Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 80 40.6%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 20 10.2%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Pronman is a clown. Yakemchuk is nothing like Pietrangelo. He has excellent vision and is a very good passer. Anyone who ever watched him can tell. His backhand passes, sometimes even no look, are feared all across the WHL. Yakemchuk is also as consistent as it gets against the puck. As I already explained he's sometimes gambling to make a hit or create an advantage for his team but that shouldn't be confused with inconsistency. It's a strategy that can occasionally backfire even though it's mostly working nicely.

+/- is completely useless without context. Maxim Muranov had a fantastic 2024 (after a meh 2023) but comparing his +29 with Yakemchuk is comparing apples and oranges. Yakemchuk is consistently playing half of the game for a bad team...and he's playing the toughest minutes possible.
Yeah I watched a few shift by shift videos of him earlier after your write up, and I was extremely impressed by his first pass out of the defensive zone. At least one of the games I watched I don’t think he missed a single breakout pass, and some were fairly difficult stretch passes. He’s an exciting prospect, I’d be ok if that was our choice, even though I personally have a couple guys higher in my opinion.

Reactions: Kalv

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
A little bummed, Going to miss the draft, going to miss the new jersey unveiling if it happens on draft day, which I expect it will. Won’t even be able to check my phone since I’ll be on stage performing. But this is an important show, and sometimes hockey has to take a back seat.
Leo, don’t hold us in suspense. What will you be doing on stage and when will you be playing the Honda Center? :D

Reactions: MCB and Kalv

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leo, don’t hold us in suspense. What will you be doing on stage and when will you be playing the Honda Center? :D

IMG_6423.gif

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
There's more than one website where you can just copy/paste the link to the article and read it for free. It's not hard to find either. Simple google search.

Reactions: Terry Yake

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
The more I read the more I believe the dmen are going to be over-drafted because of their position, I guess. Again, it could be a case of overexposure, but none of them feel great.
None of the forwards after Celebrini feel great, either. Demidov and Lindstrom have the same level of question marks that any of the defensemen do.

People keep saying that "Player X isn't worthy of being the 3OA pick." But I don't know that anyone after Celebrini is in this draft.

Well, to each their own. If you enjoy it who am I to tell you what to do. Having said that, it has nothing to do with journalism. Buying data to flood people's inboxes with spam isn't what serious businesses do either and it's probably illegal as well especially with the unsubscribe option not working. This went on for months and it only stopped after the scam company was bought by the NY Times.
There's quite a bit of good journalism there. Katie Strang has done excellent work just in the hockey sphere.

Reactions: eaterfan

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
A little bummed, Going to miss the draft, going to miss the new jersey unveiling if it happens on draft day, which I expect it will. Won’t even be able to check my phone since I’ll be on stage performing. But this is an important show, and sometimes hockey has to take a back seat.
What do you do?

Reactions: MCB

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
What are you performing?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
None of the forwards after Celebrini feel great, either. Demidov and Lindstrom have the same level of question marks that any of the defensemen do.

People keep saying that "Player X isn't worthy of being the 3OA pick." But I don't know that anyone after Celebrini is in this draft.

There's quite a bit of good journalism there. Katie Strang has done excellent work just in the hockey sphere.
I don't see any question marks in Lindstrom's game at all. If teams are confident with his medical report then I don't see why he shouldn't be a great 2nd or 3rd overall pick.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I don't see any question marks in Lindstrom's game at all. If teams are confident with his medical report then I don't see why he shouldn't be a great 2nd or 3rd overall pick.

Not really a question mark but he isn't the most "thinking man's" style of player, can get forcing the game a bit. Though of course you don't have to be Einstein to be a really successful player when you're 6'4 with skill and a motor

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
He has a herniated disk from doing squats in the gym. That is something that he will carry with him his whole career and will degrade as time goes on. Big risk with a top pick.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He has a herniated disk from doing squats in the gym. That is something that he will carry with him his whole career and will degrade as time goes on. Big risk with a top pick.
That's why I mentioned it. Having said that, me and most hfboards members are no doctors and we haven't read his medical reports which I believe have been made available at least to teams potentially drafting him. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and wait what happens on draft day. I'm yet to read reports about teams putting Lindstrom on their no draft list. If anything he seems to be growing in popularity but ultimately it will all come down to how happy teams are with his medical files. The player himself doesn't seem to be too concerned about it.

Last edited:

eaterfan

Nov 29, 2023

This!

Other than McDavid there hasn't been a prospect without questions that I can remember. Last year's class was awesome and there were three three guys in Celebrini's tier, but that's unusual. After that, the top of this draft is every but as strong. And even the top of the draft last year had questions.

1. Bedard: did he really have the size to be on the Crosby McDavid level?
2. Fantilli: Hockey sense was weak
3. Carlsson: skating
4. Mitchkov: Russia and positional value
5. Smith: size and defense

If you think the defenseman in this class have questions, look at the forwards:

1. Demidov: size, skating, Russian Factor, level of competition, positional value
2. Lindstrom: injuries, not as good of production as Catton at every level
3. Catton: size
4: Sennecke: lack of production history, positional value

There are reasons to not draft anyone if you look hard enough. That's why they are called prospects. But if you don't like at least a couple of the top 5-6 Dmen in this class as worthy of going in the top 5 then you will rarely find one in any class.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This!

Other than McDavid there hasn't been a prospect without questions that I can remember. Last year's class was awesome and there were three three guys in Celebrini's tier, but that's unusual. After that, the top of this draft is every but as strong. And even the top of the draft last year had questions.

1. Demidov: size, skating, Russian Factor, level of competition, positional value

There are reasons to not draft anyone if you look hard enough. That's why they are called prospects. But if you don't like at least a couple of the top 5-6 Dmen in this class as worthy of going in the top 5 then you will rarely find one in any class.
Pretty much this…. I think the problem with the dmen is none of them really stick out from the other guys. But I’d take the top 5 dmen of this draft over the top dmen of last years draft

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not really a question mark but he isn't the most "thinking man's" style of player, can get forcing the game a bit. Though of course you don't have to be Einstein to be a really successful player when you're 6'4 with skill and a motor
Pretty much, I mean for the same reason we don't need Gauthier to be a play driver to be an effective winger for one of our kids, as long as the kid can 1) stay healthy and 2) play the game well within a defined structure, there's nothing wrong with a big body with raw talent who can let someone else dictate the flow of the x's and o's

Obviously you'd want as much high hockey IQ as possible but it's not as necessary for complimentary players.

I'm still concerned about the injury trouble. But if the scouting staff is confident it won't be a regular problem then f*** it.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This!

Most of the difference comes from Catton playing half of the game and Lindstrom being 2C behind Oasiz Wiesblatt. Lindstrom was on the top PP during playoffs but I don't think he was all season. I don't know if WHL P/60 stats are available anywhere but I'm sure they're pretty close when comparing Catton and Lindstrom. I have Catton at 10 but I actually don't really know why besides him being small. He's incredibly gifted and there's nothing wrong with his game. So if you don't mind drafting a smaller forward he's probably a better option at 3 than most defensemen.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

I don't have a subscription so I don't know what the article says other than Pronman has Yakemchuk at 3 and Wheeler has him at 13. Any highlights from subscribers (especially where they have Silayev ranked) would be appreciated!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad