Confirmed with Link: WPG acquiring Nino Niederreiter from NASH for a 24 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Nino has been great for us. i dubbed him as a bootleg-Meier, not just because he's Swiss but b/c he can consistently generate chances, score, and additionally provide much needed physicality and bite that this team lacks.

he has helped carry that third line to some real good offense, and better overall in net-offense. those who followed stats or his career probably saw this coming as nino has been generally a very strong shot/chance share player on a variety of teams or roles.

nino w/ lowry (using Lowry as a placeholder player since he's usually the mainstay on the third line): great shot/chance share metrics (60%+ in both shot attempts and quality), 8 GF 2GA in like 80 mins together. 3rd line has way better efficiency in scoring, and generating chances, as well as helping keep the puck out of our net (makes sense.... more offense = less time spent defending).

I wasn't as hyped to see nino with Lowry when he was first acquired, however his addition to that third line really has boosted their overall play.

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I really found the timing of this move interesting.

Poile does a favor just before saying peace out?
I think he did Trotz a favour. Nashville still has $68 in salary invested in next year's team. The Ekholm trade brought back Nashville a legitimate top 4 d-man and a 1st. Trading Granlund, Jeannot and Nieddreiter took out some salary, and increased the draft currency, which gives Trotz some room to manoeuvre the roster the way he sees fit. Realistically all of those players are top 9 players, but none are gamebreakers, so the return is probably worthwhile. Trotz only has to sign Cody Glass in the offseason, and then can make moves as he sees fit.

I would say Poile has left the Predators with a pretty good defense intact, a starting goalie who is among the better ones in the NHL, a top goalie prospect, a star winger in Forsberg to build around and a lot of draft picks to build with. He did not leave the organization in shambles as some lesser GMs have done. Glass and Tomasino look like they can play in the NHL at a high level. Johansen is the one player I think would have been traded if he weren't injured. That will be one of Trotz first moves I suspect.

I do think that there will be an internal budget in the Predators organization for Trotz to work with, and moving a salary like Niedrreiter lends room for improvement on that investment.

For the Jets I think they have found a 3rd line player who can increase the offensive output, and provide legitimate top 6 depth for next year. After running through the likes of Appleton, Eyssimont, Gagner and others through injury replacement that's a big deal.

A veteran going to the playoffs is something I think the Jets needed.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
As a fellow countryman of his, he has always been one of my fav players. I always wanted to get his number and name on a jersey. :) however I'd never wear a non-Jets NHL jersey. Therefore my gift for christmas has already been chosen.

Ready to unleash his power in the playoffs now. Can't wait!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nino has been great for us. i dubbed him as a bootleg-Meier, not just because he's Swiss but b/c he can consistently generate chances, score, and additionally provide much needed physicality and bite that this team lacks.

he has helped carry that third line to some real good offense, and better overall in net-offense. those who followed stats or his career probably saw this coming as nino has been generally a very strong shot/chance share player on a variety of teams or roles.

nino w/ lowry (using Lowry as a placeholder player since he's usually the mainstay on the third line): great shot/chance share metrics (60%+ in both shot attempts and quality), 8 GF 2GA in like 80 mins together. 3rd line has way better efficiency in scoring, and generating chances, as well as helping keep the puck out of our net (makes sense.... more offense = less time spent defending).

I wasn't as hyped to see nino with Lowry when he was first acquired, however his addition to that third line really has boosted their overall play.

Yea I agree. I always thought of Nino and visualized how he could help In our top 6. It ends up he is custom made for optimizing Lowry, Nino is such a good low post player and he he gets to the front of the net to create trouble and get greasy goals. With Lowry you are not really going to get many if any pretty goals and I aways thought Copp was the best fit for him based on what they could do to shut other elite lines down in their prime. I think Nino kind of does the impossible and helps Adam become more dangerous in the offensive zone. Nino is also a big body and consistently physically aggressive (in your face).

If we can continue having a 3rd line that can impact the game that is a nice piece of the puzzle. We really haven’t had that since Lowry, Copp, Tanev.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think he did Trotz a favour. Nashville still has $68 in salary invested in next year's team. The Ekholm trade brought back Nashville a legitimate top 4 d-man and a 1st. Trading Granlund, Jeannot and Nieddreiter took out some salary, and increased the draft currency, which gives Trotz some room to manoeuvre the roster the way he sees fit. Realistically all of those players are top 9 players, but none are gamebreakers, so the return is probably worthwhile. Trotz only has to sign Cody Glass in the offseason, and then can make moves as he sees fit.

I would say Poile has left the Predators with a pretty good defense intact, a starting goalie who is among the better ones in the NHL, a top goalie prospect, a star winger in Forsberg to build around and a lot of draft picks to build with. He did not leave the organization in shambles as some lesser GMs have done. Glass and Tomasino look like they can play in the NHL at a high level. Johansen is the one player I think would have been traded if he weren't injured. That will be one of Trotz first moves I suspect.

I do think that there will be an internal budget in the Predators organization for Trotz to work with, and moving a salary like Niedrreiter lends room for improvement on that investment.

For the Jets I think they have found a 3rd line player who can increase the offensive output, and provide legitimate top 6 depth for next year. After running through the likes of Appleton, Eyssimont, Gagner and others through injury replacement that's a big deal.

A veteran going to the playoffs is something I think the Jets needed.

Tomasino benefited from all the late season injuries and sell off. He was a nice pick at #24 in 2019.

Reactions: voyageur

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Yea I agree. I always thought of Nino and visualized how he could help In our top 6. It ends up he is custom made for optimizing Lowry, Nino is such a good low post player and he he gets to the front of the net to create trouble and get greasy goals. With Lowry you are not really going to get many if any pretty goals and I aways thought Copp was the best fit for him based on what they could do to shut other elite lines down in their prime. I think Nino kind of does the impossible and helps Adam become more dangerous in the offensive zone. Nino is also a big body and consistently physically aggressive (in your face).

If we can continue having a 3rd line that can impact the game that is a nice piece of the puzzle. We really haven’t had that since Lowry, Copp, Tanev.
Really agree with this. It’s a small sample, just 82 mins, but so far Lowry and Nino are running at 4.39 xGF/60. That’s really good offensive output. For comparison, Ehlers is at 3.41 xGF/60 and he’s our best producer of 5v5 offence.

Having a goal a game or so from the 3rd line makes a huuuuge difference.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Really agree with this. It’s a small sample, just 82 mins, but so far Lowry and Nino are running at 4.39 xGF/60. That’s really good offensive output. For comparison, Ehlers is at 3.41 xGF/60 and he’s our best producer of 5v5 offence.

Having a goal a game or so from the 3rd line makes a huuuuge difference.

yeah we'll see if that maintains. i've been of the opinion you wont get far in the POs w/o scoring from 1 or 2 of your bottom-6 lines. just being big and physical isn't enough. so hopefully their scoring efficiency doesn't drop off to much.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
yeah we'll see if that maintains. i've been of the opinion you wont get far in the POs w/o scoring from 1 or 2 of your bottom-6 lines. just being big and physical isn't enough. so hopefully their scoring efficiency doesn't drop off to much.

It would be a massive plus to spread the load over 3 lines. By that I don’t mean scoring only I mean impact. Having a 3rd line that can eat tough match ups and win them at times would be huge. I have really liked what I have seen so far (small sample size allergy)

None

Feb 22, 2012
That's the rest of the tournament I assume ? What a crazy play, dude musta lost his mind for a second.

Yep, rest of tournament assuming Canada makes the semi-finals and finals (gold or bronze games). Otherwise he'll have 1-2 games tolled for the next IIHF sanctioned tournament he gets invited to.
It should've been long enough that he'd sit out an entire group stage at another tournament in my opinion. It would've made it difficult to justify giving a suspended player a roster spot for half a tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad