World Cup Boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
More than anything else, we should be complaining about the NHL not allowing its players to compete in proper IIHF tourneys(worlds, olympics[lately, so far so good]), if they do that, and on top of that throw together some exhibition tournament, i have no problem. Them not lending their players to international events(or even having the power to do that) is what i find unacceptable.

Part of the universal appeal of soccer is in its international tourneys, which are always atended by the very best(olympics are a bit weird, but still), the ice hockey is taken seriously by way fewer countries, so we should try extra hard to make it more international. If a country can watch their best players to compete only by staying up till morning hours(if the game is on at all) or once in 4 years if lucky, it's not doing much for spreading the appeal.

I totally agree about this. But when the reality is what it is, IIHF could be part of the solution, why do they not play the tournament little bit later (or at the beginning of the season like WC) and maybe every second year instead. This world cup thing could IIHF have stand for.

One big serious tournament every second year would be ok.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
As of right now the NHL allows its players to participate in the Olympics, and hopefully that continues. The NHL also allows its available players to participate in the IIHF World Championship. There is no issue there yet. Daly's suggestion that the World Cup could replace the Olympics is a bad sign though.

They do not take a break for the WHC or any other international games execpt for maybe the olympics.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They do not take a break for the WHC or any other international games execpt for maybe the olympics.

Why should the nhl take a break mid playoffs for the world championships? As seems to be the case with most complaints why should a business shut down its doors for 2 weeks olympics and 3-4 weeks for the world championships?

The fact that the nhl has done it for the olympics the past 4 events is a blessing already.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Yes, I know. Considering that the NHL is a business and that the IIHF did nothing to try to incorporate the NHL into its tournament for the first half century plus of the tournament's existence, that really isn't surprising.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not that anything is being organized by any means, but any other fans like me just not going to watch because of the stupid North America/Europe idea?

I won't be watching because their Olympic participation is still in the wind.

If this is meant to supplant that if successful, well, I would rather not be part of that.

As for the 2 odd teams

well I like it better then a 6 team tourney

I have look pretty hard into this

and "those other countries" just won't have the players available to fill out rosters

they will already be tied up in the KHL/SEL and the likes.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
For me personally, hard not to be interested, at least initially, when looking at the quality of players in this tournament. Obviously it can't be called a true international tourney at this point with the 2 gimmicky teams. But if the intensity and motivation is there for even the NA and Europe teams, then this could be an awesome tournament. But as of now I just don't see it. Will those teams step up and play for the team in those big moments and make sacrifices like jumping in front of a hard slap shot to prevent a goal...easy to be motivated for your country or your nhl team in chasing the Stanley cup dream, but here not sure how it'll be the same.

With team Europe I suppose they could try to look at it as they are still playing for their country, just coming together with enemies to defeat other common enemies in winning that elusive international competition against the best in the world.

Team N A...not sure the young guns vs old guys angle will be enough motivation

I guess we'll see

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
For me personally, hard not to be interested, at least initially, when looking at the quality of players in this tournament. Obviously it can't be called a true international tourney at this point with the 2 gimmicky teams. But if the intensity and motivation is there for even the NA and Europe teams, then this could be an awesome tournament. But as of now I just don't see it. Will those teams step up and play for the team in those big moments and make sacrifices like jumping in front of a hard slap shot to prevent a goal...easy to be motivated for your country or your nhl team in chasing the Stanley cup dream, but here not sure how it'll be the same.

With team Europe I suppose they could try to look at it as they are still playing for their country, just coming together with enemies to defeat other common enemies in winning that elusive international competition against the best in the world.

Team N A...not sure the young guns vs old guys angle will be enough motivation

I guess we'll see

How could the young guns not be motivated? 90% of the players on that team would be passed up for a team canada or a team USA if they were available for there respective teams. If those young guns defeat one of the true canada or usa teams then that looks really good on a resume.

Same goes for team europe. Lots of thise players will be getting there 1st true taste of international best on best hockey. That right there should be motivation enough.

People are worried about the tournament being just a glorified all star game can just look back at the 2006 world cup and see these players will give there all. Atleast this time it sounds like they are going to be having exibition games before the tournament to get the players into game shape before the tournament starts.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
How could the young guns not be motivated? 90% of the players on that team would be passed up for a team canada or a team USA if they were available for there respective teams. If those young guns defeat one of the true canada or usa teams then that looks really good on a resume.

Same goes for team europe. Lots of thise players will be getting there 1st true taste of international best on best hockey. That right there should be motivation enough.

People are worried about the tournament being just a glorified all star game can just look back at the 2004 world cup and see these players will give there all. Atleast this time it sounds like they are going to be having exibition games before the tournament to get the players into game shape before the tournament starts.

Fixed. To be fair though, that was the only hockey those players would get to play since the NHL was in lockout for 2004-2005.

And the '96 World Cup (especially the final) also produced some fantastic hockey.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto

People are worried about the tournament being just a glorified all star game can just look back at the 2006 world cup and see these players will give there all. Atleast this time it sounds like they are going to be having exibition games before the tournament to get the players into game shape before the tournament starts.

I'm not denying there being some motivation, just comparing it to playing for your country or the Stanley cup - the passion, emotion etc. you see there is on a different level. So for those 2 teams if what you're suggesting is enough motivation then I guess we'll see one hell of a tournament, but I'm still of the wait and see approach.

Not sure which 2006 tournament you are referring to? but as far as I know this is the first time in hockey we're trying something like this. I don't believe we've ever had a hybrid team built of nations with no particular correlation or Under 23 team made up of Canadians and Americans.

Edit: Based on ZoneEntry67's comments, it appears you are comparing the 2004 world cup to this tournament which I'm not sure makes much sense. I would agree if the 2 other teams in this tournament were actual countries then it would instantly have the same level of international and nationalistic pride that past Canada cup/World Cup tournaments have had. But this is the first time you're seeing something like this, so all I'm saying is will that level of pride/emotion be the same? I'm not sure. We'll see.

Last edited:

eyetest is useless

Oct 25, 2014
I won't be "boycotting", it's more that I really don't care enough to stay up and pay money to watch. This happens in September right? If so...

- European hockey leagues have started
- Football leagues are in full flight
- the NFL has started
- Baseball playoff races

Just too much other sport going on to care for this tournament. Though I'm somewhat interested in how Europe and U23 do

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I won't be "boycotting", it's more that I really don't care enough to stay up and pay money to watch. This happens in September right? If so...

- European hockey leagues have started
- Football leagues are in full flight
- the NFL has started
- Baseball playoff races

Just too much other sport going on to care for this tournament. Though I'm somewhat interested in how Europe and U23 do

Good point. Unfortunately that is why the World Cup will likely be largely ignored by the American media and average sports fan, and especially considering it's being played in Toronto only. September is not a good time to hold this.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Being a fan of underdog World cup team, its hard to ignore it as this competition is important for czech team. Still it will be broadcasted in terrible time. Not sure it worth it. Just a few people watched live CZ CAN match in 2004....

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The argument that this is just a exhibition sounds kinda weak to me. Maybe some think differently but if I was a member of these teams I would be damn proud for winning this tournament. It would most certainly be a bigger honor and achievement than winning the World Championships no doubt, even the Olympics. To me what makes a tournament the best is the level of competition not something else and this is where the World Cup is better than any other tournament in the history of the sport.

Also as a fan of a participating country I would relish a Finland victory, which I do not believe will happen, far more that any of the Olympic bronzes, silvers or Worlds medals. I was freaking gasping for air in the elimination games at the last World Cup in 2004. Even if we pretend that Finland would not participate in the tournament if the WC would consist of say only 4 national teams and team Europe and North America, as a fan of hockey in general I would be pretty damn pleased of the level of hockey I was witnessing.

Why do people think that this is not an international tournament, because it is organized by the NHL? Why should anyone really give a damn who organised it, I know I dont. Did you also think that the Canada Cup and all previous World Cups were a second class tournaments?

I think that once the games start people will realize how damn cool the whole thing is and watch the games, I know I will:)

Because team North America

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I'm not denying there being some motivation, just comparing it to playing for your country or the Stanley cup - the passion, emotion etc. you see there is on a different level. So for those 2 teams if what you're suggesting is enough motivation then I guess we'll see one hell of a tournament, but I'm still of the wait and see approach.

Not sure which 2006 tournament you are referring to? but as far as I know this is the first time in hockey we're trying something like this. I don't believe we've ever had a hybrid team built of nations with no particular correlation or Under 23 team made up of Canadians and Americans.

Edit: Based on ZoneEntry67's comments, it appears you are comparing the 2004 world cup to this tournament which I'm not sure makes much sense. I would agree if the 2 other teams in this tournament were actual countries then it would instantly have the same level of international and nationalistic pride that past Canada cup/World Cup tournaments have had. But this is the first time you're seeing something like this, so all I'm saying is will that level of pride/emotion be the same? I'm not sure. We'll see.

Yep I wanted 14 years to be disappointed by the return for this tournament. As a USA hockey fan the World Cup obviously has a special place for me but the NHL ruined it.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Why should the nhl take a break mid playoffs for the world championships? As seems to be the case with most complaints why should a business shut down its doors for 2 weeks olympics and 3-4 weeks for the world championships?

The fact that the nhl has done it for the olympics the past 4 events is a blessing already.

Pretty much every league in every sport outside NA do it a couple of times every year, and do you call Barcelona a amateur club in football?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Pretty much every league in every sport outside NA do it a couple of times every year, and do you call Barcelona a amateur club in football?

Isn't professional soccer basically just one big bubble under fifa?

It is easy to organize those types of tournaments/stoppages when the head of your federation tells you to stop.

The iihf/ioc has nothing to do with the nhl. Nothing, nadda, zilch.

If the nhl right now just said no more world championships, no more olympics, no more iihf organized tournaments/events there would be nothing the current contracted players/iihf could do about it.

If a player tried to play in the tournaments while still under contract with the nhl, that player would be sued so quickly and badly that it wouldn't be worth it.

And i will repeat as i said earlier why should a billion dollar company shut its doors for 2-4 weeks and allow there million dollar investments to go play in games in which said company receives no return from the transaction?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Not that anything is being organized by any means, but any other fans like me just not going to watch because of the stupid North America/Europe idea?

Even without considering the omission of an established and recently successful country like Slovakia (4th in Vancouver, had a rough Sochi)...

Switzerland, Germany, and Denmark are also noticeably absent, as they are producing NHL level talent like never before. I distinctly remember Germany, Belarus, Switzerland and other countries giving the Top-3/4 fits and or upsets from time to time.

I will not boycott but I am disappointed. It really cheapens the event and does nothing to grow the game. I would not trade this for NHL players at this Olympics.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Isn't professional soccer basically just one big bubble under fifa?

It is easy to organize those types of tournaments/stoppages when the head of your federation tells you to stop.

The iihf/ioc has nothing to do with the nhl. Nothing, nadda, zilch.

If the nhl right now just said no more world championships, no more olympics, no more iihf organized tournaments/events there would be nothing the current contracted players/iihf could do about it.

If a player tried to play in the tournaments while still under contract with the nhl, that player would be sued so quickly and badly that it wouldn't be worth it.

And i will repeat as i said earlier why should a billion dollar company shut its doors for 2-4 weeks and allow there million dollar investments to go play in games in which said company receives no return from the transaction?

The NHL can not do this. They are contractually obligated to allow players (not in NHL playoffs) to play in the world championships.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
The NHL can not do this. They are contractually obligated to allow players (not in NHL playoffs) to play in the world championships.
Not to mention that a contract that tries to dictate what players do in their free time... wouldn't it be just plain illegal?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Not to mention that a contract that tries to dictate what players do in their free time... wouldn't it be just plain illegal?

Most North American sports contracts have clauses like this that prohibit things like motorcycle riding or skiing. Jeff Kent a baseball player injured himself riding a motorcycle and tried to lie about. Eventually voiding payment while injured.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I'd be more likely to watch this is they at least went full ridiculous.

Team British Empire: Canada and USA.

Team Central Powers Grossdeutchland: Germany Czechs Slovaks Austria Switzerland Slovenia aka kopitaristan.

Team Swedish empire: Sweden Latvia Denmark Norway

Team Russian empire: Russia Kazakhs Belarus Finland.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Most North American sports contracts have clauses like this that prohibit things like motorcycle riding or skiing. Jeff Kent a baseball player injured himself riding a motorcycle and tried to lie about. Eventually voiding payment while injured.
I follow. In this case, however, the activity would be the same as what they do for a living. Sure, it might still be possible, but it does sound a bit nonsensical. Especially when presented to a judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad