Would Hyman be Toronto's Best Playoff Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not that Hyman needs much defending in this thread. His play and success since Oilers signed him to what has turned out to be a discount contract. 70 goals this year for only 5.5M he has effectively become Robin to McDraisaitl’s Batman. Hyman was making 2.25 per on Toronto. To compare him or expect him to produce on the level of Matthews, Marner, Tavares or Nylander should is complete folly. The mistake here was Leafs Mgt not valuing a player that was improving and with so many positives he brings to a team as to let him go for nothing when he all but wanted to beg to stay a Leaf if he was given a fair offer. He has proven to be a clutch playoff player. Something the Leafs lack and you would think would value. He may join Kadri and Bozak in players that played a key role that the Leafs had no use for in winning a cup.

Talonted

Dec 9, 2010
I was hoping he'd at least tie the playoff record in goals, but he slowed down in the Finals. Wanted to rub it in some Leafs fan's faces.
Lordy we are spoiled making posts like this but I’m not denying I hoped for the same lol

Reactions: Natey

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Hyman could never be the type of player he now, in Toronto. He's a perfect fit for McDavid and the oilers, our 2 C's are both shoot first guys. Very happy for him and the success hes having, really hope they win it all would be an epic story.

Reactions: francis246

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Their management really misidentified him as potentially being a core piece & misidentified his contract value as an overpayment rather than a bargain.

He wouldn't be as productive as he's been with McDavid, but still enough to make that contract more than worthwhile. Don't think he'd be more of a difference maker than Nylander was in 2023 but he'd be one of their better/most consistent playoff guys for sure, he's impressively strong on the puck.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
No, but he would make Toronto's star players better.

No he wouldn’t, we had him and he didn’t do shit. He couldn’t finish a play. Between his first and second year in EDM he definitely changed the way he trains and approaches the game, not sure that would have happened in Toronto

No, but he would make Toronto's star players better.

No he wouldn’t, we had him and he didn’t do shit. He couldn’t finish a play. Between his first and second year in EDM he definitely changed the way he trains and approaches the game, not sure that would have happened in Toronto

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Not that Hyman needs much defending in this thread. His play and success since Oilers signed him to what has turned out to be a discount contract. 70 goals this year for only 5.5M he has effectively become Robin to McDraisaitl’s Batman. Hyman was making 2.25 per on Toronto. To compare him or expect him to produce on the level of Matthews, Marner, Tavares or Nylander should is complete folly. The mistake here was Leafs Mgt not valuing a player that was improving and with so many positives he brings to a team as to let him go for nothing when he all but wanted to beg to stay a Leaf if he was given a fair offer. He has proven to be a clutch playoff player. Something the Leafs lack and you would think would value. He may join Kadri and Bozak in players that played a key role that the Leafs had no use for in winning a cup.

I think you need to be realistic about the situation. In hindsight it was a total miss on leafs management. But Hyman was coming off two back to back major injuries. His second major knee injury in many years, never having more than 50 regular season points and having 1 goal in each of the 5 last playoff series. He was also 29. I completely understand why the leafs felt that the contract 1. May have been an overpay and 2. Thought the contract would age horribly given his injury history.

Hindsight they got it wrong, but it wasn’t like there wasn’t evidence that signing Hyman to that money could have been bad.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He plays the right way. But I feel like the Leafs culture wasn't right for him. Fans, for example, didn't like the way he played there, even though he still was playing that hard-nosed grinder style.

It's a culture that rewards being fancy vs a culture that rewards hard work. Perhaps he feels more at peace with the Oilers.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I have to think at this point the leafs are just cursed and there's no combination that could make things work here. no doubt Hyman would be great in Toronto, already was. he would hit nice numbers too, I dunno if he would score as much as he has but you never know. but come playoff time. I think everything would stay the same, its not hard at this point to imagine Hyman would have been the best performer.

at the time I didnt mind losing Hyman. it was what it was with the cap and Im still not upset he's gone he really did deserve to get paid.
Leafs made a big mistake on that one. most of us look foolish now with the comments I bet.

anyways I'm putting all petty arguments aside with Oilers fans. 1 more game boys bring the cup home to Canada

ijuka

May 14, 2016
But maybe they should have had Hyman as the designated shooter. Wasn't he playing with Matthews? That seems like a role mishmash.

Hyman never was considered the shooter. He always was that "third wheel", the hardworking effort guy on the line while the other two took care of production. Maybe Leafs should have tried using him as the designated scorer instead?

Does a guy just fluke his way into 70 goals in a season? I find that so hard to believe. And no, "McDavid" is not the answer to every question. You can watch them play, and Hyman does things too, all the time.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think you need to be realistic about the situation. In hindsight it was a total miss on leafs management. But Hyman was coming off two back to back major injuries. His second major knee injury in many years, never having more than 50 regular season points and having 1 goal in each of the 5 last playoff series. He was also 29. I completely understand why the leafs felt that the contract 1. May have been an overpay and 2. Thought the contract would age horribly given his injury history.

Hindsight they got it wrong, but it wasn’t like there wasn’t evidence that signing Hyman to that money could have been bad.
Pretty much exactly it

He plays the right way. But I feel like the Leafs culture wasn't right for him. Fans, for example, didn't like the way he played there, even though he still was playing that hard-nosed grinder style.

It's a culture that rewards being fancy vs a culture that rewards hard work. Perhaps he feels more at peace with the Oilers.
nah we loved Hyman.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Wait.

The final is Florida and Edmonton.
Florida is one loss away from the biggest choke job in NHL history.

And people are more concerned about how Hyman would have played. In Toronto? Because what 4 years ago?

He literally was drafted by the panthers. Refused to play for them. And somehow the story is about Toronto.

Isn’t the story whether Hyman stayed in Florida would they have won the cup?

It’s hilarious and pathetic. Why does it matter? This is insane

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
I was hoping he'd at least tie the playoff record in goals, but he slowed down in the Finals. Wanted to rub it in some Leafs fan's faces.
Leafs fans had nothing to do with it. We liked the guy and many of us would have given him the reported $4-5M he was asking. I don't expect he would be putting up these same numbers in Toronto, though.

You can call up Dubas in Pittsburgh if you want to gloat to somebody.

• Haha
Reactions: Natey

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
But maybe they should have had Hyman as the designated shooter. Wasn't he playing with Matthews? That seems like a role mishmash.

Hyman never was considered the shooter. He always was that "third wheel", the hardworking effort guy on the line while the other two took care of production. Maybe Leafs should have tried using him as the designated scorer instead?

Does a guy just fluke his way into 70 goals in a season? I find that so hard to believe. And no, "McDavid" is not the answer to every question. You can watch them play, and Hyman does things too, all the time.

Hyman's game in EDM hasn't even changed that much from Toronto. The one thing EDM has done way better than Toronto was make Hyman a huge presence of the PP. Toronto did not use him effectively on the PP as a net front guy.

Are you seriously asking me why Toronto didn't make Hyman the primary shooter on a line that had a 2 time Maurice Rocket Richard winner LOL?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hyman's game in EDM hasn't even changed that much from Toronto. The one thing EDM has done way better than Toronto was make Hyman a huge presence of the PP. Toronto did not use him effectively on the PP as a net front guy.

Are you seriously asking me why Toronto didn't make Hyman the primary shooter on a line that had a 2 time Maurice Rocket Richard winner LOL?
McDavid himself won the rocket last season and Hyman is the primary shooter on his line.

If he couldn't be a designated shooter with Matthews, maybe he shouldn't have been playing with Matthews? They have Nylander and Marner who are primarily playmakers. Do I need to spell this out for you?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Wait.

The final is Florida and Edmonton.
Florida is one loss away from the biggest choke job in NHL history.

And people are more concerned about how Hyman would have played. In Toronto? Because what 4 years ago?

He literally was drafted by the panthers. Refused to play for them. And somehow the story is about Toronto.

Isn’t the story whether Hyman stayed in Florida would they have won the cup?

It’s hilarious and pathetic. Why does it matter? This is insane

Ya, there are times I think some Toronto fans are too sensitive, like you can’t discuss the team at all as an outsider. Then there are threads like this, which help explain those overly sensitive fans.

Reactions: zoA

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
McDavid himself won the rocket last season and Hyman is the primary shooter on his line.

If he couldn't be a designated shooter with Matthews, maybe he shouldn't have been playing with Matthews? They have Nylander and Marner who are primarily playmakers. Do I need to spell this out for you?

Hyman isn’t a shooter, Hyman taps pucks in lol. And gets a lot of deflections. It’s hard to make that kind of a scorer the primary guy. It’s not like Hyman is consistently breaking down the wing and firing them in. That’s why it was hard to project his current success. I definitely agree that he shouldn’t have been playing with Matthews. I would have liked to see Hyman - Tavares - Marner lines more during his time in Toronto.

However Toronto didn’t play a style that was conducive to Hyman’s success. We don’t score a lot of deflection goals and we don’t have a clap bump from the point.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marchment - Kadri - Nylander

What could have been for you leafs fans.

Easily the most mismanaged team in the NHL.

If we were to assume that the best players get paid the most, this coming season the Big 4 would be considered 4 of the top 15 players in the league. they only have 1. Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad