Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Blake did say he wasn't going buy him out, so he kept his word. Or was that a half truth?
Blake last month: "We need to make him better. He's had a consistent performance over his career so far and deviated from that this year. It's up to us to help him become more productive to us."

Blake today:
401fc8e8-e0b1-43ba-a375-adafbfbc0d12_text.gif

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
pld just has to be better than whomever was passing to ovi, caps made playoffs with presumable worse centre than pld.

Reactions: Voight

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I don't understand how some are calling this is a bad trade for Washington. Dubois didn't lose his talent in LA, its painfully obvious how he was miscast as a third liner with limited linemates.

For the Caps they are getting their 26 year old 1st line C for a cap dump.
He played on a line with Fiala
He played on a line with Byfield
Hell, he played on a line with Kopitar and Kempe

He was awful on all of them. He had to eventually have his minutes reduced and put with lesser players because he didn't produce and worse of all gave little effort. He was so bad they didn't have a choice anymore, they have to shuffle him down the line-up. He played with lesser limited linemates, because he was a lesser limited player

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Lets see if he is a better fit with Washington. He didnt fit in at LAK, but that doesnt mean he wont in Washington.

A large part of his reduced production is based on less PP time where he only had 8 points in LAK vs 23 and 19 in Winnipeg. Caps have space and a need for him on the PP. Also he played 3 minutes less pr game in LAK vs his time in WInnipeg. So production wise he should get better numbers. His overall game is the question. He probably isnt and 8,5 mill player even with increased production, but Caps got rid of Kuemper for the next three years and PLD's contract wont be that much worse in some years as long as the cap increases his % of the cap will get lower.

If he fits in better with the Caps it could be a very good deal for them as he clearly needed a change of scenery. Still Caps are taking the bigger risk with a long contract, but also have the potential for the best reward.

Reactions: CDN24

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
PLD outscored Iafallo by a paltry 13 points this year, with Iafallo at half the salary and none of the PP time.

The PLD hate is very well justified. He is atrocious.
Thats not what i said, nowhere did i say he wasnt very bad this season. Well done :clap: Old fashioned HFboards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobnobs

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow- the gms around the league are showing the OILERS and PANTHERS zero respect… shows their true colors
Playing hockey in June is stupid. Game 7 should have been at the end of May at the latest. NHL is the only hockey league who likes playing deep into the summer, all other leagues ended games a long, long time ago.

Liiga, for example, had the last game of the finals on April 28.

Yeah, not playing a winter sport in the summer. A shocking concept!

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's obviously a gamble on PLD's talent which is there, saying otherwise is just acting stupid. Caps need a center who can do something offensively, they are not contenders, they've been pretty bad and old for a while now and they'd had one of the worst goalies in the entire league on a terrible contract until now. Now they are either going to make Dubois play up to his potential or have another problematic diva that is going to cause chaos behind the scenes. That's a 50/50 which is much better than a sure as death and taxes trashcan in net like Kuemper.

Based on past there’s no way you can say it’s 50/50

He’s demanded a trade multiple times, shown no intrest in playing to his potential, getting to a team of his choice and still being garbage& them just being willing to dump his contract for another bad contract

But now going to a team on not choice that’s past it’s prime PLD is going to show up?

My money would be on PLD being on pretty bad moor right now. Having a 7y deal with Was..

Last edited:
Reactions: Hobnobs

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Based on past there’s no way you can say it’s 50/50

He’s demanded a trade multiple times, shown no intrest in playing to his potential, getting to a team of his choice and still being garbage& them just being willing to dump his contract for another bad contract

But now going to a team on not choice that’s past it’s prime PLD is going to show up?

My money would be on PLD being on pretty bad moor right now. Having a 7y deal with Was..

Caps fans are in coping mode

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Caps need a Center and LA needs a goalie. It makes sense and if either guy can return to form, the GM who traded for them will look like a genius.

I bet PLD starting as a 1C in Washington would net him 65-70 points. He’s a better player than Keumper who was the worst goalie to win a cup in like 20 years. We will see. Hope they both have success

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Caps fans are in coping mode

Well I went to read and very much so seems like it

Caps need a Center and LA needs a goalie. It makes sense and if either guy can return to form, the GM who traded for them will look like a genius.

I bet PLD starting as a 1C in Washington would net him 65-70 points. He’s a better player than Keumper who was the worst goalie to win a cup in like 20 years. We will see. Hope they both have success

Are we just going to ignore the baggage that PLD brings with him?

He’s a problem player, on a very expensive contract

Everyone is cheering LA for getting out of the contract. Buy watch PLD bounce back next year and actually earn his contract. I wouldn't write him off after 1 bad year.

Who’s writing him off based in 1 bad year?

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Well I went to read and very much so seems like it

Are we just going to ignore the baggage that PLD brings with him?

He’s a problem player, on a very expensive contract
He had a bad season but most of the hate is from that contract. Darnell Nurse syndrome - a player with a way overpaid contract who gets underestimated by a lot because of a garbage contract.

If PLD made 5-6m, nobody would pile on him like they do. I think there’s a chance he could possibly live up to that deal, albeit small. Washington is pretty dépleated with no top line centres and on the verge of rebuilding anyways so it doesn’t hurt them much. Beats having a 5m backup. At least this bad contract can fill a position of need

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Dubois puts up pt/game like he did with Connor but this time with Ovi, all this noise goes away.

Good luck with PLD- Ovy 1st line

He had a bad season but most of the hate is from that contract. Darnell Nurse syndrome - a player with a way overpaid contract who gets underestimated by a lot because of a garbage contract.

If PLD made 5-6m, nobody would pile on him like they do. I think there’s a chance he could possibly live up to that deal, albeit small. Washington is pretty dépleated with no top line centres and on the verge of rebuilding anyways so it doesn’t hurt them much. Beats having a 5m backup. At least this bad contract can fill a position of need

People have a bigger problem with his attitude than his contract.

He’s on his 4th team already and team of his dream was just willing to dump him to get him out of the town

He’s nothing like Nurse, people have problems with Nurses on ice product in relation to his contract

PLD is among the last players in the league you want to have in leadership role once you are rebuilding

Reactions: Viqsi

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
What!? HF posters love me!

img_0621-png.804532
The second I saw that corny butterfly tattoos I knew he had to go.

As a Kings fan it’s truly amazing what a lazy piece of trash the guy is. I can’t imagine getting paid that much and not doing anything. I’ve never seen a man so gutless. I hope he finds himself in the AHL soon. Dude went tops 10 percent. The only time I saw him not float was when he was rushing to get off the ice for an early line change.

What a loser truly

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Good luck with PLD- Ovy 1st line

People have a bigger problem with his attitude than his contract.

He’s on his 4th team already and team of his dream was just willing to dump him to get him out of the town

He’s nothing like Nurse, people have problems with Nurses on ice product in relation to his contract

PLD is among the last players in the league you want to have in leadership role once you are
Have the smallest hope that a young guy can turn it around but realistically he isn’t going to change that much. But if he continues his ways, don’t think it really matters. If the caps are headed into the rebuild years his contract is irrelevant and if he’s an ass like people say I doubt management is going to use him as a role model. Only player he can hurt is himself at this point. This might be his last stop in the league. Whether it’s riding the pine or box or 1st line for the next 7 years is on him.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Have the smallest hope that a young guy can turn it around but realistically he isn’t going to change that much. But if he continues his ways, don’t think it really matters. If the caps are headed into the rebuild years his contract is irrelevant and if he’s an ass like people say I doubt management is going to use him as a role model. Only player he can hurt is himself at this point. This might be his last stop in the league. Whether it’s riding the pine or box or 1st line for the next 7 years is on him.
My friend if the Kings dumped him for nothing after spending all that to get him then that should tell you something about why they dumped him so quickly. He has zero passion and is likely a big problem in the locker room

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
My friend if the Kings dumped him for nothing after spending all that to get him then that should tell you something about why they dumped him so quickly. He has zero passion and is likely a big problem in the locker room
I fully expect him to suck. But just don’t think it matters for where the team is. Kings are thru their rebuild and on the up and up. Having that contract limits them. For the caps it really doesn’t matter for the next 4-6 years and even then they may only just be coming out of a rebuild, maybe. So whether pld wants to just coast and collect his money or give a shit and collect his money, not sure it matters. Basically boom or bust and likely a bust but it ain’t hurting anything

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Playing hockey in June is stupid. Game 7 should have been at the end of May at the latest. NHL is the only hockey league who likes playing deep into the summer, all other leagues ended games a long, long time ago.

The AHL is still in its final series right now. Game 4 is tonight and the series won’t end tonight. The earliest it could end is Saturday. It could go as long as Game 7 next Wednesday.

Reactions: Hivemind

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So you're saying he's entitled to 1st line minutes, whether he earns them or not. Got it.

There have been lots of players who seem like they should be great, but just don't have it. And there have always been teams willing to take the chance. Yes, LA was stupid to give him that contract, but seeing as they were contenders it would've been worse to keep him on the 1st line.

Whatever the reason, PLD hasn't lived up to expectations. Deal with that.

Yes, he is because his contract says he is. Kings signed the deal so why play him 3C at that cap hit rate? Makes on sense. With the Caps, why trade for it if you don't have plans to play him 1C.

Excuses made for Dubois? Sure, that's a fair but there is context in this situation that fans are ignoring. Usage/management are factors.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Still open if Florida wins in 6. If it goes 7, they lose that chance. Not likely the reason to do this anyway, but...
Barely, He has to be bought out before he turns 26 which is on the 24th. I think that means he has to be bought out on the 23rd (24th too late). Buyout window opens 48 hours after cup is awarded. Game 6 is at 8 Pm, assuming no overtime cup is awarded at 11 Pm. on the 21st. add 48 hrs and you are at 11 pm on the 23rd. Have an hour left to do it, is the league office even open to register it?

Would have been interesting if they tried to buy him out at 1/3 then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad