Confirmed Trade: [WSH/LAK] Pierre-Luc Dubois for Darcy Kuemper (no salary retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Dubois was a point/game player with Connor on the Jets. Why can't he be that again with Ovi?

I don't think there is any "obvious" narrative we can predict on this. What I do know today is the internet hate bandwagon towards Dubois was shocked today. Imagine
Do you think that was because of Connor or Dubois? They played him on every line on the Kings.
Kings will be paying a backup goaltender 5.5 million for 3 more years… I’m eagerly bookmarking this thread.

There’s a good chance neither team wins this, I sincerely doubt a scenario where a 34 year old goalie who has lost his stuff emerges as worth 5.5 million in the next three years.

But yes, Caps fleeced or whatever for paying 3 million more for a guy a decade younger who plays every night.
No Kings fan thinks Kuemper is some kind of savior. But 3yrs/5mil is much better than 7yrs/8.5mil in this case. Kuemper has also played with the Kings before.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I think you're severely underestimating just how unbelievably cancerous PLD can be.

Remember how the Jackets had that four-year run with Tortorella? Remember how it ended?
I’m not suggesting this player doesn’t have baggage. But we traded an awful goalie, with an awful contract.

LA cannot be suggesting Darcy Kuemper will be their number one?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
He was pretty visibly frustrated with Sprong, but Sprong has since spoken very highly of him and his mentorship.

He was also pretty tough on Samsonov, but that was clearly after numerous attempts of being nice failed.
I felt both of those situation were moreso in a big brother kind of way. I'm sure him & Sammy still get along, they were part of the same Russian social circle for like 5 years. (+ their significant others)

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Why would the Caps do this?
Pretty thin cupboard of prospect talent, aging veteran roster, no #1C in either pool of assets... gambling on PLD figuring it out with them makes sense.

The possibility of helping Ovie keep chasing the goal record probably helped sell ownership on the $ cost.

Doubt it works out well for them on the ice...looks to be a long painful rebuild as the wheels fully come off.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Wow, I never thought a team would let LA off the hook like that. Great work by LA here. Washington is trying to hold on, but it's a fools errand.

Reactions: Block

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The Caps have had a notoriously strong locker room for over a decade now. It's not just going away even once Ovechkin retires... it's still a gamble, but it's not like the guy killed somebody.
We had a similarly rock-solid group with Foligno and Atkinson and Savard and Dubinsky and Jenner, with Jones and Werenski coming along. It didn't matter.

I really am wishing it works out for y'all, if only for the potential to piss off the Pens as they also fade. But we've seen this movie over here and we know how it's ended every time so far.

Reactions: Hobnobs

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
This trade is win/win because it leverages the different circumstances of both teams.

For the Capitals, this is more like signing Dubois to a 3 year 3.25M AAV contract. That is because their window to compete is closing. Ovechkin will only play a few more years. They don't have a deep prospect pool or players in the pipeline to keep things going after their core declines or retires. They will have to embark on a 5+ year rebuild. So if Dubois stinks for them, it will be irrelevant that he is signed long term at 8.5M.

Kuemper was a sunk cost at 5.25M for the next 3 years. So they effectively spent 3.25M to add Dubois to the final few seasons that they will have Ovechkin for. That's a worthy gamble to take. They were one of the few teams in the league who was in a position not to worry about the term of the Dubois contract.

The Kings on the flipside have a deep prospect pool and many good young players. They are just scratching the surface of what they can do. The term of the Dubois contract was going to be an albatross for them. Getting out of most of the contract is a huge positive.

There aren't many teams who could make this trade and not worry about the back half of the contract, but Washington was one of them.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Laughable how people here suddenly act that Iafallo and Kupari are world class players.

I am here regularly but they were labeled mid round pick and bust before this trade happened. People hate PLD this much, I guess.

Vilardi was the player that should never have been dealt.

Reactions: Little Psycho

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
For the Capitals, this is more like signing Dubois to a 3 year 3.25M AAV contract. That is because their window to compete is closing. Ovechkin will only play a few more years. They don't have a deep prospect pool or players in the pipeline to keep things going after their core declines or retires. They will have to embark on a 5+ year rebuild. So if Dubois stinks for them, it will be irrelevant that he is signed long term at 8.5M.
I agree with this overall, but I do think they have prospects with the potential to carry on as the next core. The problem is they're both wingers

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Pretty thin cupboard of prospect talent, aging veteran roster, no #1C in either pool of assets... gambling on PLD figuring it out with them makes sense.

The possibility of helping Ovie keep chasing the goal record probably helped sell ownership on the $ cost.

Doubt it works out well for them on the ice...looks to be a long painful rebuild as the wheels fully come off.

Washington has a solid prospect pool. Hendrix Lapierre has high ceiling. 1C may be pushing it. Getting younger, Ryan Leonard in the wings. Caps are in a pretty good spot as Backstrom LTIR for last rear of his deal.

This makes Washington better.

Darcy Kuemper was the worst player on the Caps

Reactions: Miller Time

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's not irrelevant because of the crippling effect PLD can have on team morale and prospect development. If we were talking about most guys who are actual professionals, your assessment would be more than fair. PLD has not been like most guys.

We were done with him over here after The Shift, and if anything he's gotten worse in his maturity since rather than better.

Reactions: Omni Owl

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
The fact Washington didn't get any other assets back for taking that albatross contract on is a fail. Absolute robbery from LA here. Washington is clearly already done competing and PLD wont change that for the duration of his contract. This was a cap dump and Washington got nothing back except a smaller cap dump. Nothing but a straight L here.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
It's not irrelevant because of the crippling effect PLD can have on team morale and prospect development. If we were talking about most guys who are actual professionals, your assessment would be more than fair. PLD has not been like most guys.
Crippling is just so harsh. Just because he didn't work out for you guys doesn't mean he completely cratered your franchise. Like I said, the Caps have a great locker room with foundations that vary in age range. One player is not going to tear that all down.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Can an LA Kings fan tell me the organization’s plan for Kuemper? Honest question.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Crippling is just so harsh. Just because he didn't work out for you guys doesn't mean he completely cratered your franchise. Like I said, the Caps have a great locker room with foundations that vary in age range. One player is not going to tear that all down.
I feel like Ripley talking to Vasquez during the briefing. "I hope you're right. I really do."

Reactions: Osprey and Carlzner

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He has been boo'd in all of Columbus, Winnipeg and Montreal. LA fans atleast on this board hate him so I expect some boos for him in LA. So 4.
Was wondering if you were including Montreal after I posted.
I personally don't care enough about the guy to boo him but the boos are certainly deserved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad