Blue Jays Discussion: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!! (avatars: posts 1-4)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
bet there are more people skipping work today than yesterday. I heard the entire city was drinking

police were drunk, mayor was drunk, alcoholics were roaring drunk. Old ladies, everybody.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Don't get angry guys, just laugh. It was only just last year during their playoff run that Yost was pleading the public to come out to games. How quickly people forget.

Yea, I mean what's hilarious is that Jays moved to the SkyDome 27 years ago. In 26 out of 27 years they had higher per game attendance than the Royals, despite having a similar futility record for the past 20 years. Even last year, when the Royals made the WS and the Jays sputtered, Rogers centre averaged 5K MORE fans per game than KC's cavern.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So you are arguing that Choo doesn't actually have a hitting routine, but he's instead spent his 11 years in the majors attempting to draw that specific play, which managed to finally come to fruition in the 7th inning of a tied winner-take-all playoff game?

In that case, give the man the run. That is the long play of the friggin century.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::handclap:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
HOF no, but his name should be put in the ring of honor after yesterday. Hell, retire his jersey too. That moment is going to live forever, despite it not being as big as Carter's walk off or Alomar's HR in the ALCS.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
and the KC trolls have been unleashed

rJbBg1H.png

http://nesn.com/2014/08/royals-manager-ned-yost-hammers-kansas-city-fans-for-poor-attendance/

Alex Gordon continued his unlikely MVP candidacy with a two-run walkoff home run to give the Royals the win and helped them get even closer to their first playoff bid in almost 30 years.

However, only 13,847 fans watched the Royals beat the Minnesota Twins. That lack of support was enough to have Royals manager Ned Yost calling out the fans on what should have been a nice night for the franchise. “I mean, what, 13,000 people got to see a great game?” Yost sarcastically quipped, according to The Kansas City Star.

Yost was far from done.

“We’re in a pennant race, yeah,” he added. “We’ve been working on trying to build this team for the last three or four years to put ourselves in a position where we can contend for a championship. And not only the division, but we want to contend for a world championship. It’s really, really important we have our fans behind us at the stadium.”

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
okay. thanks. like i said - it's just something I keep reading about (even here), so i just figured/thought, if we don't 'small ball" (I'm not sure if i am using this in the right context, so I'm sorry again), or manufacture runs, like say Kansas, that could potentially put us in trouble.

so if we rarely play for the single, what does that mean? like. I know we led (or was near the top) in doubles generated, so it's basically in this case - it "looks" like one thing, but really, no, we just really it the ballhard?

sorry, I didn't mean the dig. something just happened and i felt all wounded puppy, and then the two comments, and i was extra wounded puppy, so I snapped a bit. that wasn't v. nice of me and it wasn't fair of me to take it on you.

it does make a lot of sense what you said :) so thanks for that.

No problem at all!

I think that point of view makes sense when it's coming from someone who's a hockey fan first (and it's awesome that you clearly want to learn, so kudos to you - it makes conversations a lot more fun).

In hockey, like in most sports, offense and defense overlap, so it often makes sense to alter your offensive strategy to counter what the opposition offense is trying to do. But in baseball, the two are clearly divided, so what one team is trying to do to score runs shouldn't impact how the other team tries to score... if that makes sense. If the Jays hit three home runs, the Royals should continue to do what works best for them. If they suddenly go up swinging for the fences, they'll probably just fly out a lot because, in general, they're not a power hitting team.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Lots of satisfaction seeing Cole Hamels sent home last night.

He did, after all, reject a trade to Toronto earlier in the season.

For me, he was the "villain" of the series and it was nice to see the Jays stick it to him last night. Even nicer to see his defense let him down, while the Jays D was amazing all night long (the Martin miscue notwithstanding).

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I know it's kind of a late stat since it rung true when the Cards were knocked out, but the Jays are the most recent WS winning team left in the postseason.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
1zqy2gy.jpg

Clearly Choo was crowding the catcher ... left foot outside the box. left arm and bat ... outside the plane of the batters box.

Clearly interfered with the play with his bat.

Considering how many times a catcher has to throw back to the mound ... the burden of responsibility is for the batter to appropriately get out of the way. Choo failed to do that ... so he interfered. He should have received a warning for interfering with the play with his bat.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Lots of satisfaction seeing Cole Hamels sent home last night.
He pitched great.
I think the Rangers mistake was taking him out because the fielders can't catch or throw.
(I'm glad he was taken out).
After taking him out ... 2 batters later 6-3.

qohk6a.jpg

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
He pitched great.
I think the Rangers mistake was taking him out because he fielders can't catch or throw.

Why do people keep thinking Hamels staying in makes a difference?

He was at like 110 pitches. He goes any longer and odds are the Jays make him pay anyways.

Also enough with the damn conspiracies. They won, is that not enough?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
1zqy2gy.jpg

Clearly Choo was crowding the catcher ... left foot outside the box. left arm and bat ... outside the plane of the batters box.

Clearly interfered with the play with his bat.

Considering how many times a catcher has to throw back to the mound ... the burden of responsibility is for the batter to appropriately get out of the way. Choo failed to do that ... so he interfered. He should have received a warning for interfering with the play with his bat.

You're literally the only person I've read or talked to today who hasn't admitted they got the call right.

Pretty much everything in that graphic is wrong.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Anybody think that rule is something major league baseball might take a look at this winter?

I would guess that most people - players included - assumed that contact like that on a throw from the catcher to the pitcher, even if accidental, meant it was a dead play and the play is frozen.

Now that it's been "exposed" - so to say - you can easily see players trying to take advantage of that kind of rule by doing their "routines" a little closer to the catcher with runners on base. If you give them an inch, will they try and take a mile?

As we've seen from the arguments in this thread, it's pretty difficult to determine intent.

Could be an instance where MLB decides to take no chances and will make that a dead ball going forward.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
He pitched great.
I think the Rangers mistake was taking him out because the fielders can't catch or throw.
After taking him out ... 2 batters later 6-3.

I didn't make a comment about how he pitched.

Nor did I make a comment about how Texas handled him.

I said I was glad to see him go home.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
You're literally the only person I've read or talked to today who hasn't admitted they got the call right.

Pretty much everything in that graphic is wrong.

I'm interested in fairness, not just that my guys won anyway.
People just drop the issue because it didn't matter in the end.

The rules were incorrectly applied. The burden of proof is on the batter to get out of the way. He has lots of time to play with his shirt when the ball is in the pitcher's hands. He interfered with the play and there was no proof it was unintentional. Since the burden of proof is on him .... the play is automatically dead and he should receive a warning for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Do they shift Tulostrikeout to a little farther down in the order? Perhaps move Pillar up a bit?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Does anybody have further information about Loup's situation?

Will they be able to get an exemption to add a player in his place for the KC series and then put Loup back on the roster mid-series?

It would be nice if the Jays could activate Francis or even Buehrle to have a leftie in the pen if needed and then add Loup back to the roster if his family emergency (it's been so hush hush on what's happening I've been assuming he's away due to a sick child or very close family member) abates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad