Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I’d say it makes it more likely he’s traded, but they don’t have to trade him.

Gauthier-Carlsson-Demidov
Zegras-McTavish-Terry

would be fire.
I like the idea of 3 lines with them. Fill in the wings with Vatrano type bargain role players or decent/good vets looking for one more chance at a Cup. Throw those lines out there the last 5 minutes of your down 1. If we have 3 good foundations for lines, we won't have to over pay for vets.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I like the idea of 3 lines with them. Fill in the wings with Vatrano type bargain role players or decent/good vets looking for one more chance at a Cup. Throw those lines out there the last 5 minutes of your down 1. If we have 3 good foundations for lines, we won't have to over pay for vets.
I mean...

Gauthier - Carlsson - X
X - Zegras - Terry
X - McTavish - Demidov

That would set us up great for the future.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
This isn’t the 90s. 3rd lines are scoring lines on good teams.

It’s like saying Malkin is a bad pick because he a second liner lol.
There are 60 minutes a game and you want your top guys to get as much as possible. All it will lead to is one line getting like 15 minutes when they are capable of more. Also means that we have people on the top lines getting bigger minutes that are not the most capable in the team.

Its just unrealistic to think we have 8 legit top 6 players.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
There are 60 minutes a game and you want your top guys to get as much as possible. All it will lead to is one line getting like 15 minutes when they are capable of more. Also means that we have people on the top lines getting bigger minutes that are not the most capable in the team.

I don't think its unrealistic. At least while a number of them are on ELCs. Eventually stops becoming viable as guys salaries start matching their production. I do agree it means that guys are getting less minutes but that can lead to having more in the tank st the end of the game or season. There are some legitimate benefits.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
If our two pick 3s during our rebuild end up on the 3rd line then we have failed badly
I have never understood this argument. Isn't the goal to have better players on each line than the team you're playing? If the Ducks have two very good players on the third line, doesn't that mean they've done things right?

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

To counter, teams run out of energy the later the playoffs go. Having more talent spread around means reduced ice time and players with more energy. The teams that have to rely on their top 6 to eat up all the minutes never go very far. It also helps reduce injuries and creates competition. Seems like a win all around.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Well seems like everyone thinks we will be drafting a bunch more top 6 players. Hopefully that's how it works out and they all take team friendly deals

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Final Media/Scout Poll for the 2024 NHL Draft

Some really extensive comments on the OHL guys for this year's draft, well worth a read. It should sell anyone on why Jett Luchanko would be an excellent second pick in round one (likely would have to move up). High pace/high IQ is a combo we could definitely use. He really stood out at the u18s, constantly in motion yet making headsy decisions all over the ice. Just seems like he can be the perfect "glue guy" RW to play with your big skill forwards, or an ideal right handed 3C who brings everything except size. Best case scenario would be a Brayden Point type dynamic C (mentioned as a comparable in the article) who would bring some great contrast to Carlsson down the middle.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well seems like everyone thinks we will be drafting a bunch more top 6 players. Hopefully that's how it works out and they all take team friendly deals
I don’t think anyone has any real idea who were drafting…. But if you can’t fit them in they become good trade assets to fix other parts of the line up.

Whoever our scouts think are the best players at our spot is who we should grab, figure the rest out after you see players in the nhl

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I’m curious what everyone’s top 7 or 8 is now after doing some research. Here is mine

1) Demidov - love his motor to go along with the skill and him being taller than I originally thought
2) Silayev - love how he also brings physicality and aggressive to go along with the size and skating. He is only going to continue filling out. Could be best defensive d in draft.
3) Levshunov - did amazing at a very high level and is on a great trajectory. Has a good combination of what we need including size, skill, physicality, scoring instincts
4) Yakchuck - I see a ton of potential with his elite hands. Would have to simplify his game (not unusual). Love the hands and elite shot. He is a great penalty killer and in some situations good on d but needs a lot of work in transition d and d zone positioning. I’m not worried about his lack of top end speed.
5)Lidstrom - perfect compliment to the team. I question his iq but he could transform the makeup of the team and make us brutally tough in the playoffs.
6) Buium - I can easily see him being the 2nd best in the draft behind Celebrini. Love his edges and iq. I just generally much prefer size and physicality on the backend. If he had elite speed I’d feel different.
7) Dickinson - love his package but I don’t think we would get enough from him at 3oa and compared to the upside of the others. I would be unhappy with this pick despite me putting him last of the group I consider realistic.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017

Some really extensive comments on the OHL guys for this year's draft, well worth a read. It should sell anyone on why Jett Luchanko would be an excellent second pick in round one (likely would have to move up). High pace/high IQ is a combo we could definitely use. He really stood out at the u18s, constantly in motion yet making headsy decisions all over the ice. Just seems like he can be the perfect "glue guy" RW to play with your big skill forwards, or an ideal right handed 3C who brings everything except size. Best case scenario would be a Brayden Point type dynamic C (mentioned as a comparable in the article who would bring some great contrast to Carlsson down the middle.
I like Luchanko also but seems like the recent hype guarantees someone will take him pretty early. Same with Beaudoin to some degree.

Some interesting players worth taking a stab at 31 (trying to manifest an Oilers loss into existence) and 38.

Specifically have an eye on Connelly (don’t think he’ll still be there but most likely player to fall), Hutson, Stiga, Pulkkinen, Artamonov, Jiricek.

Ryder Ritchie is a DND for me purely based on last name.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I like Luchanko also but seems like the recent hype guarantees someone will take him pretty early. Same with Beaudoin to some degree.

Some interesting players worth taking a stab at 31 (trying to manifest an Oilers loss into existence) and 38.

Specifically have an eye on Connelly (don’t think he’ll still be there but most likely player to fall), Hutson, Stiga, Pulkkinen, Artamonov, Jiricek.

Ryder Ritchie is a DND for me purely based on last name.
Same. Its not like he's in a position to where the Ducks would consider him so i'd say pass based on his name lol.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I’m curious what everyone’s top 7 or 8 is now after doing some research. Here is mine

1) Demidov - love his motor to go along with the skill and him being taller than I originally thought
2) Silayev - love how he also brings physicality and aggressive to go along with the size and skating. He is only going to continue filling out. Could be best defensive d in draft.
3) Levshunov - did amazing at a very high level and is on a great trajectory. Has a good combination of what we need including size, skill, physicality, scoring instincts
4) Yakchuck - I see a ton of potential with his elite hands. Would have to simplify his game (not unusual). Love the hands and elite shot. He is a great penalty killer and in some situations good on d but needs a lot of work in transition d and d zone positioning. I’m not worried about his lack of top end speed.
5)Lidstrom - perfect compliment to the team. I question his iq but he could transform the makeup of the team and make us brutally tough in the playoffs.
6) Buium - I can easily see him being the 2nd best in the draft behind Celebrini. Love his edges and iq. I just generally much prefer size and physicality on the backend. If he had elite speed I’d feel different.
7) Dickinson - love his package but I don’t think we would get enough from him at 3oa and compared to the upside of the others. I would be unhappy with this pick despite me putting him last of the group I consider realistic.
Madden says the Ducks will draft an impact player. Of the 7 players mentioned above, I see 3 potential impact players...Demidov, Lindstrom, and Silayev.

Reactions: Tokioduck and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Some really extensive comments on the OHL guys for this year's draft, well worth a read. It should sell anyone on why Jett Luchanko would be an excellent second pick in round one (likely would have to move up). High pace/high IQ is a combo we could definitely use. He really stood out at the u18s, constantly in motion yet making headsy decisions all over the ice. Just seems like he can be the perfect "glue guy" RW to play with your big skill forwards, or an ideal right handed 3C who brings everything except size. Best case scenario would be a Brayden Point type dynamic C (mentioned as a comparable in the article) who would bring some great contrast to Carlsson down the middle.
I like him, thanks for bringing him up. Not sure if Pat does as he's below 6-0 tho.
I thought Brindley would had been an awesome pick last year, but seems Pat is too focused on size

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I like him, thanks for bringing him up. Not sure if Pat does as he's below 6-0 tho.
I thought Brindley would had been an awesome pick last year, but seems Pat is too focused on size

He's slightly shorter than average but isn't small or slight by any means. Measured at the combine at 5'11 187 and he's still 17 years old until late August. Shouldn't have any trouble bulking up to around 200 lbs and won't be pushed around at all.

He killed it in the combine testing as well. Finished first overall among all prospects in both left hand and right hand grip strength, which is actually pretty crazy and means he's strong on that stick already. Mostly huge kids testing high for that category otherwise.

Grip Strength: Left (Pounds)

1. Jett Luchanko - 172

2. Cayden Lindstrom - 168

3. Eriks Mateiko - 166

4. Sacha Boisvert - 163

5. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard - 160

6. Kamil Bednarik - 159

7. Cole Beaudoin - 156

8. Ethan Procyszyn - 156

9. Adam Kleber - 156

10. Gabriel Eliasson - 155

Grip Strength: Right (Pounds)

1. Jett Luchanko - 175

2. Cayden Lindstrom - 166

3. Colton Roberts -165

4. Gabriel Eliasson - 162

5. Jack Pridham - 162

6. Eriks Mateiko - 161

7. Michael Brandsegg-Nygard - 159

8. Tanner Henricks - 159

9. Kamil Bednarik - 158

T10. Cole Beaudoin, Ethan Procyszyn, John Mustard - 158

Luchanko also finished first overall for 'mean power output', second overall for vertical jump, fourth for 'no arm' jump (both categories won by EJ Emery), second overall for 'pro agility right' and eight for squat jump. Translation = explosive athlete who will likely be strong as an ox at full maturity.

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad