Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Another thing Madden has said is that pick 3 will be an impact player within 5 years. That seems like a long time so the player we select may have a bit of development to go until they are ready
That doesn’t sound like Buium. That sounds more like a Silayev or Sennecke, or even Parekh.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Another thing Madden has said is that pick 3 will be an impact player within 5 years. That seems like a long time so the player we select may have a bit of development to go until they are ready
One year is also within five years. I don’t think this was remotely a hint at who they’re taking, just a general platitude that whoever goes there is expected to be pretty good.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
“And Buium is a winner. He's won everywhere he's been. He led that Denver team to a championship. He's a really smart, mobile modern defenseman. That's the way I would put it.‘
Unfortunately, the Ducks already have two really smart mobile modern D in Mintyukov and Zellweger and they are both 20 and play the left side. And that's not even considering LaCombe. I'm just not sure where Buium fits unless trades are made or someone is moved to the right side (which may not be ideal). And Buium doesn't address the issue of getting bigger on D. Great player but maybe not a great fit for the Ducks IMO.

Reactions: Deuce22

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Unfortunately, the Ducks already have two really smart mobile modern D in Mintyukov and Zellweger and they are both 20 and play the left side. And that's not even considering LaCombe. I'm just not sure where Buium fits unless trades are made or someone is moved to the right side (which may not be ideal). And Buium doesn't address the issue of getting bigger on D. Great player but maybe not a great fit for the Ducks IMO.
I’m not saying that he’s a great fit, I was just pointing out that saying “he’s not an impact player within 5 years” isn’t the reason why.

Reactions: tomd
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Buium played the right side all year in Denver and Zellweger also has played there a ton. More importantly Madden spent half of his availability talking about how this kind of logic can’t really factor into your process because you don’t know how these guys will turn out and what your needs will actually be when they do. He did also say that this year was so close that maybe you look at need more than usual but I highly doubt they’re writing a guy off because of fit.

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
Madden had some interesting comments

He said they've debated 8 players for the 3rd pick

When asked about the defensemen his comments about Silayev stood out to me, when you call a kid a unicorn that means you think he can be special
He also mentioned that Silayev “had a great start to the season and had to deal with some injuries in the second half.”

To me, that sounds like they believe he’s more like the player in the first half than the second half.

He said they’re not afraid to take Russians. Plus Silayev fits the mold of high hockey sense and competitive + he’s huge.

Add it all up, and I think Silayev’s the guy they take

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I can’t speak to any political stuff going on, but I am slightly concerned that Silayev wasn’t at the combine or the agent’s showcase.

To me, that’s a way bigger concern than Demidov’s status.

At the end of the day, I don’t think it’s a huge deal. Just draft who you deem the best player.
If it helps, Silayev's coach is Igor Larianov who still has a lot of connections and communication with the NHL. That's why before the agent showcase (that Demidov attended) the "Russian" factor wasn't seen as much of an issue for Silayev

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Buium played the right side all year in Denver and Zellweger also has played there a ton. More importantly Madden spent half of his availability talking about how this kind of logic can’t really factor into your process because you don’t know how these guys will turn out and what your needs will actually be when they do. He did also say that this year was so close that maybe you look at need more than usual but I highly doubt they’re writing a guy off because of fit.
I would be surprised - not shocked - if the Ducks drafted Buium only because the organizational depth at LHD is so good and he is another 6' D and I don't think that fits with what PV is trying to build. I realize he may have played the right side in college but that doesn't mean he can do it at higher levels necessarily. I don't know. Talent is undeniable though. I understand that others will feel differently.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
If it helps, Silayev's coach is Igor Larianov who still has a lot of connections and communication with the NHL. That's why before the agent showcase (that Demidov attended) the "Russian" factor wasn't seen as much of an issue for Silayev
And as we discussed on the board recently, Verbeek and Larionov were teammates in Detroit for 2 years back in the day. So they definitely should feel comfortable talking to each other about Silayev.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Dostwall

Jun 17, 2024
So if the Ducks pick a defenseman at 3, what do they do at 31/32 and 35? Two forwards? One forward + one defenseman? I don’t think they’d take 3 defenseman.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So if the Ducks pick a defenseman at 3, what do they do at 31/32 and 35? Two forwards? One forward + one defenseman? I don’t think they’d take 3 defenseman.
I think you just take whoever you think is the best, and figure out the rest when the time comes... if we end up taking 3 dmen.... and they all pan out... you flip em for help up front.

I think Sabres will need to unload some forward prospects in a couple years time, so we may be a match made in heaven with them at that time.

That being said, i imagine there is some forwards we like in round 2 that we can snag with 1 of those picks... i also dont really expect us to make every pick(i either see us packaging picks to move up a bit, or using them to get help on the roster now)

Reactions: lwvs84 and Dostwall

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
BPA, but if they have several guys ranked similar, adding another big, tough defensive RD and a forward probably. 3 D is also possible since everyone is looking for defense, it'll be easier to move. Don't think they'll go 3 forwards, though.

Reactions: Dostwall

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Makes me wonder if we take a forward, is it the writing on the wall for Z, or am I just overthinking this. Lol.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Makes me wonder if we take a forward, is it the writing on the wall for Z, or am I just overthinking this. Lol.

Overthinking.

Zegras, above all the smoke/speculation is still a young player with a lot of promise. Even with my skeptism in 'Cronin and his cronies', he will thrive once again.

Now with the whole McGroarty situation.. Really think Anaheim should trade their late first for him.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Overthinking it, this exact scenario is a big reason why Madden talked about how you can’t make need much of a factor. Like let’s say they take Demidov because they think they’ll trade Zegras and need to fill that hole, only for Zegras to break out and sign and extension and now the move you think you made to fill a need only added to something you have an overabundance of. Or vice versa, you take Silayev solely because you need a D and then Detroit offers you Mo Seider for Z and now you have way too many of those. Just have to play the cards you’re dealt and figure the rest out as you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad