Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
LOL nice trade protection.

Kind of insane they turned kupari and firsts into Kuemper. Also insane they escaped the contract.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Welcome back to LA Kuemper! Glad to have you over PLD!

USATSI_10574179.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
People laughed at the Dylan Strome acquisition as well and he seems to be doing more than fine.

Honestly the dude seems to be in love with himself so being known as the one who helped Ovechkin break Gretzky's record might actually motivate him.

There is no doubt in my mind that Dubois needs motivation. He's not entirely innocent but there are usage/management issues connected to his journey all the way from when he asked out of Columbus.

When he is on and playing with talent, he is very good. So why did the Kings trade good assets and sign him to $8.5M but then play him 3C spreading out their talent? Makes no sense. He's not the type to lead a line by himself.

I remember when the Kings first traded for him. I was wondering about the possibility of them moving him to wing to play as a power forward winger type. Totally surprised they played a $8.5M center at 3C. Some will say he started higher and was moved down when he didn't play well. OK, as a coach, do you think that will get him motivated?

$8.5M and you play him 15 min's a game? Come on man.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Washington being half-pregnent with whether or not they should rebuild makes this kind of an okay move? Either it works out and the get a top 6 centre for a goalie they didn't want, helping them maybe make the playoffs. Or, it doesn't work out and they suck, making the bad cap hit not super relevant.

7 years is longer than you'd want, but I think this is not as awful as people are making it out to be.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I mean he was an almost 30 goal scorer, 60 point center. Is 8.5 really that off for that sort of player in today's NHL? Maybe a little high but not absurdly so imo.
He's the 17/18th highest paid center in the league who needs to be carried by better players.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
woah mama

I actually don't hate this for the Caps as much as I should. It's still not good but they've lost Kuznetsov and Backstrom down the middle. PLD isn't much of a solution but he should at the very least be better than he was in LA.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
LA trades a 7 year $8.5m commitment to a lazy mental patient for a 3 year commitment at $5.2m for a warm body in goal when they had nothing on the roster to work with as a playoff hopeful.

Thats the way I'm reading it.

Blake ain't off the hook, but he pulled a major addition by subtraction maneuver.

Find another goalie to platoon 1a/b with, knock a year off the 3, and buy him out of 2 years (of necessary) is an astronomical leap from the PLD downward spiral that had the likely potential to grenade that locker room for the next decade+ factoring in any kids they groom in the 5-8 years down the road range.

This is a business move. It's actually pretty simple. Shouldn't have come to it in the first place, and sure is ugly as a bag of broken hammers, but the pro's outweigh the neg's easily.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Big risk for Washington, dont they play a defense first style similar to the Kings, not sure how well Dubois will do there.
Also how does Blake still have a job after this debacle.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
So why did the Kings trade good assets and sign him to $8.5M but then play him 3C spreading out their talent? Makes no sense. He's not the type to lead a line by himself.

$8.5M and you play him 15 min's a game? Come on man.
he played on every line and guess what? he sucked EVERYWHERE. the 15 mins a game he got at the end of the season was 15 minutes too many

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Not going to defend pld because he has sucked but why does it matter to wash? At all? 8.5 mill during the dark times. At least the old goalie that’s lost it is gone. Carlson, ovi, oshie coming off the books shortly. The cap hit is a nothing thing. Be interesting to see if I can hate this guy more then mantha tho.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
woah mama

I actually don't hate this for the Caps as much as I should. It's still not good but they've lost Kuznetsov and Backstrom down the middle. PLD isn't much of a solution but he should at the very least be better than he was in LA.

He will be better than what he was on LA because he's going to play 20 min's a game instead of 15.

Why is there not much talk about how the Kings managed usage with him? They traded for a center when their center depth was good, signed him to $8.5M but then played him 15 min a game in a 3C role. Just weird. And no, don't try to say he deserved it. That's not how you manage someone you just gave a 8x $8.5M contract and has a history of fading when he don't play with talent.

Not trying to defend Dubois the full amount. He deserves some heat yes. But man, this popular bandwagon hate party towards Dubois was out of control when it was also mixed in with ignorance. Not much thought process into the context

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
LA trades a 7 year $8.5m commitment to a lazy mental patient for a 3 year commitment at $5.2m for a warm body in goal when they had nothing on the roster to work with as a playoff hopeful.

Thats the way I'm reading it.

Blake ain't off the hook, but he pulled a major addition by subtraction maneuver.

Find another goalie to platoon 1a/b with, knock a year off the 3, and buy him out of 2 years (of necessary) is an astronomical leap from the PLD downward spiral that had the likely potential to grenade that locker room for the next decade+ factoring in any kids they groom in the 5-8 years down the road range.

This is a business move. It's actually pretty simple. Shouldn't have come to it in the first place, and sure is ugly as a bag of broken hammers, but the pro's outweigh the neg's easily.
Jake Allen might make some sense now. I imagine NJ is very open to moving him now with Markstrom in the fold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad