Value of: Your Extra Backup Goalie to Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Only makes sense if we are sending a bad contract back like Michalek's or Winnipeg retains a lot of salary.

Pretty slim pickings in the UFA pool, but this could certainly be the route they decide to take. Lindback, Enroth and Ramo could be possible targets.

There is a chance they'll trade for a young goalie, but they'd have to be exempt from the expansion draft.
I can't think of any good targets that meet this criteria.

Thats a good point which slipped my mind.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Thats a good point which slipped my mind.

Ya that situation is definately gonna come into play for all trades.. finding a goalie who's contract ends after this year and is good will be perfect. I'd like seeing TO find a guy that is capable of playing a heavy load if need be. I love Andersen but he's been used to a 1a/1b type mindframe situation in Anaheim so I'm going to be real curious to see how he is as a top guy... I actually wouldnt mind still seeing him be a 1a/1b type just for next year still but maybe increase his workload to a 65/35% ratio type thing.. give him alot of time off but still increase his work load more than previous years

I'm not expecting Toronto to be very high in the standings next season, so that's going to be a huge difference for Andersen. I think giving him games off next year while this team is building the kids games will be key

Go get a very capable veteran backup!!

Last edited:

OLUSAF

Sep 8, 2007
I agree that Pavelec makes sense as a target, the interesting thing is that his actual salary is $4,750,000 with a cap hit under 4 million.

Considering the leafs just dealt a goalie who has cheaper salary that was half paid for nothing I can't see how Winnipeg doesn't add or at least take back salary.

What would Toronto have to add for a Lupul for Pavelec + Stafford trade?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Enroth or just play Sparks. Might as well see what you have in Sparks before deciding if he'll be apart of the organization in the future. If you have no faith in Sparks ever becoming anything then bring in Enroth. Perfect back-up that can do be a starter if there's ever a short term injury to Andersen.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Enroth or just play Sparks. Might as well see what you have in Sparks before deciding if he'll be apart of the organization in the future. If you have no faith in Sparks ever becoming anything then bring in Enroth. Perfect back-up that can do be a starter if there's ever a short term injury to Andersen.

I'm just not sure if Sparks is ready yet; he seems to need some more seasoning in the AHL under a full starter's workload.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Josh Leivo for Condon?

Both guys have to clear waivers anyways, Habs have Lindgren/Fucale in the AHL so if they were risking a guy going down to waivers it'd be nice having a guy who could potentially add offence.

Condo is actually very solid when he plays backup minutes, put him 20-25 games and he'll do fine. Keep in mind the guy never played a full starters workload even in college or ECHL/AHL before the prior year.. clearly was way over his head and wasn't ready.

CdnFan

Apr 9, 2016
I like the Pavelec + pick option to take on his salary.

Hunter really seems to maximize value with the picks he's provided with.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Josh Leivo for Condon?

Both guys have to clear waivers anyways, Habs have Lindgren/Fucale in the AHL so if they were risking a guy going down to waivers it'd be nice having a guy who could potentially add offence.

Condo is actually very solid when he plays backup minutes, put him 20-25 games and he'll do fine. Keep in mind the guy never played a full starters workload even in college or ECHL/AHL before the prior year.. clearly was way over his head and wasn't ready.

meh, rather keep leivo. put up solid numbers as a 22 year old in the AHL. the habs think so lowly of him they went out and grabbed a replacement backup in UFA. if the leafs want condon, they can have him for free on waivers.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
How about Ben Bishop?

so after giving up significant assets for andersen, then signing him to a 5 year deal, the leafs give up more assets to grab bishop, and have an $11 million goaltending tandem and lose one of these guys anyways.

just no

Mad Brills*

Sign someone for 1.5 or less.

If not possible, trade for a cheap backup that won't be needed for protection next summer

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Sign Enroth to cheap 1 or 2 year deal. Who cares about expansion draft eligibility. He wont be taken and even if he is who cares.
Dont take on bad contracts like Pavs or Neimi. Dont trade assets with any value for guys like Condon.
Its a back up goalie, not something you give up term, money or assets for.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Hutchinson maybe?? Seems like he will be the odd man out with Hellebuyck and Pavelec there and Comrie being groomed in the minors...

I laugh out loud if Jets give another deal to Pavelec. I think it's one year and Hellebuyck, Hutchinson are Jets goalies.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
**** trading for a goalie, you TML fans down with Pavalec and Niemi are making me sick. Are you forgetting Niemi has 2 years left?

Just sign Enroth and get this season underway, why would we pay assets for a backup when he is probably better than anyone available at a realistic price and comes at the cost of just money? He was unhappy apparently only playing 16 games in LA, he'll get around 25-30 in Toronto, Babock doesn't like having his starters playing over 60 games. Andersen plays 55, Enroth plays 27.

NHL: Andersen + Enroth
AHL: Sparks + Bibeau
ECHL: Kaskisuo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad