World Cup Boycott

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Not all players playing in the World Cup need to play in the NHL. The Czechs have a couple of KHLers and so will Russia.
Having a couple of courtesy players doesn't really account for much. It's painfully obvious that one of the reasons - perhaps the primary one - for the gimmick teams is that Slovakia and Switzerland would have to take half their players from Europe.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Having a couple of courtesy players doesn't really account for much. It's painfully obvious that one of the reasons - perhaps the primary one - for the gimmick teams is that Slovakia and Switzerland would have to take half their players from Europe.
who cares what the reasons are? (not like any of us knows for sure) why can't we enjoy something different for once?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
who cares what the reasons are? (not like any of us knows for sure) why can't we enjoy something different for once?

You can enjoy it all that you want. In this instance though, the what makes this event different is also precisely what makes it bad. The success of this event, as has been implied directly by the NHL, could lead to another event that many happen to enjoy being essentially ruined.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I'd be more likely to watch this is they at least went full ridiculous.

Team British Empire: Canada and USA.

Team Central Powers Grossdeutchland: Germany Czechs Slovaks Austria Switzerland Slovenia aka kopitaristan.

Team Swedish empire: Sweden Latvia Denmark Norway

Team Russian empire: Russia Kazakhs Belarus Finland.

This is genius. I wanted to propose Team Holy Roman Empire: Germany, Austria, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Switzerland, but your suggestion is even better.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
This is genius. I wanted to propose Team Holy Roman Empire: Germany, Austria, Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia, and Switzerland, but your suggestion is even better.

Holy Roman Empire might be a better name for it since Switzerland was never part of any German/Austrian Empire.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Problem: It should be "Kalmar Union" not "Swedish empire" as it never included Denmark. For most of the history Finland is tied to Sweden (was only part of Russia for 100 years 1809-1917).
So Kalmar Union flag for Team Denmark, Finland, Norway & Sweden:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...n.svg/2000px-Flag_of_the_Kalmar_Union.svg.png

Latvia could also be placed under "Grossdeutchland" or Russia, than team Kalmar Union.

You also miss the "true Team France" with Quebec and a lot more of North America to make it more interesting in matches with Team British Empire!
Source: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...-en.svg/2000px-Nouvelle-France_map-en.svg.png

The idea is less silly than the current leftover "Team Europe".
This could instead be an Imperial/Royal tournament as secretly Republicans miss royalty deep inside :sarcasm:

Sorry my Scandinavian historical geography knowledge basically consists of Sweden losing at Poltava.

Kalmar Union looks great. Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden

Russian Empire team gets Latvia

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
it's a great hockey tournament still, why can't we enjoy it as it is :dunno:

What if this year was your (or mine) last year in life and it was your last chance to see best players in the world? Would you still complain about the tournament or would you enjoy it? People percieve things like it's given....we should be thankful that we even get to watch such great games.

We can see something different, exciting.

I waited 12 years for this tournament to come back. As a US fan it means the most to us.

The NHL perverted it and disfigured it. It's like a long lost love coming back fat, ugly and mentally disabled.

If it was my last year on earth I certainly wouldn't waste it watching hockey on TV regardless.

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
This is a NHL-Product and i am not sure how biased the refs are? All in North America want a final CAN vs USA and the refs give them atvantage in tight games?
This is my assumption!

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Not that anything is being organized by any means, but any other fans like me just not going to watch because of the stupid North America/Europe idea?

I won't really follow it but will tune in if it works. The additional teams ruin the entire thing for me. No country can possibly assemble their best team and therefore it's not a real "world cup" type tournament. It's a cash grab.

Also, whoever wins will be with an asterisk for me.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This is a NHL-Product and i am not sure how biased the refs are? All in North America want a final CAN vs USA and the refs give them atvantage in tight games?
One thing people should be concerned about is that three-parter final... after all, three games played means more ticket revenue than two. So whoever wins the first leg might find it increasingly difficult to win the second.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This is my assumption!

Worked so well 12 years ago with the canada vs sweden final.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
It's all about perspective and expectations. I fully expect the NHL to screw up in the schedule and structure of tournaments, and for international hockey in general to not be on the same page. Making most or all international competitions watered down or having little relevance whatsoever.
And I don't see that changing any time soon.

Disappointing, yes. But once you accept this mindset/reality, then you can just enjoy the play of the tourneys that do take place. And this one is at the very least intriguing.

Life isn't fair and we don't always get what we want. Complaining about it at best a mediocre way to get out frustrations, and it won't change anything. Boycotting will only have an effect if it's on a huge scale and I just don't see that happening.

Embrace the pain, get past it and enjoy what should be an interesting tournament.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
That is even worse nobody cares about the finns at any level. They are like the forgotten child when it comes to the hockey world.
So you'd prefer there be even less significant hockey countries than there is now? It's the first time I hear someone thinking like that.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I'll watch every game and bet on every game. I guess that is what vcash is for? Maybe I should do some searching unless someone cares to explain it.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
This is my assumption!
I'm not sure either. In 2004 SF game between Finland and the USA, the US was up 1-0 in the third period, Finland scored tying goal just seconds after a situation Finland should have been penalized for (in my opinion it was clear tripping on a US player). Still you think there is a bias? I would think that a biased ref would jump on that call that even Robert Esche could see from the other end.

look at time 2:25 that's it

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
I'm not sure either. In 2004 SF game between Finland and the USA, the US was up 1-0 in the third period, Finland scored tying goal just seconds after a situation Finland should have been penalized for (in my opinion it was clear tripping on a US player). Still you think there is a bias? I would think that a biased ref would jump on that call that even Robert Esche could see from the other end.

look at time 2:25 that's it

Yes okay! But till 2004 in NA thought Finland is a Amateur Team. Since 2004 they now Finland is competitive. Now 2016 the NHL-Orgenisation don t unterestimate the Finns and the refs are in tension.

For NA is a Final maybe Sweden vs Finland or Russia vs Finland a Nightmare.I am sure the refs helping CAN and US a little bit in K.O. Stage ;). This is not an official Tournament an therefore not a scandal.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I don't get why best on best is so important. That will never be possible in an international tournament, that's what the NHL is for. Even the FIFA World Cup had Australia compete that was ranked 62nd and lost every game. They are clearly not good enough to be at the World Cup but no one was complaining that the best teams were not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad