2024 Training Camp Thread

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don’t think he is their second best defensemen. He is not a good defender and he is an an inconsistent offensive player. He brings no toughness and has nothing to add for power plays or penalty kills.

If you can move Provorov to the right side:

Werenski - Provorov
Harris - Jiricek
Mateychuk//Christiensen - Gudbranson
JMFJ

Werenski and Jiricek in the power plays.

Werenski-Provorov
Harris-Gudbranson

on the penalty kills.
Nobody wants to get Severson. He is right.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Dropping Severson would put us in a dire need to make a move to become cap complaint, not that it's remotely a realistic option

Harris and Christiansen both have to be on the roster for us to be cap complaint which imo means one of Mateychuk or Jiricek needs to be in the AHL.

I think it's obvious if Waddell is true to his word about the best players playing the Jiricek will be in the AHL and that JJ will be the healthy scratch.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The guy to waive if we want to keep Jiricek up and not lose anyone is Severson. I doubt it will happen.
I don’t think he is their second best defensemen. He is not a good defender and he is an an inconsistent offensive player. He brings no toughness and has nothing to add for power plays or penalty kills.

If you can move Provorov to the right side:

Werenski - Provorov
Harris - Jiricek
kills.

This is ridiculous. Severson might not be the 2nd best defenseman, but, he’s no worse than 3rd, or maybe 4th depending on how you value and look at Gudbranson and Christiansen. You want to “dump” Severson and roll with that “top 4”? 3 of those guys are worse than Severson. Jiricek in another year or 2 will be a better option. Harris?

Who definitely ISN’T the teams 2nd best defenseman, is Provorov.

IMO Severson is better than Provorov at EVERY aspect you just named off. He’s better defensively/on the PK and (arguably) better offensively and on the PP. And he plays with more of an edge or with more toughness than Provorov also. The only thing Provorov is better at is skating.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I also don't think getting a temporary waiver to remain below the salary cap is free license to drop that cap it any lower.

It doesn’t. Nobody would claim him. You are only burying a small part of his cap in the minors. The guy replacing him offsets that.

This is ridiculous. Severson might not be the 2nd best defenseman, but, he’s no worse than 3rd, or maybe 4th depending on how you value and look at Gudbranson and Christiansen. You want to “dump” Severson and roll with that “top 4”? 3 of those guys are worse than Severson. Jiricek in another year or 2 will be a better option. Harris?

Who definitely ISN’T the teams 2nd best defenseman, is Provorov.

IMO Severson is better than Provorov at EVERY aspect you just named off. He’s better defensively/on the PK and (arguably) better offensively and on the PP. And he plays with more of an edge or with more toughness than Provorov also. The only thing Provorov is better at is skating.

I am explaining how you can keep Jiricek up and not lose anyone to waivers. I am not saying this is what the Jackets should do. It is my fault for doing a thought exercise in a place where thinking is scarce.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
It doesn’t. Nobody would claim him. You are only burying a small part of his cap in the minors. The guy replacing him offsets that.

I am explaining how you can keep Jiricek up and not lose anyone to waivers. I am not saying this is what the Jackets should do. It is my fault for doing a thought exercise in a place where thinking is scarce.

You are also setting a terrible precedent for future free agents who we'd be interested in signing. It would be a disaster to waive a dude who you just signed to a 8 year deal after he put up nearly the exact same numbers with us as he did with his prior team. It's just terrible business. He'd have every reason to complain and other players would listen

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
:cbjand injuries... 👀

bf8d03a606a7d36915e0da3a014b7967.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
i know people want to avoid it because two young players together isn't ideal, but tbh i think the best way to arrange the pairs is to just put mateychuk and jiricek together. their games compliment each other quite well and their best performance of the preseason came when they were playing together.

against a much stronger blues lineup the other night, they were above 70% CF (72.22 for jiricek, 82.05 for mateychuk) at 5v5.

not saying it'll stay that way the whole season, but it's absolutely worth a trial run.

Mateychuk has been pretty much that good every game. :laugh:

75% xG (best on the club) and 5-0 in goals (best on the club). No goals against all pre-season.

I agree it would be good for Jiricek. But also good for any of our D to play with Mateychuk.

The guy to waive if we want to keep Jiricek up and not lose anyone is Severson. I doubt it will happen.

Severson looked like a solid #3 in the second half last year.

Anyways the bad veteran guy you'd waive to keep your younger players would be JJ. Just about everyone on the Jackets has good goal outcomes in pre-season. Most are positive. JJ has been outscored 10-2, by a country mile the worst on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad