Yakemchuk / Parekh / Silayev / Dickinson / Buium

Which D prospect?

• Total voters

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I watched Silayev last year in the KHL and MHL and came away confident that he'll be a fixture on a very good shutdown unit and score about 20 points a season in the NHL. There's no reason to expect more offense from him than you would, say, Lian Bichsel. He has no special offensive tools and thinks the game like a pure shutdown player.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
some draft/prospect rankers asked the same thing. both Demidov and Silayev were seen as to have a small chance at going 1st OV. Demidov for his skill and Silayev because he's an athletic freak who barely brushed the surface of what he's capable of.
But he dropped to 10th... Thats a far drop. No bias though right... I like the prospect but you're projecting him to be a 70 point 6'7 D man. Those simply dont drop that far. I think He can be a high end shut down d man that scores 20 to 30 points. Which is still worthy of a top 10 maybe even 5 pick but I think you maybe a little generous with the offensive output.

• Haha
Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
But he dropped to 10th... Thats a far drop. No bias though right... I like the prospect but you're projecting him to be a 70 point 6'7 D man. Those simply dont drop that far. I think He can be a high end shut down d man that scores 20 to 30 points. Which is still worthy of a top 10 maybe even 5 pick but I think you maybe a little generous with the offensive output.
Why are you replying to me? I think you were wanting to reply to strawman.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not much love for Parekh which I find surprising. Set a OHL record for the most goals by a 16 year old dman his first year in Major Junior and became only the 2nd D to score at least 30G in their draft season in his next. The OHL has had tons of great dmen come through it. That kind of offensive catalyst on the blueline is rare. Tons of forwards can go point per game, usually you can count the ones that do in a season for the NHL on one hand.

I do think he was the biggest swing on talent, but that's because the talent was worth swinging on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not much love for Parekh which I find surprising. Set a OHL record for the most goals by a 16 year old dman his first year in Major Junior and became only the 2nd D to score at least 30G in their draft season in his next. The OHL has had tons of great dmen come through it. That kind of offensive catalyst on the blueline is rare. Tons of forwards can go point per game, usually you can count the ones that do in a season for the NHL on one hand.

I do think he was the biggest swing on talent, but that's because the talent was worth swinging on.
Yakemchuk also scored 30.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Its actually a massive premium there really arent that many of them. Probably less than 50 legit top 4 RHD in the world. Its really wild when you start to take an in depth look at it.

I agree. If Buium were a RHD, he probably would've been selected higher, that's no knock on his talent or projection. But like I said, the Wild had a need for a good young LHD to play with Brock Faber on the 1st pairing for the next 8-10 years....Hopefully Buium is that guy.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And had what? 20+ less total points? And was seen as an inferior prospect almost unanimously pre draft?
I was just responding to the 30 goal part.
Wasn’t the inferior one by me.
I had the 5 in this poll
Yakemchuk then Buium as the first 2 in that order. Parekh wasn’t high on my list.
Here is what you said earlier.

But they are the exception. There are far more small statured players that have not been successful in the pros. Defensemen in particular.

Last edited:

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
I agree. If Buium were a RHD, he probably would've been selected higher, that's no knock on his talent or projection. But like I said, the Wild had a need for a good young LHD to play with Brock Faber on the 1st pairing for the next 8-10 years....Hopefully Buium is that guy.
I think he also has a difficult agent that threatens to have his players play out their college career to become UFAs, another reason he wasn't drafted higher.

That is not a concern in Minnesota, as it is the state of hockey, and American prospects love to play there.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
And had what? 20+ less total points? And was seen as an inferior prospect almost unanimously pre draft?
I really don't think you can claim that Yak was seen as unanimously inferior. Typically lists that had Parekh high in the top 6 D had Yak low and visa versa. Both were polarizing. Hell, all the D prospects were polarizing. The least polarizing one was probably Dickinson and even he was polarizing. Some think he's got no ceiling and will end up a #4, others thought he was the best in the class.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not sure how old you are but I heard almost the exact same things being said about Chara as are being said about Silayev here. He's got the frame to develop a booming shot which is what helped Chara's totals pass the vaunted 35 points of Parayko.

I’m old enough to remember people making the exact same Chara comparisons you are making about Boris Valabik and Jarred Tinordi.

Heck Parayko, Valabik and Tinordi all had “the frame to develop a booming shot” as did Hal Gill. They never had Chara’s shot.

What made Chara special is his generational work ethic. Betting on anyone having that kind of drive is a bad idea.

Reactions: coooldude

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I was just responding to the 30 goal part.
Wasn’t the inferior one by me.
I had the 5 in this poll
Yakemchuk then Buium as the first 2 in that order. Parekh wasn’t high on my list.
Here is what you said earlier.

But they are the exception. There are far more small statured players that have not been successful in the pros. Defensemen in particular.
Right. Lane Hutson is 5'10 162 lbs and 22 years old.
Zayne Parekh is 6'0 185lbs and 18 years old.
Zeve Buium is 6'0 186lbs and 18.

Parekh and Hutson, who I was speaking about, are not close to the same age or physical maturity.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Lol he obviously wasn't "unanimously" inferior as he was drafted before him.

Parekh had an impressive season, but there's no denying that his physical toolkit is massively lacking compared to Yakemchuk. Yakemchuk has NHL size, Parekh does not, and when you have two defenseman who had similar offensive production, stuff like that matters.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Lol he obviously wasn't "unanimously" inferior as he was drafted before him.

Parekh had an impressive season, but there's no denying that his physical toolkit is massively lacking compared to Yakemchuk. Yakemchuk has NHL size, Parekh does not, and when you have two defenseman who had similar offensive production, stuff like that matters.
They didn't have "similar offensive production."

A 25 point difference is not similar.

Skating matters when comparing prospects. Parekh is on a different level compared to Yakemchuk.

Playmaking matters when comparing prospects. This isn't even close.

Here are some consolidated rankings. Not close.

Another source.

You're wrong.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004

Skating matters when comparing prospects. Parekh is on a different level compared to Yakemchuk.

Parekh was on a great team, Memorial Cup champs, with lots of good players to work with. Yakemchuk was a one man show on one of the worst teams in the WHL, no good players to work with. That is part of the reason for the difference in points.

I not knocking Parekh here, he is a fine prospect that I like. Just explaining the point production difference.

I should also note the production difference in NHL preseason vs NHL and AHL players: 0 points vs 5 points. 1 guy not close to ready, the other looking great. Part of that is 1 guy is 6'4 207, vs a little guy that needs to get a lot stronger.

Last edited:

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
I’m old enough to remember people making the exact same Chara comparisons you are making about Boris Valabik and Jarred Tinordi.

Heck Parayko, Valabik and Tinordi all had “the frame to develop a booming shot” as did Hal Gill. They never had Chara’s shot.

What made Chara special is his generational work ethic. Betting on anyone having that kind of drive is a bad idea.

Not old enough to know the definition of ceiling apparently. Done with this.
Like most of the people in this thread yapping at me.

ceil·ing
[ˈsēliNG]

When talking about the ceiling of a player, a scout is referring to the absolute best, most optimistic outlook.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

ceil·ing
[ˈsēliNG]

When talking about the ceiling of a player, a scout is referring to the absolute best, most optimistic outlook.
Thanks for the lecture, and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Reactions: Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

ceil·ing
[ˈsēliNG]

Ceiling still has to be based on potential. Potential is based in part on demonstrated abilities. Silyaev hasn’t shown the abilities you’re hoping for. Saying Chara did it isn’t realistic as he’s an extremely rare outlier.

If you’re dissociating actually demonstrated abilities and banking entirely on rosy he could do it arguments, what stops other fans from saying Parekh is going to be Coffey, or Buium is going to be Bourque, or Yakemchuk will be Weber, or Dickinson will be Robinson?

Reactions: coooldude

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Parekh was on a great team, Memorial Cup champs, with lots of good players to work with. Yakemchuk was a one man show on one of the worst teams in the WHL, no good players to work with. That is part of the reason for the difference in points.

I not knocking Parekh here, he is a fine prospect that I like. Just explaining the point production difference.

I should also note the production difference in NHL preseason vs NHL and AHL players: 0 points vs 5 points. 1 guy not close to ready, the other looking great. Part of that is 1 guy is 6'4 207, vs a little guy that needs to get a lot stronger.
Parekh was on a great team where he led the team in points - with the second leading scorer 21 points behind him. Your point is terrible.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why are you replying to me? I think you were wanting to reply to strawman.
Because we were responding to one another. Oh im sorry you yet again cant be realistic about anything New Jersey Devills related. You are right Silayev is a guaranteed 70 point 6'7 d man and the rest of the teams infront of them are dumb.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I don't know who will end up the best of the bunch but I will say this - Parekh is as boom/bust a player as you'll find. I personally like top-end D to be more two-way players or have size. I think with the way he plays the game it will be tough to convert him to a solid defensive player. That said - people forget EK was a good defensive player pre-injury because he was literally all over the ice.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Because we were responding to one another. Oh im sorry you yet again cant be realistic about anything New Jersey Devills related. You are right Silayev is a guaranteed 70 point 6'7 d man and the rest of the teams infront of them are dumb.
again your are replying to me instead of Strawman. You really need to double check what you are doing before you post.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Here are some consolidated rankings. Not close.

Another source.

You're wrong.
Parekh isnt even a great skater, doesnt engage physically in his own zone small frame short stride. Yes amazing offensive instincts. But so does Yakemchuk, the puck follows him around the ice. Yakemchuk simply has more upside, he is an all situations D man. Great edgework and a powerful stride. He's still growing into his body big guys take longer to get quicker and stronger. A very basic concept that anyone that actually follows prospects and understands development.

A 6'3 D man who leads the WHL in goals by a D who plays physical and you are acting like he was a big reach. Now he is playing against men as a teenager and still making plays, scoring goals amazing reads. Frankly this is just embarrassing. Your argument is consensus rankings where he was ranked 4 picks back?.... Have you looked at past drafts?.....

25 point difference when its all assists when you compare two players playing on a bottom feeder vs the literal mem cup winner.

Take a breather.

again your are replying to me instead of Strawman. You really need to double check what you are doing before you post.
You must have your burner account confused with this one.

• Haha
Reactions: Xirik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad