “good” goaltending and it wouldn’t have been close.
I 100% agree with tonight. Was talking in the general sense. Tonight they just needed average goaltending at best and they didn't get it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
He can give up a soft goal every night for all I care, as long as he still makes a few extra saves then he has lately.

One save tonight on a shot he saw all the way that was going into his body and we at least avoid a regulation lose.

Give me that extra save most nights and we should be ok

I mean he did make a few saves tonight and I disagree, you don't bring in Markstrom just for average goaltending. You brought him to be a complete difference maker at the position. He's arguably the best goaltender that was available on the market due to his 5v5 high danger save ability. If he's giving up Patrick Kane wrist shots with no screen, we've lost the plot. You flip the goalies and it's a 10-0 Devils win

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yup. That wasn’t even unlucky goaltending.

Now me of all people, I don’t necessarily think because a goalie allowed 4 goals on 19 shots or allowed 4 goals on 2 expected means they had a bad game. Sometimes there’s luck involved and the goalie can’t really do anything on any of the goals.

But goal 2 tonight was a stoppable one and goal 4 was an absolutely brutal one.

And it was a close game. One non-empty net goal loss. It wasn’t like the two bad goals came in a 7-2 loss.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean he did make a few saves tonight and I disagree, you don't bring in Markstrom just for average goaltending. You brought him to be a complete difference maker at the position. He's arguably the best goaltender that was available on the market due to his 5v5 high danger save ability. If he's giving up Patrick Kane wrist shots with no screen, we've lost the plot. You flip the goalies and it's a 10-0 Devils win

I'm beyond shell shocked with our goaltending that I'll settle for average shit just because I'm so tired of below average.

You are right that Markstrom was not brought in to just be average, but I'll take average at this point

Reactions: NJDevs26

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Hasnt Daws impressed at every level hes played in?

I mean he had a good OHL year as an over ager after 2 years of .800 goaltending. He had the mediocre and overrated original stint here because people were grading him on a curve. He had a good rookie 20 games in Utica 4 seasons ago and has gotten worse every single year. .916 down to .904 down to .890 down to .876 in 3 games to start this year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Daws stinks too unfortunately

think the next wave after him is our best bet. Poulter or Yegorov, but they probably are years away

They're gonna make another trade or UFA move after Markstrom, I think. The question is who? Crazy thing is imagine if we signed a Stolarz type and then made a run for Igor this summer lol

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Man Detroit became super unlikeable to me between shit bag Larkin and their coach Gru from Despicable Me.

I want to like Markstrom but he's a major meh so far. Looked like Blackwood on that last goal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah Fitz was chasing this dude for a year and gave up a first rounder, you don’t do that for ‘league average’. If he continues to fail it’s on Fitz and Marty’s puppet goalie coach.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'm beyond shell shocked with our goaltending that I'll settle for average shit just because I'm so tired of below average.

You are right that Markstrom was not brought in to just be average, but I'll take average at this point

I mean....that's pretty much what he is though. Expecting some kind of miracle from him was weird.

That being said, I am putting the blame much more on the goalie coach. Even a guy like Markstrom has not looked good here and you have to wonder why

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
LMFAOOO, holy hell. Did the eye test go along with this

IMG_0210.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: NJDevs26

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yup. That wasn’t even unlucky goaltending.

Now me of all people, I don’t necessarily think because a goalie allowed 4 goals on 19 shots or allowed 4 goals on 2 expected means they had a bad game. Sometimes there’s luck involved and the goalie can’t really do anything on any of the goals.

But goal 2 tonight was a stoppable one and goal 4 was an absolutely brutal one.

And it was a close game. One non-empty net goal loss. It wasn’t like the two bad goals came in a 7-2 loss.

Goal 2 was the big Luke gaffe?

I think that's one where idk if I fully blame the goalie for it, but would really really like a big save there.

Goal 4 is just beyond inexcusable though. The only rope he has on that, and it's not much, is it never should have been a PK if not for Mercer taking a brain dead penalty.

Goal 4 just can't happen though. NHL goalies should be stopping that every time

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why would you bring in Markstrom and feed him to the failure of a goalie coach who has been here since we hired Ruff, Recchi and Taylor?

How did he even outlast Ruff? If goalie coaches actually got fired midseason (they don’t) you could completely justify firing Rogalski before Ruff.

But here we are, all new goalies, new head coach, same shitty goalie coach.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Why would you bring in Markstrom and feed him to the failure of a goalie coach who has been here since we hired Ruff, Recchi and Taylor?

How did he even outlast Ruff? If goalie coaches actually got fired midseason (they don’t) you could completely justify firing Rogalski before Ruff.

But here we are, all new goalies, new head coach, same shitty goalie coach.

We have to stop listening to Marty about everything on goaltending, the Allen move was obviously him and so was the Markstrom one. NHL instagram had a post like last year where they asked Marty his favorite goalies in the league and Markstrom was 4th, so you know he had pull into bringing him into NJ lol

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goal 2 was the big Luke gaffe?

I think that's one where idk if I fully blame the goalie for it, but would really really like a big save there.

Goal 4 is just beyond inexcusable though. The only rope he has on that, and it's not much, is it never should have been a PK if not for Mercer taking a brain dead penalty.

Goal 4 just can't happen though. NHL goalies should be stopping that every time
Goal 2 was at least a really good shot and it didn’t leak through him. I think you’d want that one to hit him.

I think that one would have been forgotten about had that fourth one never happened.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Mostly. I do think it's overrating it a bit and undervaluing the breakdowns that we did have but they dominated the puck the majority of the game.

The Luke goal was really the only WTF from the skaters. First goal was unlucky, third goal was a sick Larkin tip and then 4th goal LOL Markstrom

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
We have to stop listening to Marty about everything on goaltending, the Allen move was obviously him and so was the Markstrom one. NHL instagram had a post like last year where they asked Marty his favorite goalies in the league and Markstrom was 4th, so you know he had pull into bringing him into NJ lol

I'd like them to stop listening to Marty on anything hockey related. Please kick his ass back over to the business division and keep him away from hockey ops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad