WJC: Canada's #1 goaltender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Jason MacIsaac said:
What had Price done to deserve the number 1 job....playing extremely shaky at the under 18 for Canada, how about his subpar performence this year. The best goaltender will get the starting role and I think Ellis is the best option at the moment.

Price has been really excellent pretty much since the start of November. He struggled at first, but if we want to go with who is playing best now (or in camp I guess, let's jsut say "currently" as a sort of blanket statement) you can't argue that Price has been subpar.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Just wanted to point out that the last month Carey Price has been unreal for Tri City...and those who follow Tri City know just how horrible that team is, after a shaky start to the season, he's come back very strong right in time for Team Canada selection camp...

The last month, his stats read...

12GP - 7-1-3-1 - 1.88GAA - 0.938Sv% - 3 SO

I've believed from the beginning that Price will have to completely suck, to not make this team...whether or not he's #1 remains to be seen, but i'm almost 100% sure he'll make the team, in fact in my mind, he already is and the battle is between the 3 other goalies...

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
december 6, Try-city(Carey Price) beats Kamloops(Devan Dunbyk) 1-0, another shutout for Price sho stopped all 26 shoys while Dunbyk stopped 19. Price had a hell of a monthin november and is starting december with a lot of confidence as well, at full max potential, this guy will become a game breaker ala Luongo or Brodeur, he has the size,the glove, puck control, rebounds on corners(not in front of the net like Theodore)... Bob Gainey is making every hockey fan and annnouncer(including myself) look real dumb! i was pissed as hell like most hab fans when we drafted Price instead of Brulé and look what happends 3 months later, Brulé looks like the next Benoit Brunet and Price is tearing it up in the WHL.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Marcel the great! said:
Brulé looks like the next Benoit Brunet and Price is tearing it up in the WHL.
hyperbole.

Pavel Brendl also tore up the WHL at one point in time.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Marcel the great! said:
december 6, Try-city(Carey Price) beats Kamloops(Devan Dunbyk) 1-0, another shutout for Price sho stopped all 26 shoys while Dunbyk stopped 19. Price had a hell of a monthin november and is starting december with a lot of confidence as well, at full max potential, this guy will become a game breaker ala Luongo or Brodeur, he has the size,the glove, puck control, rebounds on corners(not in front of the net like Theodore)... Bob Gainey is making every hockey fan and annnouncer(including myself) look real dumb! i was pissed as hell like most hab fans when we drafted Price instead of Brulé and look what happends 3 months later, Brulé looks like the next Benoit Brunet and Price is tearing it up in the WHL.

A month does not a career make. Price still has a long way to go.

As for the present, his excellent play since the beginning of November will really help his chances of making Team Canada, which I'm sure is a big motivating factor behind his play. And if he makes Team Canada, this could turn out to be a great World Juniors to watch for Hab fans.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
I'm rooting for Carey Price...

For the backup I would like either Pogge or Ellis :)

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
Just wanted to point out that the last month Carey Price has been unreal for Tri City...and those who follow Tri City know just how horrible that team is, after a shaky start to the season, he's come back very strong right in time for Team Canada selection camp...

The last month, his stats read...

12GP - 7-1-3-1 - 1.88GAA - 0.938Sv% - 3 SO

I've believed from the beginning that Price will have to completely suck, to not make this team...whether or not he's #1 remains to be seen, but i'm almost 100% sure he'll make the team, in fact in my mind, he already is and the battle is between the 3 other goalies...

Like Price - Dubnyk started slow but has also been outstanding over the last month - in Dubnyk's last 12 games since Novemeber 5 he has a SP of .929 and and GAA of about 1.75.

Both guys play on terrible teams and are outstanding goalies - but if I HAD to choose - well Price is probably a smidge better right now. But these are the WJC goalies if Sutter has any sense.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
For those trying to debate the effectiveness (or lack there of) of Pogge this season:

Pogge has stellar statistics. He also has an excellent defense in front of him, that do not offer up a lot of shots. When he gets shots, he stops them. When he gets few shots against, he stops them. When he sees tons of rubber, he stops them.

Bottom line, he stops pucks.

He doesn't have the size and ability to take away the net like Dubnyk, that's certain.

He doesn't have the flair for making a spectacular save like Price, that's certain.

Pogge doesn't need to take up the entire net like Dubnyk. He's always square to the shooter and focused on the puck. His positioning allows him to make saves that Dubnyk might otherwise stop based on size.

Pogge doesn't need to have the flair for making a spectacular save. In fact, very rarely does he (aside from a nice glove or lateral movement across the crease from time to time). Pogge doesn't need to. His positioning allows him to make saves that Price might otherwise stop based on his flair for the dramatics.

The more I hear about Pogge and his statistics, the more I think of Jeff Glass last year. The more I hear about Pogge's defense in Calgary, I think about Kootenay last year. The more I think about the above two paragraphs, I think of Glass last year.

Funny thing is, Pogge's referenced Glass and what he was able to do a few times in the media. Seems like Pogge is following Glass considerably at this point.

(Please note I did not comment on where Ellis lies. I have not seen him, nor claim to know anything about his game. I've seen Dubnyk and Price a handful of times, enough to be comfortable to comment on their respective games.)

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Aaron Vickers said:
He doesn't have the size and ability to take away the net like Dubnyk, that's certain.

U make some excellent points as someone who has seen the three WHL goalies play (at least u sound like u have) unlike many posters, but one thing is Pogge does have the size he is listed as 6-3 or 6-4 depending where u look so size is one of his strong points.

Ryan O'Byrne

Jul 17, 2004
Ontario
I think they will go with Price and pogge .
That way they have a Goalie that can steal games and one that can step in and play solid like Glass did just in case Price blows the first game or 2

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Unlike fans from a certain team in this thread...i don't care who the goalie is as long as he gives us the best chance to win...of course i'm rooting for Price since he's Habs property, but if Sutter chooses Pogge, Dubnyk or Ellis ahead of him...i'll root for them just as much as I would Price...

This is an international tournament, who cares about team affiliations

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Ryan O'Byrne said:
I think they will go with Price and pogge .
That way they have a Goalie that can steal games and one that can step in and play solid like Glass did just in case Price blows the first game or 2
I think that's a good way to see it.

We have also to remember that if we only had Glass in goals this year, I don't think we would be able to reach the big final. We do need a G that will steal a game or two.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
Unlike fans from a certain team in this thread...i don't care who the goalie is as long as he gives us the best chance to win...of course i'm rooting for Price since he's Habs property, but if Sutter chooses Pogge, Dubnyk or Ellis ahead of him...i'll root for them just as much as I would Price...

This is an international tournament, who cares about team affiliations
You should, international tournies are a big part of development and confidence.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Habsaku said:
You should, international tournies are a big part of development and confidence.

:dunno: I just want to see Canada win...if Pogge (leafs prospect) gets picked instead of Price, then i'll root for Pogge during the tournament, and worry about why Price didn't make it later...

I just find it ridiculous people who root for a certain player to do bad, just so they're teams drafted player can take their place... :shakehead

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I would like to see Pogge win the starting job especially in the first game against Finland as he would face fellow leaf goalie prospect Tukka Rask

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Aaron Vickers said:
For those trying to debate the effectiveness (or lack there of) of Pogge this season:

Pogge has stellar statistics. He also has an excellent defense in front of him, that do not offer up a lot of shots. When he gets shots, he stops them. When he gets few shots against, he stops them. When he sees tons of rubber, he stops them.

Bottom line, he stops pucks.

He doesn't have the flair for making a spectacular save like Price, that's certain.

Pogge doesn't need to take up the entire net like Dubnyk. He's always square to the shooter and focused on the puck. His positioning allows him to make saves that Dubnyk might otherwise stop based on size.

Pogge doesn't need to have the flair for making a spectacular save. In fact, very rarely does he (aside from a nice glove or lateral movement across the crease from time to time). Pogge doesn't need to. His positioning allows him to make saves that Price might otherwise stop based on his flair for the dramatics.

The more I hear about Pogge and his statistics, the more I think of Jeff Glass last year. The more I hear about Pogge's defense in Calgary, I think about Kootenay last year. The more I think about the above two paragraphs, I think of Glass last year.

Funny thing is, Pogge's referenced Glass and what he was able to do a few times in the media. Seems like Pogge is following Glass considerably at this point.

You know ..

It wouldn't be a bad strategy for Team Canada and Brent Sutter to model his team and player personnel after the Flames/Hitmen Model ..

The WJC will lack experience as only dman Cam Barker returns and so the "awesome defensively" approach may in fact be the best one to defend against a high powered US sqaud .. Particularly when the Tournnament is on home ice and winning more crucial then ever for overall success of the event ..

The fact that 17 year old Jonathan Toews and 16 year old Angelo Esposito are at the winter selection camp is a good indicator that the forward and offensive situation is in doubt currently ..

Defense wins championships so this may be the best roll model to deploy

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
They have to pick the goaltender that best suits this team...

For example, last year, it was known that Canada would have a powerhouse team that probably would only allow 10-15 shots a game. Therefore, they needed a goalie in net that would take long streches without seeing any action and make saves when needed. Thats why they chose Glass, he suited the job perfectly.

This year is different, however as Canada doesn't really have a powerhouse team and are going to be in tough with the likes of the US and Russia. Therefore, they need a goalie that can steal games for them and keep them in the game when needed.

Going with this theory, Price is definately the best choice out of the 4, simply because nobody can steal games like he can.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I'm hoping we pick the guy who will win us the gold.

That being said I'd love to see the Leafs prospect Pogge steal the spot away, not sure how likely it is. But his confidence should be way up, and it'd be a big thing for the Leafs organization to have two goalies starting for WJC teams (Pogge, and Rask).

I don't really know enough about all the goalies to make an accurate bet on who is going to win the spot though.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Mackattack said:
They have to pick the goaltender that best suits this team...

For example, last year, it was known that Canada would have a powerhouse team that probably would only allow 10-15 shots a game. Therefore, they needed a goalie in net that would take long streches without seeing any action and make saves when needed. Thats why they chose Glass, he suited the job perfectly.

This year is different, however as Canada doesn't really have a powerhouse team and are going to be in tough with the likes of the US and Russia. Therefore, they need a goalie that can steal games for them and keep them in the game when needed.

Going with this theory, Price is definately the best choice out of the 4, simply because nobody can steal games like he can.

You are right on everything...But maybe Dubnyk can steal a couple of game all by himself too. They are both on a bad team and they both give a chance to their team to win. I still prefer Price because overall, he's better.

And like another poster said, a Price-Pogge duo would be great.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
Price will end up being the number 1 guy. It really would have been nice to see Kyle Moir from Swift Current atleast get an invite. Hes a goalie thats been keeping his awful team in games everytime hes in the net, but gets no recognition due to his teams poor play.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
vanwychen27 said:
U make some excellent points as someone who has seen the three WHL goalies play (at least u sound like u have) unlike many posters, but one thing is Pogge does have the size he is listed as 6-3 or 6-4 depending where u look so size is one of his strong points.

While Pogge is definitely bigger than 6'2 (I stood beside him last night), his size isn't something that is a significant advantage in net in terms of the way he plays. He's not the type of goaltender who stops pucks because he's big.

That's more to what I was referring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad