Speculation: With the third pick in the 2024 NHL draft the Anaheim Ducks select...(Draft is June 28th @ 4pm PT. ESPN. ESPN+)

Who do the Ducks take at pick 3?

• Ivan Demidov

Votes: 37 18.3%
  • Anton Silayev

Votes: 36 17.8%
  • Artyom Levshunov

Votes: 81 40.1%
  • Cayden Lindstrom

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • Sam Dickinson

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Zeev Buium

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • Carter Yakemchuk

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Who is suggesting we take Sennecke at 3?

That would be an incredible reach and questions will have to be answered.
Meh I don’t mind it I think sennecke is going a lot higher than people think…. He prob should be the 3rd forward off board after celebrini and Demidov

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Iv been researching up Sennecke since the rumour we are interested and damn he would complete the Gauthier/Carlsson first line very nicely. I can see why the Ducks were linked to him.

2 years ago he was 5'10 now he measures in at 6'2.75. NHL scout poll had him ranked top 2 in stickhandling, hockey sense and playmaking.

He had a massive end of the year which has seen him shoot up draft boards finishing the season with 42 points in 34 games (1.24 points-per-game) and elevated that production further in the OHL playoffs scoring 10 goals and 22 points in 16 games (1.38 points-per-game).

"He has a nice combination of size and strength, brings a heavy shot, plays a 200-foot game and has a solid work ethic. "

"He had a growth spurt to 6-foot-2 and maintained a level of skill and skating ability from when he was a smaller player that keeps him particularly dangerous offensively. He plays aggressive enough off the puck and is an exciting player with it."

"Sennecke can definitely handle the puck. He’s got extremely soft hands and a confidence on it, even under pressure spinning and weaving off the wall or attacking right into defenders with his stick skill — regularly finding his way out of tough spots and traffic with craft and creativity. The puck just sticks to him."

"He's 6-foot-2, skates quite well for his size and has game-breaking skill. He's one of the more creative puckhandlers in the draft, and that he can make those difficult plays at full speed makes him highly intriguing for the NHL level."

"He isn’t afraid to rough it up and get into the dirty areas to win puck battles and is a very underrated passer, too. Sure, he got to play with one of the OHL’s top players in Cal Ritchie, but Sennecke is not getting carried – he is a powerhouse himself."

"He possesses a rare anticipation quality where if he doesn't have the puck on his stick, he soon will. He is a cerebral forechecker, consistently breaking up first passes on opposing breakouts. He reads how pucks will bounce loose from board battles so he can pick them up in stride. He's also perennially open as a passing option regardless of where the puck is on the ice."

He had dinner with Columbus and Utah so they are keen on him too.

Still think a D is the way to go but I can see us finalising our future top line with Sennecke.

The more I read about him, the more I like him as well. Especially after watching a team like the Panthers flourish

Reactions: Rasp

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Not sure if you are jesting but it's not an entirely unreasonable take...
A little column A, a little column B.

I think it’s an option for a trade target, but I think that it’d be more indicative of a trade down. I can’t see a Zegras return only being a 5–10 pick, and I don’t see any other way to get a pick in that range other than packaging a very large number of picks, and even then I don’t see that happening where another team wants a ton of 2nd’s and 3rd’s for the pick.

I would say trade down, significant gap to a Zegras trade, significant gap to trading all the 2nd’s and 3rd’s

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I thought the McTavish hype and rise was crazy in the month before his draft. The Sennecke rise is taking it to a whole other level.

McTavish at least dominated the U-18 in his draft year.

I will be shocked if they take a forward. Especially with that seems like 3 potential top pairing RHD, and another LHD that plays the right side. Then the 2 LHD that play the left side are both prototypical Madden-style picks in Buium and Dickinson. If they take a forward that tells me they truly didnt see any of the defensemen as top pairing guys, which would be crazy.

I know everyone wants to be the Panthers and b, but this is hopefully the last top 5 pick for the next 15 years, and do you guys really feel comfortable with Luneau as the best shot at a top pairing RHD?

It only makes sense to me if a Z for a defensemen trade is happening.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Wheeler posted an anonymous draft survey featuring scouts, executives, and staff from teams. Here are some highlights:
-They were asked who of the top 6 D (Levshunov, Silayev, Parekh, Buium, Yakemchuk, Dickinson) were their favorite of that group, and who was their least favorite. Levshunov got the most "favorite" votes and Yakemchuk got the most "least favorite" votes.
-Solberg, Jiricek, and Hutson all got votes for the best D after the top 6.
-He asked prospects to name the "most talented" (not "best") draft prospect is (excluding teammates). Here are the results:
Screenshot 2024-06-17 at 8.28.56 AM.png

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Looks like all of our discussed options are in the T11 group (except for Silayev who doesn't even make the list).
:help:

View attachment 883614
It should be mentioned that almost none of the surveyed players have even played against Silayev or seen him in person before. And there was a quote in there from a player who said that he only voted for Demidov based off of Instagram highlights.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Looks like all of our discussed options are in the T11 group (except for Silayev who doesn't even make the list).
:help:

View attachment 883614
Its a perfect example of why this poll means nothing, and actually will mislead people.

How many draft eligible prospects took part in this poll that play in the CHL? How many in the USHL/NCAA? How many in the KHL?

Of course they are going to vote for guys they played against. I'm actually surprised Demidov got any votes.

Reactions: rlstine

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Has us taking dickinson. We are now projected to take just about everyone, I guess.
Well, it will be good to know we will have at least one review to rally around when the pick finally comes in and some people lose their mind. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducks DVM

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Reactions: Kalv

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
I don't really believe it but I kind of hope the Sennecke rumors are true. I can't see him going 3rd but the kid has insane skills and the potential is sky high since he started playing physical later in the year.

Did anybody elaborate on what the supposed off-ice issues were about?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Did anybody elaborate on what the supposed off-ice issues were about?

Mark Edwards (Black Book editor-in-chief) touches on it here.

I would encourage anyone interested in the draft to read this thread, it's a good one.

To warn people, no specifics are given regarding sennecke.

Reactions: anezthes

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Iv been researching up Sennecke since the rumour we are interested and damn he would complete the Gauthier/Carlsson first line very nicely. I can see why the Ducks were linked to him.

2 years ago he was 5'10 now he measures in at 6'2.75. NHL scout poll had him ranked top 2 in stickhandling, hockey sense and playmaking.

He had a massive end of the year which has seen him shoot up draft boards finishing the season with 42 points in 34 games (1.24 points-per-game) and elevated that production further in the OHL playoffs scoring 10 goals and 22 points in 16 games (1.38 points-per-game).

"He has a nice combination of size and strength, brings a heavy shot, plays a 200-foot game and has a solid work ethic. "

"He had a growth spurt to 6-foot-2 and maintained a level of skill and skating ability from when he was a smaller player that keeps him particularly dangerous offensively. He plays aggressive enough off the puck and is an exciting player with it."

"Sennecke can definitely handle the puck. He’s got extremely soft hands and a confidence on it, even under pressure spinning and weaving off the wall or attacking right into defenders with his stick skill — regularly finding his way out of tough spots and traffic with craft and creativity. The puck just sticks to him."

"He's 6-foot-2, skates quite well for his size and has game-breaking skill. He's one of the more creative puckhandlers in the draft, and that he can make those difficult plays at full speed makes him highly intriguing for the NHL level."

"He isn’t afraid to rough it up and get into the dirty areas to win puck battles and is a very underrated passer, too. Sure, he got to play with one of the OHL’s top players in Cal Ritchie, but Sennecke is not getting carried – he is a powerhouse himself."

"He possesses a rare anticipation quality where if he doesn't have the puck on his stick, he soon will. He is a cerebral forechecker, consistently breaking up first passes on opposing breakouts. He reads how pucks will bounce loose from board battles so he can pick them up in stride. He's also perennially open as a passing option regardless of where the puck is on the ice."

He had dinner with Columbus and Utah so they are keen on him too.

Still think a D is the way to go but I can see us finalising our future top line with Sennecke.

I've read a couple of scouting reports that Sennecke plays hero puck, or 1v1, far too much. A player with similar traits as Sennecke is Kent Johnson. Just on pure talent and skill, Johnson was the top of the draft, but he kept playing hero puck too much - could be part of the reason why he played wing in college instead of center and why he was selected 5th overall in the 2021 draft instead of higher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad