GDT: Your New Jersey Devils (5-3-1) @ Detroit Red Wings (3-3-0), 7 PM, MSGSN

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
When they were sitting comfortably at the top of the standings cuz they had so many extra games played, it was "oh we're 5-2"

now it's "too early to look at standings, standings don't matter" I can't :laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I mean he's right? That's also a dig at Markstrom indirectly saying to get your shit together.

I'd like to see them take some of the losses a little more harshly. I don't necessarily disagree with what he said, but I wouldn't mind some fire. It seems to be something this team has lacked for a while.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah man that’s it. It’s the goalie…again…give it a go again next year, I bet this time it will be different.

You know, if you really believe these goalies have been the main problem all along, that means we have a GM who has failed to attain an NHL caliber goalie for like the umpteenth straight year. You’d think at some point the criticism would go towards him, again, if that’s what you truly believe about the goalie situation every f***ing year.

who is defending Fitz?

if they shit the bed again this year, mainly due to goaltending, Fitz will be gone. And Rightfully so.

kiwidevil

Mercer is spoonfed good minutes with our best players does nothing, but gets a pass for any criticism. That's aside of the penalty and zero shots today.
Can we trade Holtz for him straight up?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I actually do agree with the statement. The reasoning would likely be different. I remember saying the team thing last year. If this team is good then they should make the playoffs without needing to care about how anyone else is doing. If we're having to worry about the standings then something has gone wrong and they're not a good enough team.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'd like to see them take some of the losses a little more harshly. I don't necessarily disagree with what he said, but I wouldn't mind some fire. It seems to be something this team has lacked for a while.

I mean, he's consistently done it over the years. You can't just lay into a team nightly after losses, it loses its effect. You do it after games that needs to be done, similar to how coaches don't rip into players after every game but when they think the players will respond to it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Mercer is spoonfed good minutes with our best players does nothing, but gets a pass for any criticism. That's aside of the penalty and zero shots today.

I don't know if I would go that far, but I have definitely been on the "Mercer has been bad going back to the 2023 playoffs" train.

kiwidevil

I don't know if I would go that far, but I have definitely been on the "Mercer has been bad going back to the 2023 playoffs" train.
The Holtz bit is tongue in cheek, but I'd rather have an x-factor scoring threat if the minutes are going to be hollow.

Mercer is this "prototypical hockey player" of the past people love, which essentially boils down to someone who's average to below average at everything.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Mercer has at least upped his defensive effort in comparison to last year but yeah he ghosts way too often offensively and especially over the last couple of years. Looking like he'll never get that massive contract Jim so desperately is craving for.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
The GM should be fired if the Devils miss the playoffs this year, and it will likely be because of the goalies that they do miss. If you think Markstrom wasn't absolutely atrocious on goal #4, we have nothing to talk about. That is not even pro-level goaltending.
I didn’t think he was good today even though the skaters in front of him here good enough. So what? That’s one game.

The GM went out and got a guy that fit the criteria most of the goalie truthers here insisted was all we needed - NHL caliber average.

Ironically enough people like me were the ones warning you folks that if this team still plays like a bunch of f***ing children in their own end, that 34 year old with an inconsistent history is gonna get lit up. And that you people would be going right back to the well of “all we need is a real average goalie, this guy wasn’t it”. No actually, if this team played like big boys in front of the average goalie it would be just fine.

Every goalie that comes here becomes shit but there’s bo causal relationship there? GTFOH already. This shit is a friggin psychosis.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
also, I don't want to turn this into a Bastian-bash fest as I actually think he has been okay this year so far, but there is no need to have him kill penalties. He is too slow to do that. We have plenty enough forwards that can do that job that can actually move.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

He's arguably had one good month as a Devil and it was February 2023, I don't think anyone with legit rationale wouldn't move on from him if the Devils can get better somehow with him a trade package.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I didn’t think he was good today even though the skaters in front of him here good enough. So what? That’s one game.

The GM went out and got a guy that fit the criteria most of the goalie truthers here insisted was all we needed - NHL caliber average.

Ironically enough people like me were the ones warning you folks that if this team still plays like a bunch of f***ing children in their own end, that 34 year old with an inconsistent history is gonna get lit up. And that you people would be going right back to the well of “all we need is a real average goalie, this guy wasn’t it”. No actually, if this team played like big boys in front of the average goalie it would be just fine.

aside from the Prague game, Markstrom has been below average.

the team tonight played fine in front of the goalie. Detroit did nothing offensively, especially at 5 on 5.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Every goalie that comes here becomes shit but there’s bo causal relationship there? GTFOH already. This shit is a friggin psychosis.

lol okay a 34 year old goalie becoming shit has never happened before in the history of hockey. If Markstrom's cooked, then that's it, the Devils' defense can't do anything to bail him out. The Devils have played solid defense for most of the season. Markstrom is allowing far too many soft goals so far.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

You're right and wrong, Rogalski should've been fired with his results with previous goalies but Markstrom has been absolute dogshit outside of 2 games this year. He was traded for a first rounder, he wasn't expected to be an issue this year. The Kane goal tonight is something everyone would bitch and want Vanecek tarred and feathered if Vanecek let that up tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad